Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2024 11:05:20 PM EDT
Anyone have any input on how to gauge alignment of axles/tires on a trailer?

I pulled my trailer back to its storage spot yesterday, and as I was walking around after we unhitched, I thought the wheels looked a little wonky.

It was on an even surface, although a bit on an incline.  Each side looked a little off.  I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things, maybe the rear wheels were squatting a little bit since it was on a subtle incline?

I towed the trailer about 45 miles from a shop to get some electrical work done, and I thought it was swaying a bit, but I was towing with a regular hitch on my F350, going about 75mph in a somewhat windy stretch of freeway.  But after looking at the tires, I'm wondering if the axles are out of alignment.  Or maybe I was driving too fast.

We have a trip to the Grand Canyon in 3 weeks, I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to run it by a local shop and have them look at it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:40:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deerranger] [#1]
Get it on a flat pad, jack it off the ground and gently let it back down. Take 2 jack stands, extend the all the way up and run a string 5 feet in front of the front axel and 5 feet behind the real axel.
Have someone move the stands in twords the tires slowly while you watch.
Do the tops, centers and bottoms.
It is not perfect but it will tell you if a axel is bent or not.
Edit: you could also buy one of these and tow the trailer 10 or 15 miles on a warm dry road and check the temps of each tire. Try to shoot the inside and outside of each tire and see if you have a pair scuffing.

They are only about $30.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
You could have an axel bent, a hanger bent, a bushing worn out, hanger could be cracked or bent,  or the axle hangers could be welded from factory offset.   There's several different levels of possibilities.

I had a single axle that rode rough.  I jacked it up, put it on blocks and took the wheels off.  I put a jack under the axle and lifted slowly.  I could see the bushings were all gone because bolt heads moved in shackles before they moved.  All new shackles, bushings, and bolts fixed my problem.

Camper like OP has I'd look at shackle hangers for cracks at top frame interface and if shackle hanger has bent left or right.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Your suspension isn't adjustable, and something is bent and/or broken.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By astrocreep96:
Anyone have any input on how to gauge alignment of axles/tires on a trailer?

I pulled my trailer back to its storage spot yesterday, and as I was walking around after we unhitched, I thought the wheels looked a little wonky.

It was on an even surface, although a bit on an incline.  Each side looked a little off.  I'm not sure if I'm just seeing things, maybe the rear wheels were squatting a little bit since it was on a subtle incline?

I towed the trailer about 45 miles from a shop to get some electrical work done, and I thought it was swaying a bit, but I was towing with a regular hitch on my F350, going about 75mph in a somewhat windy stretch of freeway.  But after looking at the tires, I'm wondering if the axles are out of alignment.  Or maybe I was driving too fast.

We have a trip to the Grand Canyon in 3 weeks, I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to run it by a local shop and have them look at it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105138/1000005728-3143541.jpg
View Quote
Check your springs and spring hangers.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, were you turning as you backed your trailer in? Mi

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By superd1911:

View Quote

Before you get all fancy with methods of repair and worry over cost,…

THIS!!

That is exactly how the wheels should look after having experienced a tight turn, either backwards or forwards.
It means the suspension is doing its job.

There is a LOT of stress on the axles and tires during maneuvering.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#7]

View Quote

Yes, I was.  Thank you and you're probably right.  I need to pull it somewhere flat and straight and look at it again.

To answer some other question, I do have an infrared gun but I haven't used it on the tires/wheels.

It's a 2021 and while I understand trailer qualities are spotty at best, I wouldn't think a bushing or hanger had failed just yet.

There haven't been any accidents or damage that would make me think I bent an axle.

They are Dexter torsion axles with the little arms that act as a suspension, they don't have a traditional leaf spring.

I think the obvious answer is to go back and pull it around to a parking lot this weekend and look at it on flat ground.  I repacked the bearings last fall and I have been meaning to drive it a little ways and check the temp on the wheels to make sure something isn't running hot as well.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
You likely parked it with a little side load from a turn.  There is sideload tension on the axles.  Seen it a million times.  

Pull it straight and check it again.  If they are still that way then it is time to worry.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:14:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#9]

Yes, I was.  Thank you and you're probably right.  I need to pull it somewhere flat and straight and look at it again.

To answer some other question, I do have an infrared gun but I haven't used it on the tires/wheels.

It's a 2021 and while I understand trailer qualities are spotty at best, I wouldn't think a bushing or hanger had failed just yet.

There haven't been any accidents or damage that would make me think I bent an axle.

They are Dexter torsion axles with the little arms that act as a suspension, they don't have a traditional leaf spring.

I think the obvious answer is to go back and pull it around to a parking lot this weekend and look at it on flat ground.  I repacked the bearings last fall and I have been meaning to drive it a little ways and check the temp on the wheels to make sure something isn't running hot as well.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Those are great axles, normally.  Twin axles - not so much.  There is no equalization between the axles, so under some conditions, one axle can be easily overloaded.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
@astrocreep96, was everything ok like we thought or did the wheels fall off?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
Your suspension isn't adjustable, and something is bent and/or broken.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: astrocreep96] [#12]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
View Quote

We're good, I think the poster that mentioned backing up while turning was correct.

We travelled 900 miles to Grand Canyon and did fine.

New problem, our solar controller shit the bed somehow (or a wire is loose) and I can't find it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I wasn't the first to suggest it, but I figured it was something like that about the axle alignment. Good to hear!

As far as electrical gremlins, I'm sorry to hear that while you are on the road. I'm not much help there, but good luck.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#14]

We're good, I think the poster that mentioned backing up while turning was correct.

New problem, our solar controller shit the bed somehow (or a wire is loose) and I can't find it.
View All Quotes

What kind of solar controller?  Use a multimeter to check the solar input,  if there is voltage there check the battery side for voltage.  On the battery side,  Ideally unhooked from the controller.  

There *should* be a solar side fuse.  And there *should* be a charge side fuse.  

Are there any battery cut switches in the solar system?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Goodn:

What kind of solar controller?  Use a multimeter to check the solar input,  if there is voltage there check the battery side for voltage.  On the battery side,  Ideally unhooked from the controller.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goodn:

It's a Go Power 30amp unit.

I checked the solar and battery fuses, they are good.  I tried doing a soft and hard reset on the controller with no luck.

I pulled some panels in the kitchen to trace the wire as best I could, and crawled around underneath along the frame and I couldnt find anything obviously wrong to my untrained eye.

There are a bunch of wires under the front bulkhead I can't easily access.

The batteries are functioning fine, we have power I just can't recharge.  I don't have a multimeter with me unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not uncommon for those solar controllers to crap the bed.  What model controller?  

Does it show solar coming in?  

Look for fuses at the batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top