Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2024 6:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thirsty]
Let’s say a budget of around $5k. I have about two acres to mow, relatively level grade end-to-end. The reason I’m opting for a zero turn is for maneuverability around obstacles in my yard.

Anyone have experience with Ego battery-powered ZTs? I have some of their tools, but the batteries are 10- and 12- Ah units that cost at least $500 each. That’s a shitload of gas if one or more of the batteries wears out or fails.

Deere? There’s a dealership about 20-minutes away.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Kawasaki motor, welded deck and minimum 3100 series hydro’s was my main shopping list. I have had a Gravely ZT-HD for years and it has been solid. Ferris and Scag will be out of your price range. Gravely, Bad Boy, and others have a semi commercial mowers for home owners. With 3100 hydro’s they are serviceable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
2 acres?  Forget battery powered

See if you can find a used Scag.  They are top of the line mowers.  

Bad Boy mowers seem to be a good value for the money.  

I have a Hustler than has been a good mower overall.  Have owned it for the past 7 years.  Just serviced it today in preparation for this year's mowing season.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If I was buying new I'd get one of the Cub Cadets with the steering wheel, they do better on inclines and I don't like levers anyway.

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/ultima-zts-zero-turn-mowers
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pjc] [#4]
I have 2+ acres of flat terrain around the house bordering pasture and like you have numerous obstacles to navigate.  I bought an Ariens Ikon 52 last spring from Lowes that was on sale.  It has a 23HP Kawasaki. I love it and can cut everything very quickly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
If I was buying new I'd get one of the Cub Cadets with the steering wheel, they do better on inclines and I don't like levers anyway.

View Quote

If you like to drink beer and smoke a cigar while mowing a steering wheel is a lot safer choice.  I'm still learning how to do it with levers.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#6]
Make sure it has the power to mow over everything your kids/wife/neighbors may leave in your yard.

No way I'd go electric for a 2 acre lawn.

Buy the best hydro's you can get and a Kawasaki engine if possible.

Welded deck over stamped deck.

If you buy from a dealer, if they can't take the time to tell you about the mower or ''don't have the time'' then they aren't going to be any better when it comes to service or warranty. I dropped my coin at another dealer after the floor monkies and owner couldn't be bothered for more then 30 seconds and I was looking at 8K+ machines.

Well, yeah, fvck you, and I DIS recommend them every chance I get to locals.  The next dealer I went to couldn't have been more helpful and spent plenty of time with me. After the sales has gone great also.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#7]
5K isn't going to get you much. I have always run Exmark and Scag when I had large properties. I have a smaller lot now and bought a Gravely XL which has the Kaw 21hp with a fabricated deck on it. It has been reliable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
5K isn't going to get you much. I have always run Exmark and Scag when I had large properties. I have a smaller lot now and bought a Gravely XL which has the Kaw 21hp with a fabricated deck on it. It has been reliable.
View Quote

I will agree, 5K before covid was just doable, now, it'll be some off brand hunk of junk you can't find parts for with ''Houng Jung'' hydro's and shitty chinese fabrication and ''steel'' parts. $7K would be my floor now.

Even my Kubota went up from 10.5K pre covid to almost 15K now.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Last year, I bought a Spartan RT HD 54 with a Kawasaki engine.  I have been very happy with it.  It's
about twice your budget.

My local dealer's website shows an RZ HD 48 with Kawasaki engine for $7,200.  I think that's what your
budget should be.  They show lower priced ones with a B&S engine, but I don't like Broken & Shitty engines.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Appreciate all of the suggestions.

A dealer nearby carries Ariens mowers among others. I’m going to swing by and check out what they have.

Looks like the Ariens residential ZTs use a lighter Kawasaki motor and 2200-series Hydro-Gear transaxles. I’m going to verify if those are serviceable. Not sure if they’re US-made but it seems they might be. I might have to go with a 42-in deck thanks to a choke-point in my yard. Decks are fabricated.

I’m the kind of guy that just wants to mow as quickly as possible because for whatever reason, even during summer droughts, the lawn grows crazy fast. It’s a constant battle to keep it under control.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had good luck with my Gravely, just changed the oil and filters for the axles. I paid $7,500 but they're north of $12,000 now.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:05:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#12]
If I was mowing your sized lawn I would def get a 42" or bigger deck.
Last june I got a Scag liberty 36".
I only have a 1/4 acre of thick florida st. augustine grass and got tired of push mowing in brutal summer heat.  It was a 3 hour job including cool down breaks.
I push mowed for 5 years.

The scag has 2800 hydros and a kawasaki motor.

It was $5300 total.

I hope to have a couple acres soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#13]
With the limitations of that budget, get whatever you can.

Take care of it and start a fund to replace it, hopefully after 7 years.

All this mowers are disposable to a certain extent, even the commercial mowers that over $15k.

