Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 2:01:32 PM EDT
I’ve killed about 10 hogs this year averaging around 100 pounds. Tuesday night, we spot a big fella at the feeder and stalked to about 70 yards. There was some brush in between me and him so I couldn’t really tell how big he was. Took the shot and he dropped, got up and ran into the wood line. I could hear him about 50 yards away and it sounded like he was thrashing on the ground.  300BLK, 16 inch barrel 110 grain Hornady.

Left the rifle on the tripod and headed his direction (wont do that again). He comes out of the wood line (brush) about 50 feet away, sees us and turns right at us. My first shot with my 9mm was about 40 feet. I hit him 3 times in the head and started thinking to myself “when should I run”?  On the 4th shot he went down on his front legs and the 5th put him down. He was only 15 feet away at this point. I gave him a minute and was able to get close and put 3 more in his ear. Big bastard kicked for another 5 minutes.

I know they are tough but damn! All my rounds were on target. Now Im thinking of a 10mm pistol AND NOT LEAVING THE RIFLE.

He weighed in at 308lbs. Had another that night that was 155 lbs. Dropped in his tracks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
9mm is a little light for hogs in my experience and 300 lbs is a BIG hog.

But I wouldn't run as long as I still have ammo in the gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:12:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Falcon09] [#2]
I had that happen with a huge hog that was down. When I got about 15 feet from him he got up and charged.

I mag dumped a Glock 40 as I was backing up. 10mm did the trick.

Last time I will ever make that mistake and I had my 8 year old son with me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]
What type of ammo did you have? I keep a 9mm on me when I go into the thicker parts of my property, haven't had to use it on a hog yet but they're never too far away
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll admit that I have no problem putting another round into a big hog after it goes down, and before I get too close.

They can never be "too dead."
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GravyLegs:
What type of ammo did you have? I keep a 9mm on me when I go into the thicker parts of my property, haven't had to use it on a hog yet but they're never too far away
View Quote

Just some ball ammo. We had been shooting earlier in the day and I didnt reload with Critical Defense.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on 5.7 for a Hog sidearm?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a few get back up and charge me, same thing just happened two weeks ago. Except I was 5 feet away and had my rifle Turned my rifle to 45* and let it have the quickest 5rd string of 7.62x39 I'll ever shoot lol. Pigs are very unpredictable! I do a lot of solo night hunting, so I always keep that thang slung around me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mscout118:
Just some ball ammo.
View Quote
FMJs that are sold commercially in the US are typically underpowered. This of course results in minimum penetration (despite being non-expanding).

If you had a NATO (+P) load it probably would've performed much better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Learned a long time ago that regardless of what caliber you use its generally good to give them another round or two. Economics be damned - if you're out there to kill it, kill it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top