Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 11:05:52 PM EDT
Terrain is mostly flat.  I would not like to spend more than $5k, but not opposed to going up to $7k if the bang is worth the buck.  Based on preliminary research, it seems that the Toro Titan may be fitting, but would like to hear more from those with experience.

Any recommendations on brands and modes, deck width (i.e.: is wider always better?), commercial vs. residential or anything else of relevance?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#1]
4-5 acres, commercial, even the better home models will nickel and dime you pretty quickly, a commercial quality one will cost more but it's designed to make money by running all day.

Ferris, scag, Kubota, Gravely, and so on. Spend a bit more and go 60-72 inch, 72 if it's truly flat.

I'd really start at about 8-10K and splurge on the air ride/suspension seat. Money very well spent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
52 Gravely here with the Kaw engine

4 acres,nice cut no problems
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By abnk:
Any recommendations
View Quote

Find a neighboring farmer to cut & bale it for hay for you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#4]
Key question - do you have an ATV?   If you do, or probably even a garden tractor, get a tow-behind.   I like mine for doing trails.

https://www.drpower.com/Power-Equipment/Lawn-Mowers-/Tow-Behind-Mowers/DR-Tow-Behind-Finish-Mower/p/TF13260BEN49

DR used to have more model choices, now just this one.

OR

https://www.swisherinc.com/categories/trail-mowers.html?product_list_limit=all

Most of the 72" models seem to be discontinued; not sure why.
Tractor Supply seems to have a 72"
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Find a neighboring farmer to cut & bale it for hay for you.
View Quote
Yeah, around here, there are people who will mow and maintain fields for you for the hay.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:03:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're going to mow 5 acres yourself, you need a small tractor and a 3-blade bushhog.

Or if you want it to look like a yard, one of those giant golf course mowers with like 7 mower decks. Probably an all-day job once a week or two weeks.

Just let someone bale it.

Unless it's not worth baling, then just hire someone to bushhog it 3 or 4 times a year.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, gentlemen.  

Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Key question - do you have an ATV? [...]
View Quote

Negative.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I think Graveley has a 25% sale on some models.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:35:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Requiem] [#9]
Whatever zero turn you get, get one with suspension.   It's so good.

I have a Toro 54 with myRide and it's great but 4-5 acres would take all day with a 54.  Mine's about 3/4 acre of mowable field and it takes me about a hour.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Blades on ZTR are easy if you buy a lift or Grasshopper with electric tilt deck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Blades on ZTR are easy if you buy a lift or Grasshopper with electric tilt deck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:50:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you, all, and especially, AeroE and Kitties-with-Sigs for taking the time to write as you did.

Originally Posted By Oldgold:
I think Graveley has a 25% sale on some models.
View Quote

Expires 4/7.  The pressure is on.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

4 to 5 acres warrants a 60 inch mower, whether a belly mower or finish mower on a tractor or a zero turn mower.

You do not want a "garden tractor" with a 18 or 20 HP motor and a 52 or 54 inch deck, you'll be out there for five hours or more, and won't be able to catch up during a rainy spring.

A 72 inch mower might fit your need if there are few or no obstacles.

Your $5000 to $7000 budget buys a nearly disposable new machine good for 8 to 10 years if you're careful.

Look for a Cub Lowboy or a Farmall Cub first.  If you're willing to trailer one home a few hundred miles you should be able to find a good tractor.

After that, look for a second hand zero turn, especially at farm and estate auctions.  I regret passing on a upper end like new Grasshopper with an electric deck lift last summer that sold for $7500.

Which brings me to swapping blades.  Think hard about how you will access the blades for sharpening.  I drive my tractor onto ramps to access the center blade by wiggling in between the ramps.  I chock the rear wheels, and it's dangerous anyway, besides just plain sucking when the temps are in the 90's.  Sucking more, that maneuver always sucks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Terrain is mostly flat.  I would not like to spend more than $5k, but not opposed to going up to $7k if the bang is worth the buck.  Based on preliminary research, it seems that the Toro Titan may be fitting, but would like to hear more from those with experience.

Any recommendations on brands and modes, deck width (i.e.: is wider always better?), commercial vs. residential or anything else of relevance?

4 to 5 acres warrants a 60 inch mower, whether a belly mower or finish mower on a tractor or a zero turn mower.

You do not want a "garden tractor" with a 18 or 20 HP motor and a 52 or 54 inch deck, you'll be out there for five hours or more, and won't be able to catch up during a rainy spring.

A 72 inch mower might fit your need if there are few or no obstacles.

Your $5000 to $7000 budget buys a nearly disposable new machine good for 8 to 10 years if you're careful.

