Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2020 10:06:35 PM EDT
I know discussions about dog food can get interesting.

My 3 year old Labrador has been on Purina Pro Plan for the last year. The trainer he went to like most in the industry affiliated with field trials etc are big Purina loyalists and I understand why.

The breeder my dog cam from was a big fan of the Victor Hi Pro Plus. He was on it for his first year. I’m thinking of switching him back to the Victor. There are a lot of good reviews on it and they have advertising in Delta Waterfowl’s magazine now which shows me they are making an effort to take away some of Purina’s market share and show their support.

What experience/feedback/opinions do you have of the two foods and have any of you switched to the Victor? One point someone brought up on another forum was that Victor has less corn by products than the Pro Plan.

I’m hoping to get a discussion going here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:53:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: getalab] [#1]
As a trainer, the reason most of us use Purina, is it works.
Feeding multiple dogs over the years gives experience that
single dog owners can’t get.
Grains and moisture in a bag, can cause mold and other issues. Purina’s
production numbers always Insure product is fresh, and not sitting in a
warehouse waiting to be sold.
Cleanup and smell can vary between brands, and Purina is a winner
there as well. Availability during travel is a plus for Purina.
Word of mouth carries more weight for me, over magazine advertising.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an 8 month old Vizsla puppy that has been feed the Victor Hi-pro.

She is growing like a weed, up to 45 pounds already.    

Only down side is she Poops about 5 times a day.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Purina has corn and whoknows what else. The reason "professionals" use it is bc it is cheap. Just use any holistic brand
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
At almost $85 a bag there’s nothing cheap about the pro plan. But it does work good for all the hunt test dogs I know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap did y’all see the picture above my post?! 🥵

Also…. Does anyone have experience with the new Victor performance blend they’ve made with realtree?

We have been a pro plan family for quite a while but I’ve heard quite a bit about this new victor stuff but wanted to see if any one else on arf has experience.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]
my almost 10month old PP is on Pro 30/20. i usually use chicken and rice but couldnt find adult chicken and rice. so right now hes on puppy sport chicken and rice with adult salmon and rice and i can notice changes in him when he #2. when i switch to 100% adult i will probably go Salmon and Rice blend over chicken and rice. he was 65lbs 2 weeks ago at the vet cuz of his flea and tick med pound range. being 65lbs at almost 10 months he doesnt show it, all legs lol hope it helps
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Trainers are passing every penny through to the owners.  At $750 - $1500 each month at a trainer, the dog owner is not worried about an extra $35 on the bill for dog food.  So back to the previous statement.  The pros feed it because it works.  For field trial pointing breeds, they like to keep the dogs lean (less weight to carry means they can run faster and further).  It takes a nutrient rich kibble to walk that fine line and have the dogs at top performance.

The breeders do not get to pass on dogfood cost.  The cheaper they can get litter dropped, and the 8 - 10 week old pup out the door, the better off they are. I am not implying that any particular breeder does not care about their dogs...the good ones absolutely do, but their economics are different.

Purina spends more on testing and long term trials each YEAR than many of the other brands have spent in their history.  

I have a cousin that is a vet.  He recommends a high priced boutique dog food brand to the yap-yap dog folks, because he makes a nice margin selling it (the brand he sells guarantees that retail outlets pay a higher wholesale cost that Vets do...this lets them sell the overpriced shit a little cheaper that PetSmart.  No, I am not naming it.)   But he only recommends Prurina Pro to his hunting dog customers...and he does not sell that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Purina 30/20 for my dog. It works. He's as fit as can be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
None of you guys have been finding bugs in your purina? I've bought about 8 bags of it from 2 different places and 3 of the bags were full of cobwebs and little mite looking bugs. I haven't had that issue with any other brand of food.
Top Top