Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2023 1:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
Now's the time, while memory of last winter is still fresh, to pounce on sales of winter stuff.  

We all know of items in our inventories that can stand upgrading.  Some of us might have found ourselves "lacking" certain essential items.

Now's the time to take a look around at "all the sites" and consider buying winter gear when it's often on sale.

I bought some nice "winter" items today which were upgrades, and some entirely new items.

Hence this thread.

All the best!

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sportsman's Guide had some of the Level 7 winter clothing on sale over the last month or two.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought several sets of long handle chicken skin insulated underwear for 5 bucks a set
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:34:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tom-from-Michigan] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DaGoose:
Sportsman's Guide had some of the Level 7 winter clothing on sale over the last month or two.
View Quote

Those grey puffy suits are fantastic. Along with the pants, it's a good idea to get the military suspenders that have a single hook under each arm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Winter gear for Bush Alaska is not cheap and rarely goes on sale or deep discounts.

I do not buy fluffy outer gear as I will destroy it in a hurry.

Even spring/fall gear is the same.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If you custom order anything do it now. I ordered a custom Enlightened Equipment Torrid pullover in October and just got it about a month ago...as temps started hitting the upper 80's

Good post @raf, now is the time to jump on some good deals...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Good post @raf, now is the time to jump on some good deals...

View Quote

There is always a short period immediately before the collapse where you still have some supply of quality goods, and your money is still worth something.  The problem is that this happens when the money supply starts to tighten and people slow their buying - thus companies start running lots of sales and begin liquidating older stock and you get good deals.

This window doesn't last long though.  Companies stop producing goods and the supply runs out.  Then stuff gets expensive as supply dries up.  And then your money starts to inflate.  Then you simply run out of quality stuff.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It's simple enough.  Stay "connected" with various vendors and Mfrs via somewhat annoying e-mails so as to be alerted when sales happen.  Buy Winter stuff in the Spring.  Buy Summer stuff in the Fall.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DaGoose:
View Quote

Fairly cheap and it works in ND.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 6:53:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: marnsdorff] [#9]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

Fairly cheap and it works in ND.
View Quote

My problem with the Level 7 stuff is that it is relatively flimsy for hard-use gear.  My little brother would wear out one of the L7 jackets in a single winter.  I still have a couple of them sitting around, with big long rips in them.  Planning on using them for scrap material for a project.

The other issue is that they WAY too easily take holes from sparks (same with Goretex btw) to be serious 'really hard times' gear for me.

What they ARE is that they are relatively packable.  Compared to the harder wearing oldschool parkas and such.

Also why I am kinda a fan of the British smock concept, with a thin outer shell over everything.

Edit:  I'm not crapping on them BTW.  They really are a good deal at the prices we get them for.  I have a few sets because they ARE packable.  

My Dachstein boiled wool sweaters and canvas over-smocks aren't anywhere nearly that packable.  However, my grandchildren will inherit those.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:23:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#10]
They do make flame retardant L7 clothes... just FYI.  I'll try and remember to put the NSN up.

As for your grandkids, chances are good it'll end up in Goodwill.

Edit: here's the tag.  On further reading this is probably after market, I'm not sure there's actually a Gen 4 ECWCS, plus lack of NSN.  But... they work to -20 just fine.
Attachment Attached File

2nd edit:  https://www.massif.com/pcu-level-7-jacket.html
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to my northern brothers.

These threads, and five years stationed in Colorado, remind me why I live in the Deep South.  

Here, long pants are winter clothing.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 7:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbatheredneck] [#12]
Dbl tap

Link Posted: 7/10/2023 1:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#13]
I just ordered a bunch of Sitka gear. A member in Team had a discount code for about 50% off. I needed new gaiters in addition to a few other things.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 1:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#14]
A big one for me is gloves, go through a lot between outdoor work and hunting. Mechanix sends out awesome sales from time to time. Pair with a set of large Eskimo mitts or choppers on top for flexibility.

For real cold outdoors activity I use ECWCS system stuff plus a waterproof but vented outer shell, think snowboarding pants and hooded jacket. Layers allow flexibility and have plenty of pit and crotch zips. Also, snowboard goggles for blowing snow or nasty cold. We predator hunt well subzero comfortably in this stuff.

Baffin boots or large pac boots depending on activity and movement, wicking sock/wool combo usually.

Hard work or around a fire, outer layer is still cotton duck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#15]
One can always "shed" some clothing layers as needs be, but always useful to have such layers on-hand, if need-be.