Look for a Cub Lowboy or a Farmall Cub first.  If you're willing to trailer one home a few hundred miles you should be able to find a good tractor.

After that, look for a second hand zero turn, especially at farm and estate auctions.  I regret passing on a upper end like new Grasshopper with an electric deck lift last summer that sold for $7500.

Which brings me to swapping blades.  Think hard about how you will access the blades for sharpening.  I drive my tractor onto ramps to access the center blade by wiggling in between the ramps.  I chock the rear wheels, and it's dangerous anyway, besides just plain sucking when the temps are in the 90's.  Sucking more, that maneuver always sucks.

That Grasshopper was 20K PLUS new easily.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I have a couple of neighbors who run those things.  I like the deck placement, but they are indeed pricey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

That Grasshopper was 20K PLUS new easily.

I have a couple of neighbors who run those things.  I like the deck placement, but they are indeed pricey.

I have one with a vacuum system [4-5K easily right there] and when I was looking at new ones, I about stroked out because of the cost. Of course the vacvuum sysem on mine wouldn't work on a new one so when all was said and done, I was right around 28K.

I bought a 30 HP Kubota with an air ride seat for 10.5K. Just kept the Grasshopper for leaf pickup and grinding.

I do like how they drive and operate, the front deck means you can get about 1/4 inch away from stuff which is awesome.

Damn thing was 4k with the vacuum when I bought it around 2003 very lightly used. Very reliable, can't complain there. They do take up a lot of room storage wise.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:54:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Topper1] [#19]
I mow a 4.5 acre lot (less buildings and parking lot) with a 60" Hustler. It takes 1hr 45 minutes to do. It it mostly flat but bumpy, but the air ride seat keeps it comfortable.

I have great support from a local dealer which makes it nice.

I had originally planned to go with a smaller deck. The shop owner mentioned if there were many trees to trim around the larger width of deck sticking out wider than the rear wheel would help a bunch going around trees.

He was right. Mow right up to the tree and zip around it and keep on mowing.

I like my Hustler quite a bit. It's my first zero turn so I can't compare it to anything else.

Hustler often has some form of zero percent financing. I used it right before the flu thing and had no complaints. Would use their plan again.

I ended up buying a second Hustler a little nicer than my first one. A guy had put it for sale by the road 1 year old with about 20 hours on it for half the price of new. I couldn't believe it. Talked to my dealer and he couldn't figure it out either because he sold the unit to him new. Dealer was a little ticked he didn't get a chance to buy it back and resell it during the time mowers were hard to get.

I was in the right place that day.

I have (2) 60" Hustlers and am very pleased with them both.

This is the day I bought the new one home.

This is my mower, there are many like it but this one is mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

1980 to mid 1990’s John Deere/Yanmar tractor with either a 72” belly mower or 3 point finish mower.  

Look at Deere 755/855/955’s.  

Tractors are just more useful for other things.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#22]
OP I would find a dealer you really like (not big box), and get them to tell you the combination of the biggest deck you can get for the correctly sized tractor (the engine/housing that moves the mower) to cover the ground you want to cover.

A 60" deck would be really nice for you but they have disadvantages.

1-They won't go through many gates

2-They are very expensive  (for a reason--they require bigger everything to carry and run that enormous deck)

3-They have limitations you need to consider when going between trees, shrubs, garden beds, trees and fences, or other objects.

4-They tend to be just a little less "maneuverable" (best word I can come up with for this situation) than a smaller deck.  It's still a zero-turn mower, and it still does all the same stuff, but like anything big, "give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around" is the way you have to think.  That's an extreme exaggeration, but you want a mower (I'm guessing) that will go around your landscaping near the house, easily cut along a fence, AND cover a lot of ground.  I personally don't like the 60" decks, because of this last issue.  I just can't whip around and move as fast without tearing turf.   For what I do/need, they are just too big.  And so very few situations, even with larger acreage, don't have a lot of obstacles.  Many people love them.  I don't.  You might.

I like a 52" deck, for the maneuverability and for fitting through most (not all) gates.

So pay attention to your situation, walk your property, and consider not just the area you want to mow, but the stuff you want to mow AROUND. The bigger the deck (for MOST homesteads) the more you will have to push mow and string trim.  Sometimes bigger does not save time.

I'm a huge fan of Exmark (their commercial mowers at 52" were around 7K when I got mine. (ETA: That's with a really good bouncy seat. ) Prob more now, but often, there is zero percent interest at a good dealer, so that might work for you.  Part of the reason I love my Exmark so much, is their deck suspension.  In years of mowing commercially, I have never scalped a tree root, and never scalped a hump or the edge of a ditch.   Not because I haven't run over them or because I'm that good.  It's because their suspension has some extra bits to keep it from scalping.  I have customers with a lot of maples.  I would run right over those roots at a low HOC.  No scalping.  It's like freaking magic.  It means less blade damage, too.

