Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2024 10:36:11 AM EDT
I’m looking to have two barreled actions built, nearly identical except for caliber/chambering. One in .308, one in .223 Wylde. Budget is approximately $2500 ea.

Action: Impact Precision or similar
Barrels: Bartlein or Krieger

My only real need is a custom barrel profile for the Allen Engineering AEM5 and AEM5-30 suppressors.

Sourcing the barrels and actions individually, then sending it to a builder for profiling and assembly is proving to be a bit time consuming.

Any recommendations for a one-stop shop? I have emails out to several custom builders, including GA Precision, RW Sneider, and others, but no replies yet.

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By goloud:
I’m looking to have two barreled actions built, nearly identical except for caliber/chambering. One in .308, one in .223 Wylde. Budget is approximately $2500 ea.

Action: Impact Precision or similar
Barrels: Bartlein or Krieger

My only real need is a custom barrel profile for the Allen Engineering AEM5 and AEM5-30 suppressors.

Sourcing the barrels and actions individually, then sending it to a builder for profiling and assembly is proving to be a bit time consuming.

Any recommendations for a one-stop shop? I have emails out to several custom builders, including GA Precision, RW Sneider, and others, but no replies yet.

Thanks

View Quote

You might have an issue trying to one stop shop something like this as rifle builders are busy.  There is a reason they arent getting back to you, they are all busy, and are probably booked out at least 12-18 months in projects.
Lead times on most shops just to get a chambering job done might be 60-90 days out unless they can squeeze one in for you.  A full build, EI they source the actions and blanks might put you out over a year.  I know Brux and Bartlien are about 9 months lead time right now just on barrels as I talk with both of them or gunsmiths that use their barrels on a semi-regular basis.  No idea on what Impact is on lead time for actions, but Id bet at least 6 months.

A best bet is to source the parts you want, and then find a shop that is willing to do the work.  More leg work for you yes, but you get what you want, and it will probably take less time in the long run.  The one thing you do have going for you is that you dont want a profiled blank, so that might make it easier to get the barrel, but harder to find someone that can profile the barrel to work with your Allen cans.  

Dont be afraid to look at other options as well.  Brux barrels have won alot of world championships.  Kauger makes a pretty slick action.  That list goes on and on, you just have to be willing to explore other options.  

FWIW, a year lead isnt that bad.  I waited 14 months just for the Manners stock for my 300 PRC.  I went with an ARC action because they generally available and I wanted true controlled round feed.  I got lucky on my Bartlien blank because I know someone and was able to find what I wanted in their in stock profiled barrels.  That rifle took me about 16 months to get together start to finish.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]

This makes a lot of sense and is understandable. I’m not a precision rifle guy, so I’m not familiar with long build times. I’m sure that I am oversimplifying the process. Quality takes time.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kaldor:

You might have an issue trying to one stop shop something like this as rifle builders are busy.  There is a reason they arent getting back to you, they are all busy, and are probably booked out at least 12-18 months in projects.
Lead times on most shops just to get a chambering job done might be 60-90 days out unless they can squeeze one in for you.  A full build, EI they source the actions and blanks might put you out over a year.  I know Brux and Bartlien are about 9 months lead time right now just on barrels as I talk with both of them or gunsmiths that use their barrels on a semi-regular basis.  No idea on what Impact is on lead time for actions, but Id bet at least 6 months.

A best bet is to source the parts you want, and then find a shop that is willing to do the work.  More leg work for you yes, but you get what you want, and it will probably take less time in the long run.  The one thing you do have going for you is that you dont want a profiled blank, so that might make it easier to get the barrel, but harder to find someone that can profile the barrel to work with your Allen cans.  

Dont be afraid to look at other options as well.  Brux barrels have won alot of world championships.  Kauger makes a pretty slick action.  That list goes on and on, you just have to be willing to explore other options.  

FWIW, a year lead isnt that bad.  I waited 14 months just for the Manners stock for my 300 PRC.  I went with an ARC action because they generally available and I wanted true controlled round feed.  I got lucky on my Bartlien blank because I know someone and was able to find what I wanted in their in stock profiled barrels.  That rifle took me about 16 months to get together start to finish.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a great idea. Thank you.

Originally Posted By Rob01:

Why have two built when you can build one and switch boltfaces and barrels? Use a Zermatt Origin or TL3 action and the extra boltface is $125 and then the extra barrel. One action, trigger, scope and stock. Saves a LOT of money.

Also with those actions you can just order shouldered prefit barrels and put them on at home. The days of having to send a rifle to a smith are gone. Easy to do at home with a barrel vise and action wrench.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/B493794E-D35C-4BCE-9220-A5BC8475E5DF-2664601.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By goloud:

This makes a lot of sense and is understandable. I’m not a precision rifle guy, so I’m not familiar with long build times. I’m sure that I am oversimplifying the process. Quality takes time.

View Quote

Yeah, it sucks.  There is money in building custom guns though, but it requires alot of tooling, a machine that is really capable of doing it right, and alot of experience.  I know enough to be dangerous on the mill and lathe, but no fucking way would I want to have someones $500 blank on my lathe that they had to wait a year for.  Barrel profiling is quit a trick too and takes it even further in the equipment needed.

The local smith I use is 90 days on just chambering and cutting muzzle threads and thats all he does.  He charges $300 for chambering, and I think another $50 more if you want a tuner or brake threaded on.  He chambered my last rifle pretty quick, because a project got put on hold, he suddenly had a spare couple hours, and got it on the lathe faster than I expected.  Didnt hurt that I was 100% ready, all he had to do was cut the chamber, thread the muzzle, and get paid.  There is nothing he hates more than when guys show up and are missing shit and arent ready.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#7]
These guys should have barreled actions in stock, from a wide range of makers....
OP if you pick the right action, they will be able to be barreled by yourself with just a few simple tools with pre-fit barrels..I use a Defiance Tenacity action with Bartlein barrels, My stateside smith spins up a shouldered barrel when I need one and ships it to me, I pull the old one, spin on the new one, torque to spec and check headspace and put the rifle back together...that simple, that easy..takes 5 minutes....Not to mention the unstuck profit barrels available most places nowadays... It is also much faster and cheaper than having to send the action back and forth and have one done...

https://www.altusshooting.com/collections/precision-rifle-components/actions?page=2
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Southern precision rifles.   Aka.  Bugholes will fix you up
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#9]
Purchase action/s and barrels.  Send barrels to ADCO for correct profiling for the Allen Engineering supressors.  Then assemble at home as Rob01 mentioned.
Top Top