Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2024 7:50:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tveddy]
Today the daughter (4yo) and i started all the tomatoes, jalapenoes and herbs for the garden.

Should have enough to do plenty of tomato plants and give away any if i have too many. I have them in a heated garage set to 65 and on a heat mat. When they come up i have a couple grow lights. They should be getting pretty big by may when i put them out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Average last frost date here is May 15th. Last year buying plants was expensive about $5 each. Figure it will be higher this year.

For $3 worth of seeds I can start several varieties and hopefully have enough for 2 years. Going to start them in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Grow light $17
Heat mat $10
Trays and peat pots $30
Seed $35 will have enough for next year for most things.

Got
Cherry tomato
Yellow plum tomato
Cherokee tomato
Black krim tomato
Amish paste tomato
Zebra tomato
Beefsteak tomato
Jalapeno
Basil
Rosemary
Thyme
Cilantro

So we should be good on salsa and pasta sauce...
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:58:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bulldog8] [#3]
Looking forward to it myself. I start ours around the middle of March and transplant them into the garden around the first weekend in May. (Derby day in Kentucky)

I used to start the seeds in the little peat pellets then transplant to a small peat pot after the second true leaf. Now I start them in Solo cups with drain holes in the bottom. I leave them in the cups all the way through hardening for transplanting to the garden.

Have you started tomatoes from seeds before? Lots of light, air moving across them and some cool temperatures when they about 2 weeks past true leaves has helped me to keep them from getting leggy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bulldog8:
Looking forward to it myself. I start ours around the middle of March and transplant them into the garden around the first weekend in May. (Derby day in Kentucky)

I used to start the seeds in the little peat pellets then transplant to a small peat pot after the second true leaf. Now I start them in Solo cups with drain holes in the bottom. I leave them in the cups all the way through hardening for transplanting to the garden.

Have you started tomatoes from seeds before? Lots of light, air moving across them and some cool temperatures when they about 2 weeks past true leaves has helped me to keep them from getting leggy.
View Quote

I have not. I had planned on repotting them to pot i can sit outside on nicer days this spring. Maybe i dont need to repot. Just set outside
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:00:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
I plan to do bucket maters this year.  

I haven't done this in years, and I am interested to see your progression.  

If I keep my seeds at 70 or above, would I need a heat mat?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Spinach and lettuce are already sprouting in the raised bed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Thanks
View Quote

Im guessing you would be fine. Plus its still getting cold here. We should have another cold snap next week and usually get our last freeze sometime just before memorial day
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Autodog:
Spinach and lettuce are already sprouting in the raised bed.
View Quote

Thats awesome. I always heard my dad talk about how jealous he was of some farmer he knew around brownsville cause he got 2 harvests of milo a year
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:26:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tango] [#9]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Thanks
View Quote

I have a couple of pots slightly bigger than 5 gallon buckets. I have them at the base of my deck steps each year with maters. Also some in the flower beds with peppers. Works great each year. You have to water them more since its raised.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:51:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Landshark9025] [#10]
I picked about a quart and a half of cherry tomatoes tonight. They are starting to come in bigger groups now. This may hold for a few days before I have more to pick.

My regular tomatoes are just starting to ripen. I'm hoping to have enough ripen at the same time to can some to go with the next crop of Okra. So far only three are turning. There are a LOT on the vines. All some sort of beefsteak variety. All determinate. I tried staking them up and using cages, but they just got too big and heavy. Packet said to just let them go. No pruning needed. We'll see how that goes.

Next time I think I'm going to do indeterminate and try to get them to climb. I like the looks of some of them on a trellis where there seems to be a vine with minimal leaves at the top and a lot of tomatoes.
Attachment Attached File

I need to learn how to prune....

(that's an image I stole, not mine)
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Landshark9025:
I picked about a quart and a half of cherry tomatoes tonight. They are starting to come in bigger groups now. This may hold for a few days before I have more to pick.

My regular tomatoes are just starting to ripen. I'm hoping to have enough ripen at the same time to can some to go with the next crop of Okra. So far only three are turning. There are a LOT on the vines. All some sort of beefsteak variety. All determinate. I tried staking them up and using cages, but they just got too big and heavy. Packet said to just let them go. No pruning needed. We'll see how that goes.

Next time I think I'm going to do indeterminate and try to get them to climb. I like the looks of some of them on a trellis where there seems to be a vine with minimal leaves at the top and a lot of tomatoes.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/indeterminate-tomato-variety-1403423-03--3139183.JPG

View Quote

I am planning to do squash on a trellis. Should make finding the squash easier before its gianormous
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tveddy:

I am planning to do squash on a trellis. Should make finding the squash easier before its gianormous
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365808/indeterminate-tomato-variety-1403423-03--3139183.JPG

Cool. My next set of cucumbers I'm going to try a trellis. For some reason I keep getting anthracnose. It just follows the vine. I have some cantaloupe and watermelon going now and I hope I avoid it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool. My next set of cucumbers I'm going to try a trellis. For some reason I keep getting anthracnose. It just follows the vine. I have some cantaloupe and watermelon going now and I hope I avoid it.
View Quote

Its dry enough here that i have never heard of that. We dont have much fungus problems
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:01:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TN-MadDog] [#14]
I started tomatoes, peppers (jalapeños and bells), eggplant, lemon basil, parsley, and oregano yesterday.