With my hands and feet both suffering from frostbite (which is a cumulative affliction), suggest preventing frostbite by donning good garments in order to prevent frostbite.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Mechanix sale is going on right now for cold weather gloves and mitts, pretty good deals. Their leather gloves are a good value on sale.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 7:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#17]
I'm pretty much set as far as winter clothing. For months I looked around for my pair of extreme cold weather military mittens and couldn't find them,so I finally broke down and ordered a replacement pair. I found my missing pair the next day. Guess I have a spare set now....
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By marnsdorff:
My problem with the Level 7 stuff is that it is relatively flimsy for hard-use gear.  My little brother would wear out one of the L7 jackets in a single winter.  I still have a couple of them sitting around, with big long rips in them.  Planning on using them for scrap material for a project.
The other issue is that they WAY too easily take holes from sparks (same with Goretex btw) to be serious 'really hard times' gear for me.

What they ARE is that they are relatively packable.  Compared to the harder wearing old school parkas and such.

Also why I am kinda a fan of the British smock concept, with a thin outer shell over everything.

Edit:  I'm not crapping on them BTW.  They really are a good deal at the prices we get them for.  I have a few sets because they ARE packable.  

My Dachstein boiled wool sweaters and canvas over-smocks aren't anywhere nearly that packable.
View Quote

Yeah, the L7 clothing system isn’t really designed for sustained, hard use/abuse. It’s more for the combat athlete not the blue-collar ditch digger. Plus, if their clothing gets compromised, they can turn it in for a replacement…my DX days are sadly over.

Synthetics have their place, but bushwhacking through briars or working around an open fire are not well suited to their purpose. I find their best value in basic moisture management, fast drying, good wind protection, adequate rain protection, and tough enough for moderate use. Very similar to backpacking clothing: packable and lighter than most traditional clothing materials and well suited to the layering concepts.  

That said, as much as I love the performance clothing, most of my regular “work clothing” for colder temps are surplus smocks or issued uniform clothing. Some commercial hunting clothing is a good option, and I have some of the more traditional “bushcraft” items like wool bush shirts where they are heavy and don’t pack well, but stellar performers in harsh conditions.

Originally Posted By raf:
One can always "shed" some clothing layers as needs be, but always useful to have such layers on-hand, if need-be.
View Quote

Fortunately, I don’t live in colder climate areas anymore. Much of my really cold weather clothing is only helpful for a month or two during the winter and that’s for low exertion activities. My biggest challenge is moisture management. It may not get below freezing very often or for very long, but cold weather injuries and hypothermia are frequent occurrences in the southeast between November and March. It doesn’t take freezing temps to exacerbate being damp, caught in a rain or sleet downpour with strong wind gusts.

Having the ability to layer properly and the discipline and experience to don or shed layers when required is pretty damn important. Having clothing that dries fast is also important. You’re going to get wet, it’s how you manage your clothing to mitigate the effects is the important aspect.

I am so looking forward to much cooler temps this fall!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 12:39:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#19]
Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Fortunately, I don’t live in colder climate areas anymore. Much of my really cold weather clothing is only helpful for a month or two during the winter and that’s for low exertion activities. My biggest challenge is moisture management. It may not get below freezing very often or for very long, but cold weather injuries and hypothermia are frequent occurrences in the southeast between November and March. It doesn’t take freezing temps to exacerbate being damp, caught in a rain or sleet downpour with strong wind gusts.

Having the ability to layer properly and the discipline and experience to don or shed layers when required is pretty damn important. Having clothing that dries fast is also important. You’re going to get wet, it’s how you manage your clothing to mitigate the effects is the important aspect.

I am so looking forward to much cooler temps this fall!

ROCK6
View Quote

Word.

I’d rather hunt in -10 than +30’s and wet. That cold, damp shit is miserable. Once I get down in the single digits and below, staying dry is pretty easy.

My biggest problem is keeping my hands warm. Gloves light enough to manipulate weapons/calls aren’t very warm. I’ve been using one of those muffs that cinch around my waist for several years.

It was about-10 with a 15 mph wind on this hunt last year.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Latex coated gloves are the bomb and usually less than $10.   Kinco Hydroflector for example.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I do need to get a good set of clothing for snowmobiling.

I'm looking at Carhartt extreme cold parka and bibs.
Prob cost me around $400 for the set.
I know a lot of people get one piece suits, but I'd prefer something that I can use for more than just snowmobiling.
Also they seem fairly durable.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Coleman’s Military Surplus

Get on their mailing list. They have sales from time to time, even in the Fall-Winter months. Lots of cold weather gear. Lots of their used stuff is in great shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top