I disagree that this acreage requires a tractor.  Unless you plan to farm, or do other things that a tractor can do, it is my view that a lawn needs the money put into the good deck, good spindles, high speed spin, and a solid brand track record.    Lot of people mow lawns this size, and they are gorgeous.  I really like what I have seen over the years from Gravely, and they are often a little less expensive.

ETA:  By "dealer"  I mean a MOWER dealer.  Sometimes they are part of ag equipment dealerships.  Mine is independent, a small shop, and I would pay an extra THOUSAND DOLLARS (I didn't have to) to buy from this man again.  He has taken care of this tiny, independent, one-woman business, since I started.  He is loyal to his customers, and they are loyal to him.  There's a reason for that.  You may or may not have this near you.  The dealer is far more important than the color or what's written on the side, and that good dealer will fit you with the mower you NEED, not just one he wants to sell.

I say all this because you have a situation where the mower is going to get more use than the average 5000-10,000 square foot lawn.  Tractor Supply ain't gonna take care of you. Not gonna do what you need.  Neither is Lowe's (dear God please don't do that) or Home Depot or anybody else who sells thousands of mowers a year.  Even if you buy a homeowner mower, buy one from a commercial BRAND who also carries homeowner lines.  From a real dealer.
View Quote

Do you mind me asking which model you have?  One of the local dealers here still has 2023 models and it looks like the Radius S-series with a 52" deck may be the best value for my needs.

Originally Posted By Topper1:
I mow a 4.5 acre lot (less buildings and parking lot) with a 60" Hustler. It takes 1hr 45 minutes to do. It it mostly flat but bumpy, but the air ride seat keeps it comfortable.

I have great support from a local dealer which makes it nice.

I had originally planned to go with a smaller deck. The shop owner mentioned if there were many trees to trim around the larger width of deck sticking out wider than the rear wheel would help a bunch going around trees.

He was right. Mow right up to the tree and zip around it and keep on mowing.

I like my Hustler quite a bit. It's my first zero turn so I can't compare it to anything else.

Hustler often has some form of zero percent financing. I used it right before the flu thing and had no complaints. Would use their plan again.

I ended up buying a second Hustler a little nicer than my first one. A guy had put it for sale by the road 1 year old with about 20 hours on it for half the price of new. I couldn't believe it. Talked to my dealer and he couldn't figure it out either because he sold the unit to him new. Dealer was a little ticked he didn't get a chance to buy it back and resell it during the time mowers were hard to get.

I was in the right place that day.

I have (2) 60" Hustlers and am very pleased with them both.

This is the day I bought the new one home.

This is my mower, there are many like it but this one is mine.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/104228/075c7172-a4fd-44ad-8ecc-ee2532f77e08-1_a-3178430.JPG
View Quote

Thank you for this.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#23]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#24]

I don't remember.  S or E maybe?

Don't be afraid to go up a deck size to 54 if you think that will still fit through your gates, store reasonably, etc.  

I ain't sayin' that extra inches on a deck aren't useful.  But you get to a point where the trade off no longer saves you time cuz you can't cover tight areas.

How do you like the dealer?

How is he sounding about engines, warranties, etc.?

Is he offering you commercial grade mowers?  Or homeowner?

ETA:  I walked out there and looked at it.  My mower is a Radius, with some upgrades.  I don't know if it's S or E.  

I don't know what engines or decks they offered in 2023.

My deck is a series 3.  

I would say do not purchase a Quest series mower.  That's too small and not built for the use you will give it.

View Quote

Thank you again.

At this point, I'm fairly set on an Exmark.  The dealer suggested that I may want to try riding a Scag too to see how the controls compare, so I may do that later this week, but chances are I'm going with an Exmark.  Just need to settle on a model and deck size.  As I mentioned in the previous post, the S-series seems to fit my needs best, although I am now leaning more toward the 60" deck than toward the 52".  That aside, does anyone have experience with both series 3 and series 4 decks?  Wondering if there is appreciable difference in performance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:23:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#25]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_Dale] [#26]
Flat and only mowing 60+ ZTR, a good used commercial one with outlast a new box store home owner one.

Hills, blade work, snow, tilling I use a 4x4 JD X738 garden tractor with 60" deck.
I also have a 44" Swisher pull behind, I used to pull it with ATV to mow hills when I had a ZTR.