They are in seed starting trays on a heat mat in a greenhouse. So plenty of light and there are circulation fans running 24/7 and exhaust fans that come on when it gets hot to expose them to moving air.

This is my first time starting from seeds indoors so it will be a learning experience. Hopefully I can keep them watered enough without over watering.

I’ll transfer them to 4” pots and/or solo cups at some point. Plan to put them in the garden around 5/1.

If These do good I’ll have plenty to give away.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
I started tomatoes, peppers (jalapeños and bells), eggplant, lemon basil, parsley, and oregano yesterday.

They are in seed starting trays on a heat mat in a greenhouse. So plenty of light and there are circulation fans running 24/7 and exhaust fans that come on when it gets hot to expose them to moving air.

This is my first time starting from seeds indoors so it will be a learning experience. Hopefully I can keep them watered enough without over watering.

I’ll transfer them to 4” pots and/or solo cups at some point. Plan to put them in the garden around 5/1.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/image_jpg-3139609.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/image_jpg-3139612.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/image_jpg-3139613.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/D52AE260-E0DB-4824-9B0F-3D80BEA50BB0_jpe-3139620.JPG
View Quote

Thats a heck of a setup
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I may have missed it but is anybody using heirloom seeds?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bulldog8:

View Quote

Thank you for this post. Mine got way too leggy last year.
I also use solo cups. I prefer the clear (colored) so I can see the roots. Weird I know but kind of cool to see the bottoms fill up with roots.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#18]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/image_jpg-3139609.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/image_jpg-3139612.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/image_jpg-3139613.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/D52AE260-E0DB-4824-9B0F-3D80BEA50BB0_jpe-3139620.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Thats a heck of a setup
View Quote

Originally Posted By dubbel_tap69:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View Quote

Thanks, I just get to use one little corner. The rest belongs to my wife’s orchid growing operation.

This is the other greenhouse. Not an inch to spare out there.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I wish your wife would do a youtube channel about growing orchids.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

Thanks, I just get to use one little corner. The rest belongs to my wife’s orchid growing operation.

This is the other greenhouse. Not an inch to spare out there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35314/image_jpg-3139675.JPG

I wish your wife would do a youtube channel about growing orchids.

She might do that someday although there are probably plenty already out there.

She has gotten pretty good at it and knows a lot about it. I'm mainly the manual labor.

The breeding/hybridizing is the complicated and difficult part. The rest is really pretty easy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a little white mold on the peat pots so they are now uncovered. Probably should have uncovered them earlier. Everything is starting to sprout
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a little white mold on the peat pots so they are now uncovered. Probably should have uncovered them earlier. Everything is starting to sprout
View Quote

All my tomatoes have sprouted but none of the peppers have sprouted.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#25]
My plants are looking pretty good. I’m going to transplant them to some 4” pots that we have. Any suggestions on when to transfer?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm pissed off that my jalape os haven't arrived yet. I wanted to plant stronger plants when the frost was gone. My Roma are behind as well.

I'm not doing a great variety. 2, maybe 3 varieties of cherry tomatoes, and Roma. I'm going to sun-dry them. Growing some habe ero for the wife.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Best source for seeds?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I got my seeds off amazon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#29]

I usually shift my cell starts up to a 4" pot once I can pull them put of the cell easily. Here in East TN, I don't put them in the ground until 5/15 at the earliest.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By entropy:
Best source for seeds?
View Quote

For seeds I like to use Baker Creek or Seed Savers Supply.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mohawk17:

I usually shift my cell starts up to a 4" pot once I can pull them put of the cell easily. Here in East TN, I don't put them in the ground until 5/15 at the earliest.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mohawk17:

I ended up watching some videos and got a good idea about when to transfer.

Did a few and decided it was too soon

Will be doing some today that have gotten pretty big

I was thinking about planting around 5/1 but will decide based on the weather forecast at the time

Starting to think I started my seeds too soon. Hopefully they will do ok.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I can remember growing up in TN. Dad would never plant a garden till after Good Friday. Granted most were planted from seed. Tomatoes were always store bought plants about 12 inches tall.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I started my tomatoes yesterday and normally transplant them to the garden the first weekend on May. (Meade County KY)

36 Solo cups, Cherokee Purple, Dolly Parton, Sun Sugar and Black Plumb. We normally have 45 tomato plants in the garden with our starts and the remaining a mix of hybrids that we buy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#37]
What is the best way to get those seedlings out of the small plastic starter cup to transplant?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
What is the best way to get those seedlings out of the small plastic starter cup to transplant?
View Quote

I'm a newbie at this but I saw a few different methods on youtube videos.

One was using a wide flat blade screw driver

Another was using a wooden tongue depressor type stick

A third was squeezing the bottom of the cup to push them out

I've tried the screw driver and tongue depressor methods and both work ok.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJ7365:

Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#41]
This is my first time growing seedlings. They seem to be doing fair. Some were a bit leggy at first. I’m growing in a greenhouse without any supplemental light. We’ve had a lot of cloudy days so that hasn’t help. I’ve repotted all the tomatoes and most of the peppers. I have a few other odds and ends still in the seed trays.

Some were getting pretty so I fed them some epsom salts and then some fertilizer a few days later. I grew way too many thinking that I would lose a lot of them. Still a long ways to go till planting time.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#45]
All my seedlings are now transplanted. Some look better than others but I have only lost a few.

I have way too many in any case.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:50:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top