Get what fits the job and budget, then take care of it and start saving to replace it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to your local Kubota dealership and look at what they have. Bonus is they are doing 0% for 48 constantly for their zt mowers. They will make you buy their insurance which is pretty damn good and basically gives you a 4 year warranty on the machine and it protects you from theft and all that jazz.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#15]
https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/zero-turn-mowers/courier-xt-zero-turn-mower.html

OP,,I bought one of these several years ago and have beat on it like the feral human it is. I can't kill it. I have an acre around the house, an acre around the shop, almost a half mile of bar ditch along both sides of our driveway and it just goes and goes and goes. Every year I take it to the dealer ( 20 minutes away) and drop it off for the yearly service. I never even check the oil. I just get on it and go. I mow the immediate area around our back yard sometimes three times a week as we like a manicured look by the pool and backyard area. It comes back from the yearly survive and just SITS until I ask it to mow. I think it's five years old now and the other day it fired right up and went to work. I'll buy another one if this one ever dies.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]
But the brand color you see most of the yard crews in your area using.  I went Scag (orange).  Do not, under any circumstances, but from Home Depot.  They're cheaper for a reason.

Kawasaki engine.  Welded deck only.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
if i was looking for a new zero turn. a suspension seat of some sort would be a must.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Was at a store today and looked at a Gravely. Would be close to the OPs price range.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By brahm:
if i was looking for a new zero turn. a suspension seat of some sort would be a must.
View Quote

Always worth the extra unless your lawn is a putting green.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
You can probably get into a Gravely ZT HD with 42” deck within your budget.

I  am currently mowing one acre but this summer I’ll be mowing 6. I went with the Gravely ZT HD 60”. I paid $6800 delivered to my house with a full tank.

Kawasaki engine, welded deck, serviceable hydros. If the dealer is to believed, the HD series is for large, multi acre residential or light commercial. Allegedly the biggest difference between this, which is their top end residential, and their low end commercial is this is only a single filtration system.

I’ve been really happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
For $5k I'd be looking on Craigslist or FB Marketplace over a wide local area, for any name brand consumer mower (with properties noted in this thread), with <100 hours. Maybe 300-500 for a commercial version but they probably still wouldn't be <$5k.  Winter would have been the best time to buy.

I've been limping along with a Husq Z254 that I got for $2200 (w/ 25 hours) off a guy in fall '22.  110hrs now, about 75 hours per season and should be 100 if I cared more.  Does the job on my 5+ ac mowing, but 60" and a suspension would be really nice.  But having other needs, it's not $15k nice, so far.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 345Hemi] [#22]
In 2022 I picked up a lightly used Ferris IS800x 51" with 30hrs on it for around $7500.  Its got a full suspension and cuts/runs great.  Its an entry-level commercial mower but it would run circles and outlast any Lowe's or Home Depot crappy consumer series Cub Cadet. John Deere, or Husky.

My only regret is not getting a stand on mower now that I'm mowing about 10-12 residential properties on top of my own yard...

90% of the commercial guys around here run Exmark, Toro, or John Deere.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Once or twice a year for the past... 5 or more years I've had to lift some member of my families zero-turn mower out of a ditch or somewhere that it went off into with a loader tractor. The free-spinning front casters don't do anything to keep you on track, and if either back wheel looses traction for a moment you're done if you're on any sort of incline, and it doesn't have to be much. That's why I think the Cub Cadets with the steering front wheels are important. Almost any zero turn is too heavy to push out by hand even if you have two or three people available.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Once or twice a year for the past... 5 or more years I've had to lift some member of my families zero-turn mower out of a ditch or somewhere that it went off into with a loader tractor. The free-spinning front casters don't do anything to keep you on track, and if either back wheel looses traction for a moment you're done if you're on any sort of incline, and it doesn't have to be much. That's why I think the Cub Cadets with the steering front wheels are important. Almost any zero turn is too heavy to push out by hand even if you have two or three people available.
View Quote

I've been looking for a small ATV winch to put on my ZT, it would save me a lot of time walking back to get my truck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This is an important consideration since I have a drainage ditch along the front of my property. I don’t imagine I’d get close enough to ride it in, but I don’t really have the means to extricate it if I did.

I’ve been looking into ride-on mowers along with ZTs but not surprisingly they’re around the same cost for a quality mower.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#28]
^^ all excellent and I agree with
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
 The time that you will die, is getting it off the trailer the first time when you don't know how to operate it.
View Quote

For me it was getting the 59.9"-wide mower on the 60.0"-wide trailer opening, first time driving.  Had to think about it a couple times but got-r-done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#29]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Look at Spartan and compare, Well-built mower from a guy that used to work for Bad Boys.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
So..I added a big edit at the end.  Since you endorsed the post, I feel I should @ you so you can take that back if you disagree.
View Quote

You're good.  
Besides the ditch itself, I hate mowing the front ditch along the road due to the chance of trash, or other big crap washed down in the latest rain.  It's not too steep so it's workable if it hasn't rained lately.

Only 2-3 people drove by to see my shame last week when I got stuck and I had to walk back to the house to get the truck ,  The ruts are hidden by the still-long grass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top