This is my other JD, it's 54" pulling the 44" swisher, my son mowing at my Dads.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, before my current career I had my own landscape company part time and maintained a dozen parks at my full time job.  A 3 year old commercial machine with less than 1000 hours will be the best thing you could possibly spend your money on.  A 60" E, S or X series Lazer will easily run to 2k hours with no trouble at all, and well beyond that if you're handy. Bigger engines, bigger hydros, better decks with larger bearings, all add up.  Most companies run a machine for 3 years and then get new for tax reasons, finding a machine that was a backup/not a front line piece that didn't get beat 5 days a week would be my choice over any of the Radius models.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#28]

I don't know.  My dealer sold me the Series 3 specifically because he said he had better luck with those.  

But I would assume whatever mower you get comes with one or the other, and I would not be afraid of it.  

I will be interested in how you like the SCAG.  I was set on buying a SCAG and even had the paperwork done, when the dealer here pissed me off and showed his true colors.  So I went on with my search and I'm glad I landed with my current dealer, but he was Exmark.  

What I noticed was...the Exmark hydraulics are so much easier on me than the SCAG.  SCAG took actual arm strength to move the control levers forward or back.  The Exmark I can move with one finger, which is nice for me since I'm a small female, but is just generally less tiring on the operator when you're on the thing for long periods.  I'm interested, if you get to drive a SCAG and an Exmark, what you think.

I meant to tell you...one thing I have that is a MUST for me is a grass flap.  

My mower dealer became a dealer for Grass Flap BECAUSE I didn't want the Exmark one.

The REASON I wanted the Grass Flap is that it's foot operated.   Most chute blockers are lever operated.  

And I needed it for a reason that may not apply to you.

1-It's easy and quick and I can use it to feather the output when I'm mulching leaves.  

2-My hands are small and I cannot drive my mower with one hand.  I can make it GO with one hand, but I can't pull one lever forward and the other back with only one hand.  My dealer can do this, and when I couldn't he scratched his head and signed up to be a Grass Flap dealer cuz that's what I needed.  I would have to STOP THE MOWER, operate the chute blocker lever, then start mowing again. Then STOP MOWING, operate the lever to CLOSE the chute blocker, then start mowing again, every time I used it.

Going around landscaping, trees, paved areas, I sometimes operate that chute blocker several times a minute. No way was the lever going to work for me.

My grass flap at the time was  about $300.  We just built that into the cost of my mower, and he installed it for me.

I'm sure it's more now, but mine works great.

Is it PERFECT...meaning not one blade of grass gets through?   No.

But it works plenty well enough that I don't have to ever blow out flower beds.  

Here is the Grass Flap in action.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8DUN0PwM48

If you're handy at all, you could install it yourself.  They have good videos on the site.  You do have to order it for your particular mower.

Here is the Grass Flap site

YOu will find that the vacuum/lift of the deck is insanely good on the Exmark.  My buddies with SCAGs say mine is better than theirs.  However it might be their mowing technique vs mine. Not sure.  I do not leave windrows, even in heavy grass.  Part of that is that I don't have the directional chute on the mower cuz that comes off when you put on a grass flap.  Even so, the only time I've ever left windrows was when I was mowing waist-high grass, and only then do I have to double cut.  

View Quote

Very helpful.  I appreciate you taking the time to type that.  

Interesting that your dealer has had better luck with the series 3 deck when the more heavy duty models come with the series 4.  Perhaps because the series 3 is simpler.

Thank you for pointing out the GrassFlap too.  I was going to inquire about the Exmark Micro-Mulch System (and I still will to compare the cost if nothing else).  Do you find that mower mulches well with the GrassFlap or would one need mulching blades for that?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 12:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#29]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Kubota Z421 54", 24-HP Kawasaki with "estate" hydros - a cross between pro and homeowner.   Paid about $6900 mid-2022 with .99% interest for 48-months.

I looked at Gravely, Skag, and JD and ultimately ended up with the Kubota because it offered the KW engine and a knob to adjust the deck height (Instead of a pin).  I added the professional canister filter to it for around $200.   It was also during the "shortage" so there wasn't a lot of choices on the dealer lots.  

Hadn't had any issues with it but if I did it again, I'd get the Z422 with the 60" deck, wider rear wheels, and the suspension seat.  

Drove about 100 miles north and saved over $1500 on the exact same model of mower, so cross check dealers when you make a choice.  We have a Kubota dealer less than 1-mile from here, and he suggested that I should go get it up at Crystal as they just couldn't compete with the price, but they promised they'd give me good service (and they do).    

