Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 6:52:42 PM EDT
hopefully there is a plumber/propane expert in the house...

I have a remote log cabin in WV that has a small galley kitchen with no exhaust fan/vent, so I cook mostly on the weber when I can but would like to expand my capability.

My next project is I found a used propane gas range cooktop for $100 (the kind you would put in an island with a vent overhead, no stove - 36" wide, 21" deep, maybe 5" tall) and I'm going to make a custom table, something like the picture below but with some wind screen and maybe some doors, tile on top, etc.  The propane tank will sit below/inside.  This will allow me to cook outside without smoking up/stinking up the house and can enjoy the great outdoors more.  If it ends up working well, I may add a roof to it and make another to house my weber grill without the legs.  This will set on my porch in the corner away from seating.

Question:  what do I need to adapt a 20lb grill sized propane tank for a cooktop?  I would imagine I need a regulator (low pressure?) and something to connect to whatever the gas connector is on the stovetop (believe they are a universal size).  Some things say two regulators (one at stove, one at tank) and I'm dumb on this topic.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm lazy, so if there is a "kit" out there, happy to go that route.  I've been searching and have not found a simple answer yet :(

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#1]
You don't need two regulators.  A single two-stage low pressure regulator will be fine.  From there you just need a hookup kit.  One of the Mister Heater Universal Hookup kits should have the necessary adapters.  It is what I used to rig my propane stove at the camp house to a 40 lb tank.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-One-Stop-Universal-Gas-Appliance-Hook-Up-Kit-F271239/305092296

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-2-Stage-Propane-Gas-RV-Regulator-with-POL-Valve-Connection-G2R150B-POL/314273430
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZW17] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 440roadrunner] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZW17:
The BTU capacity on a single stage regulator may not be enough for a stove that large.

You may need to home brew something, that’s a larger than a gas stove or a griddle cooktop.
View Quote

I agree.  It has been decades  (mid 90's)  since I worked in HVAC/R.   Back then  when we did  a  house supplied with LP, the  tank company always supplied the regulator.  So  I've no advice on where to buy one.  the capacity/ flow  is a consideration.

Some  setups, even the  stuff you buy from the camping  suppliers,  are available with  stuff like 3/8 or 1/2"  SAE flare, same  as copper tubing. This is NOT AN or JIC.   Copper/ brass  SAE flare is 45 flare,   JIC/ AN is 37 degree flare angle.

So what you COULD do is use a pair of tanks and regulators, and just tee them together. If you look around the hardware stores, you can get  either a one piece  3/8 flare tee, or make it up from fittings.  Flare to pipe adapter,  etc.  I would use either brass or  black iron.  Damn sure bubble test all fittings.  It is NOT recommended to store  LP gas  inside.   "everybody does it."
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#4]
OP, I would try what I suggested before you try to rig up some Rube Goldberg contraption especially since you said in your first post that you really don't know what you are doing.  

I am cooking breakfast right now on mine plumbed just the way I describe (4 burner Jenn Air cooktop) so I feel pretty confident it works.  I normally don't run all 4 burners at once though so YMMV if you want to get crazy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:
You don't need two regulators.  A single two-stage low pressure regulator will be fine.  From there you just need a hookup kit.  One of the Mister Heater Universal Hookup kits should have the necessary adapters.  It is what I used to rig my propane stove at the camp house to a 40 lb tank.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-One-Stop-Universal-Gas-Appliance-Hook-Up-Kit-F271239/305092296

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-2-Stage-Propane-Gas-RV-Regulator-with-POL-Valve-Connection-G2R150B-POL/314273430
View Quote

The regulator has a 3/8" Female NPT outlet.

The valve on the adapter has a 1/2" Female NPT inlet.

He will need to adapt the two together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:48:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jd2395] [#6]
thanks all, will try to digest...I don't want to light myself on fire

ETA:  so reading these, if I go with the two links provided, assuming it has all the right adapters to make everything go together (test for leaks, etc), then it "should" work, but perhaps not enough to crank all 5 burners up at once.  and that's a function of the regulator?  or the tank not providing enough pressure?

This will be stored outside as it's part of the deck.  never going inside.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to your local propane dealer/shop,

They'll sell you a regulator & pigtail that will hook up to your tank.

I hooked up a 100lb tank like this to run a blue flame wall mount heater & oven/stove in an old house.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I do this very thing, but I have an actual stove.  It was a natural gas stove but I changed out the orifices for propane.  

It should work just fine with a 20lb tank.  

I can run all 4 burners without issue.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#9]
Originally Posted By jd2395:
thanks all, will try to digest...I don't want to light myself on fire

ETA:  so reading these, if I go with the two links provided, assuming it has all the right adapters to make everything go together (test for leaks, etc), then it "should" work, but perhaps not enough to crank all 5 burners up at once.  and that's a function of the regulator?  or the tank not providing enough pressure?

This will be stored outside as it's part of the deck.  never going inside.

Thank you!
View Quote

It may have them all but one poster said it could be missing one adapter and it also depends upon the connection on the bottom of your range but you can get anything else you might need at Home Depot.  Just take the parts you need to adapt up there and try things out (or ask and hope they have someone who actually knows something about hardware).  Better would be to go to an actual hardware store since they are more likely to have someone who can actually help.

While you are there get yourself a roll of yellow thread sealing tape if it isn't in the kit.  You will need to make several wraps around the connections that are NPT fittings to seal them (the kind that just end in a thread).  Do not wrap the gas fitting ends (the kind with the slick angled ending) as those seal on their own.  

No, it won't have what you need to detect a leak.  Make yourself some soapy water in a spray bottle.  Put pressure on everything with the range knobs in the off position and spray the connections.  You will see bubbles if you have a leak.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]
thank you everyone!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top