Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 6:29:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975]
What is the best pump style water filter? I’d like to be able to pump water out of Scepter water cans that have been in long term storage.

Examples…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been thinking I should get one recently so just in for the answers.
I was looking at this one: Katadyn
Seems to get good reviews across the internet.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife and I use the Katadyn hiker pro when out backpacking. Time to buy a new filter for it though. Wonderful piece of gear!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aleutianhunter] [#3]
I know you said pump style but after 15 years of pumping and hating every minute of it, I found the Platypus gravity system and will never go back. Fast and effortless Gravity filter
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using an MSR Miniworks for over twenty years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#5]
It's such a tough call between MSR and Katadyn because you look at the reviews and you read the high trouble rates for both. For MSR, it seems to be difficulty keeping the filter clean and low or no water flow. For Katadyn, it's lots of broken plastic parts issues. I have no doubt many are trouble free, but it seems like there are three bad reviews for every ten out there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:57:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#6]
The water should be clean when you fill the water cans and you should add an appropriate amount of bleach to the water to kill anything before storing it long term. Then replace the water every 6 to 12 months, or hit it up again with a little more bleach and shake.
Then there should not be any need to run it through a filter or purifier before using. Just open the cap to let air in, close the cap, and shake to aerate the water and get rid of the flat taste.
If the 47 pounds of a full 20L Scepter can is too heavy to lift then just tip it over to pour water out instead of pumping through a filter.

In a wilderness or SHFT scenario I would filter clean water into the water can and not put dirty water in them.
For this a gravity filter is going to be the least work. Get a 4 or 6 liter dirty water bag, fill it from your water source (stream, lake, beaver pond, cattle trough, etc.) and let gravity do the work for you instead of spending time and energy pumping. Get an extra filter to go with it.
If the water is silty then filter through a piece of cloth or coffee filters first. Even if there are tannins in the water and it looks like weak tea it is still safe to drink after filtering.
Then add some bleach to kill any viruses. Pool shock and solid bleach tablets have a long shelf life unlike liquid bleach which is only good for about 6 months.

Between the pumps you posted I would get the First Need if I was looking at using in a stationary or car based scenario. Just because it also filters viruses while the MSR and FS-TEC do not. Viruses are not typically a major concern in the U.S. backcountry but for SHTF situation I would want it in an urban or refugee situation because hygiene is going to be a problem and cause issues beyond cryptosporidium and giardia.

For backpacking I use a Sawyer Squeeze if it is just myself and a Platypus Gravity if there is 2 or more people with.
I'm also a bit paranoid about my water in the backcountry after an issue several years ago and will add a Micropur water purification tablet or use a Steripen on questionable water sources.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:19:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Retspag] [#7]
I don't have one yet but the
lifesaver wayfarer purifier is what I'm planning on buying down the line.
https://iconlifesaver.com/product/lifesaver-wayfarer/
the only real downside to it is the filter has a supposed 5 year shelf life, I'm hoping they'll make a vaccum packed version like some of there other filters.
I'm interested in it because it  filters out the smaller dimension viruses that other purifiers don't filter out (0.015 microns).
the only purifier that has the same micron size is the dubious looking
survivorfilter.com/
It looks like a generic Chinese filter, and they don't even call it a purifier.

Gravity filters/purifiers freak me out from a cross contamination standpoint, you have to get the dirty water into the upper bag without spilling it onto your clean water container.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have about a dozen mechanical filters, only a couple are rated for viruses, and anything rated for heavy metal contamination usually relies on the short-term use of activated carbon (which works, just have it stored/sealed in bulk or extra activated carbon filters stored properly).

Push filters are great until they get clogged up. Leverage filters usually have more leverage for easier pumping.

For stored water in 5-gallon cans? I would just treat them with a MIOX or similar solution as the only threat is likely biological and not viral. It's a lot cheaper and easier to treat in bulk with chemicals than a mechanical means.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Gravity is your friend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ROCK6:
I have about a dozen mechanical filters, only a couple are rated for viruses, and anything rated for heavy metal contamination usually relies on the short-term use of activated carbon (which works, just have it stored/sealed in bulk or extra activated carbon filters stored properly).

Push filters are great until they get clogged up. Leverage filters usually have more leverage for easier pumping.

For stored water in 5-gallon cans? I would just treat them with a MIOX or similar solution as the only threat is likely biological and not viral. It's a lot cheaper and easier to treat in bulk with chemicals than a mechanical means.

ROCK6
View Quote

I had treated them. Just wanted another safety net and to have in general. Thanks.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Used a Katadyn Pocket for many years in exotic lands.
Great in jungle, not so good in freezing lands.

Rongorongo
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1975:

I had treated them. Just wanted another safety net and to have in general. Thanks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/IMG_4293_jpeg-3205683.JPG
View Quote

Understood. I would just get a good hollow fiber gravit filter afrer chemical treatment...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If pump, Katadyn Combi (plastic body/ceramic/charcoal) or Pocket filter (aluminum body, ceramic).  

If gravity, Sawyer.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
The only pump I ever recommend is the Katadyn pocket. It’s outrageously expensive but it doesn’t have any working parts that are plastic and comes with a warranty-a lifetime warranty at that.

Years ago when I was looking for a water filter I went to the local REI where they had a fake river for you to play with all of the filters they had on display. Every single one of the plastic pump filters was broken, and that was inside a 70 degree store and not a northern Michigan winter.

A water filter is one of the most important pieces of gear you have, it needs to be reliable.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:12:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#15]
Suggest considering the water filter's mfr's level of support for a particular water filter.  Some can be almost completely re-built using easily available and relatively inexpensive kits-- but one has to have the kits in the first place.  Same thing with filters.

Plenty of "used" high-end water filters on ebay, some stupid cheap.  Re-build, and filter away.  Get spare re-build kits and filters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top