Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2024 3:07:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer]
Do any of you shoot indoors during the winter?

Do any of you participate in any form of competitive shooting, or is it all recreational shooting?

Gallery Shooting

Most gallery rifle events are shot at distances between 10 meters and 50 meters although a few do go out to 300 meters. There is a large selection of gallery rifle events which only require range space out to 25 meters so the discipline is easily accessible and can be shot on indoor ranges. The most common shooting position is standing unsupported but some events do test the competitor's skills from other positions such as kneeling, sitting or from the weak shoulder or hand. Some competitions are deliberate precision events whilst others require the competitor to shoot and reload quite quickly. The targets can be stationary or turning at set intervals. Some targets are moving and reactive (e.g. steel plates).[1]

Classification rules allow rifles to be fitted with either iron sights, scopes or red dot sights. Targets vary according to the event being shot. Targets range from traditional concentric circle 'bullseye' targets to various styles of disruptive pattern designs. Targets may be fixed facing the shooters or set on turning target mechanisms which are requires for rapid and snap shooting events.

Many events are also shot in classes or divisions which allow people to compete equally among their peers. The classification system is administered by the country specific NGBs.

Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
50 feet was a common gallery distance. My company had a shooting range and active club shooting. Pretty much had weekly shooting events. Prone and 4 position rifle being the most common. I did that for many years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I know we have many people here from parts of the country (and the wider world)which get VERY cold in the winter.  I thought that weather would drive people to indoor shooting ranges, so they could keep shooting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It does get cold up here, but the closest indoor range is 60 miles away, and since they're the only one around they charge a ridiculous amount per hour to shoot.

I just shoot in the cold.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve shot some indoor BR with my dad, but I prefer shooting NRL/PRS rimfire. The whole 50-100yds indoors just isn’t as fun for me. I prefer movement and shooting from barricades vs benches.

When it gets real cold, the shivers add into your wobble zone!
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
When / where I grew up there were at least a dozen indoor fifty foot ranges in my area, and 50 foot small bore rifle was very popular. At the time, a good number of high schools had rifle teams and the big NCAA division I athletic departments offered scholarships for small bore shooters. When I was in college was on a team and even got to try out for the Olympic team. Bullseye shooting unfortunately has almost gone the way of the dodo with action style events predominating today. Still in foul weather shooting indoor on the small 50 foot international target is definitely a way to keep skills sharp and is very humbling with the offhand and kneeling stages
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot indoor winter postal leagues and NRA Sectional for yrs. They generally do postal for 22LR pistol , shotgun and rifle.

Than there are monthly sanctioned indoor matches, for pistol its a 90 shot bullseye, 60 Standard pistol and a 60 shot 10M Air Pistol. Matches for rifle too but most are junior events.

My club also does that NRA action pistol thing, others do Glock matches.

Lots of winter shooting esp if you have local ranges with indoor range.
Top Top