Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2019 5:17:53 PM EDT
So just got a teslong borescope. I am fascinated and frustrated!

So can someone outline the process for getting a quality barrel (Bartlein) "borescope clean"

I usually start with a foaming cleaner and let it set for awhile. Follow up with 10-20 brush strokes then 10 patches or so. My mission was always cleaner not like new.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've found with foam or even the gel, it takes a few rotations of cleaner, let it sit for an hour or 2, clean.  It will be clean as far as fouling but to get all the copper out takes some time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Swab the bore generously with Hoppe's, THEN shoot in your foaming cleaner.  It'll work faster.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You want to remove all the carbon, not the copper. Try Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover.
Link Posted: 9/17/2019 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:
You want to remove all the carbon, not the copper. Try Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover.
View Quote
Pretty much this.

Borescopes are only useful after you've removed all the excess powder fouling, and more importantly the baked on carbon fouling.

Bore Tech C4 along with brushing with bronze brushes is a really good way of scrubbing it out. No chemical solvent/cleaner alone is going to remove carbon fouling; you MUST brush it out.

Afterwards you can bore scope it, or you can run a copper cleaner (such as Bore Tech eliminator) to remove the copper.

Lastly, if you really want to take it down to bare metal, hit it with a patch wrapped around a brush with some JB bore paste (the kind with blue lettering) for ~20-30 strokes in the first 6-8" of the throat.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I cleaned mine with Bore Tech Eliminator. My gunsmith commented on how clean the bore was and told me to keep using what it was I was using.
Top Top