Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2024 11:40:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Creatyre]
To introduce myself, I'm an AR platform guy, and looking to put together a precision system most likely utilizing the MPA matrix chassis.

My question is, am I within reason to collect all the appropriate parts, reciever, barrel, chassis, etc, and assemble? Or am I better off seeking a professional? I'm used to doing it myself, though I'm very intimidated.

Do I want a remington short? Tikka? Help?

Admittedly, I've never actually purchased a complete rifle, so I'm at a loss as to where to start.

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Budget=?
View Quote

If possible, under 5-4k including reciever/barrel, chassis and optic?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boisestatefan] [#3]
Arc coup de grace or zermatt short action.
Prefit proof barrel
MPA is one of the top 3 or 4 chassis out there
Triggertech special trigger. I just don't see enough difference between that and the diamond to justify the price.
Area 419 brake or suppressor of choice
A couple AI mags and you're set for well under 4k.

Or just buy a Seekins Havak HIT Pro for $2400 and be ready to shoot really tiny groups.
6.5 creedmoor or 6gt
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:44:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
MPA PMR Matrix Pro

PRS2024 for 15% off
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the help everyone, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you already have eyes on the MPA chassis, hard not to just go with their PRS entry level rifle(they have a couple depending on what you want).. add a scope and you are good to go, or you can build as you desire... an action MPA builds for(hard to beat a R-700 clone) such as an entry defiance like the classic for 990 bucks that will take pre-fit barrels(no action needed to make/buy a barrel that will screw on and fit ready to shoot) with nothing but a barrel vice/action wrench/go-nogo gauges....The defiance is great action as long as you don't need to switch case head sizes down the road other wise and action you can swap easy to replace bolt head..I went defiance tenacity because any cartridge I might want down the road will likely still run the magnum bolt face..so no brainer for me....add a quality pre-fit barrel, brake trigger, magazine and scope and you are ready to go...

Mine..
MPA BA chassis
defiance tenacity  LA action
trigger tech special
fat bastard brake
Bartlein medium palma 9twist 5R barrel blank chambered for 300 rum by smith
Atlas PRS
MPA spigot/bag rider/mount
Accurate mag 3.850" 300rum mags
Vortex razor 4.5-27-56

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:15:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you to the two additional responses, mighty fine rifles.

To be honest I was intimidated to assemble one myself, as I've always heard references to "bedding" a rifle. However, it appears that with the chassis' this wouldn't be necessary due to the machining tolerances?

Is it very plug and play in terms of just barrel into reciever, reciever into chassis?

I appreciate all of the insight. I've done some on shooting on bolt actions, but never got to purchasing/ building one myself.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

You don't need to bed a chassis. Drop it in and torque down the action screws. You will laugh at how easy it is to put together compared to an AR with all it's pins and all. Here's the procedure:

Screw action on to shouldered prefit barrel in barrel vice and torque down

Install trigger with 2 pins

Drop barreled action into chassis and torque down action screws

Screw on brake and snug the locking nut

Done. Yes it's that easy. Do not get a barrel that uses a barrel nut. Adds more to the process and is not needed with a good action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Originally Posted By Creatyre:
Thank you to the two additional responses, mighty fine rifles.

To be honest I was intimidated to assemble one myself, as I've always heard references to "bedding" a rifle. However, it appears that with the chassis' this wouldn't be necessary due to the machining tolerances?

Is it very plug and play in terms of just barrel into reciever, reciever into chassis?

I appreciate all of the insight. I've done some on shooting on bolt actions, but never got to purchasing/ building one myself.

You don't need to bed a chassis. Drop it in and torque down the action screws. You will laugh at how easy it is to put together compared to an AR with all it's pins and all. Here's the procedure:

Screw action on to shouldered prefit barrel in barrel vice and torque down

Install trigger with 2 pins

Drop barreled action into chassis and torque down action screws

Screw on brake and snug the locking nut

Done. Yes it's that easy. Do not get a barrel that uses a barrel nut. Adds more to the process and is not needed with a good action.

Huh, I would've thought it was much more involved. Each post in here gets me closer and closer to pulling the trigger (sorry) on something.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of building a rifle is not hard - especially these days when you can get pre-fit barrels.  

What are you trying to accomplish?  How far do you want to shoot?  What is your definition of "precision"?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By jbmillard:
Most of building a rifle is not hard - especially these days when you can get pre-fit barrels.  

What are you trying to accomplish?  How far do you want to shoot?  What is your definition of "precision"?
View Quote

I'm not competing at the moment, I just enjoy the challenges of distance shooting as it's relatively new to me.

Most shooting will admittedly be in the area of 350-400 yards due to available range constraints. I have pushed to about 700 yards with a 308 rifle with a goal to get out to1000 this year.

I'm still very green at reading wind and I am building up my fundamentals, but I want to slowly put together a rifle that I can grow with. Kind of a buy one cry once thing.
Top Top