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By plinker8:
OP, before my current career I had my own landscape company part time and maintained a dozen parks at my full time job.  A 3 year old commercial machine with less than 1000 hours will be the best thing you could possibly spend your money on.  A 60" E, S or X series Lazer will easily run to 2k hours with no trouble at all, and well beyond that if you're handy. Bigger engines, bigger hydros, better decks with larger bearings, all add up.  Most companies run a machine for 3 years and then get new for tax reasons, finding a machine that was a backup/not a front line piece that didn't get beat 5 days a week would be my choice over any of the Radius models.  Just my 2 cents.
View Quote

Thank you, sir.  I would love to find something like that, but it seems a bit of a unicorn.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Thank you, sir.  I would love to find something like that, but it seems a bit of a unicorn.
View Quote

Totally understand, now that I think about it most dump them on marketplace in the fall after they have been worked all summer.  Early winter being the best time.  Right now I can understand used option being extremely limited.  I've used exclusively Exmark since 2008, I honestly think they make some of the best machines out there.  Can't go wrong.  Best of luck
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey folks, just saw Sigs mention about this thread.

I actually bought a 72" Exmark Lazer Z X series I think. I know it was the top tier when I got it. So far I have about 130 hours on it, and it's going strong with zero problems. I mow a couple of yards, with quite a bit of trees, bushes, etc., as well as 12-15 acres of what should be pasture. The suspension seat makes it tolerable for my old bones to mow for 3+ hours continuously, and and this thing is WAY faster that the 72" finish mower behind a 47HP Kubota. To cut everything takes me around 8 hours, so I just mow a couple afternoons a week.

I don't have gates to worry about, and there are only a couple spots that are too tight for my deck. I still have my old 42" John Deere rider, so I hop on that and finish up if I need to. The one issue I did discover, is that with all that deck hanging out to the left, if you get on an angle it's easy to scalp. Not a big deal, but something to think about.

Like everyone else has said, get a commercial model, used if you find a decent deal, and get the biggest deck that will fit.

Of course, NOW I have to go spend money on a grass flap, because I NEED that!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm going to offer an alternative:

Disc up the majority of the area and seed it with native wildflowers.

It is low to zero maintenance, it provides flowers for pollinators, and it looks nice.  It's a good habitat for small game animals as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Volstag:
Hey folks, just saw Sigs mention about this thread.

I actually bought a 72" Exmark Lazer Z X series I think. I know it was the top tier when I got it. So far I have about 130 hours on it, and it's going strong with zero problems. I mow a couple of yards, with quite a bit of trees, bushes, etc., as well as 12-15 acres of what should be pasture. The suspension seat makes it tolerable for my old bones to mow for 3+ hours continuously, and and this thing is WAY faster that the 72" finish mower behind a 47HP Kubota. To cut everything takes me around 8 hours, so I just mow a couple afternoons a week.

I don't have gates to worry about, and there are only a couple spots that are too tight for my deck. I still have my old 42" John Deere rider, so I hop on that and finish up if I need to. The one issue I did discover, is that with all that deck hanging out to the left, if you get on an angle it's easy to scalp. Not a big deal, but something to think about.

Like everyone else has said, get a commercial model, used if you find a decent deal, and get the biggest deck that will fit.

Of course, NOW I have to go spend money on a grass flap, because I NEED that!
View Quote

Thank you for chiming, sir.  My dealer warned me about the higher potential of scalping with a 72", but was the opinion that it's much less of a concern with the 60".

Originally Posted By 57plymouth:
I'm going to offer an alternative:

Disc up the majority of the area and seed it with native wildflowers.

It is low to zero maintenance, it provides flowers for pollinators, and it looks nice.  It's a good habitat for small game animals as well.
View Quote

I considered that, but ticks have been really bad around here for the past few years if not close to a decade.  However, my property seems to be an exception to that--I have not even seen a single one this year--and I cannot think of another reason than a wide area of well maintained lawn.  I'm afraid that the wild flower idea would become a tick haven.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I sure the rest of the crew will be along at some point to suggest goats, cows, think someone already mentioned hay.

Personally, I just like living on a private golf course!

On a serious note, if you have a Toro dealer near you, check out their stuff as well. Most people are more familiar with Exmark, Kubota, Scag, etc. but Toro makes some serious equipment. I also forgot to mention, more horsepower is better. I'm partial to Kawasaki engines myself.

I actually didn't want to buy as high a level mower as I did, but I got it at the height of the equipment supply shortage in 2022. The one I got, was one of two commercial zero turn mowers in stock in two counties!

And if you're sitting down, mine was right at $17,000 out the door. The Tractus tires were a good chunk of that, but I love them! Hopefully, this is the last mower I'll ever buy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top