Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2023 7:25:25 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a PRS stock for my Mega Maten and I'm considering the Magpul PRS Gen 3, PRS Lite and B5 precision.

Weight savings would be a bonus, but not necessary.

I like that the Lite is cheaper, lighter and has most of the same adjustment as the PRS Gen3, but in some reviews it seems the riser doesn't seem very solid and gives easily.

B5 precision I've heard may not fit tightly some buffer tubes.

PRS Gen3, heaviest and longest, but appears to lock up solid in every way. Length may not be an issue for me though, I currently run a B5 sopmod on my Maten and if I set the stock set approx 11.5" (shortest length on Gen3) from the receiver the length of pull doesn't feel excessive, but I would definitely have to move my scope back further.

I'd like to hear some real-world opinions from experienced users on these stocks. Even better if you've tried two or all of them and which you preferred most and why?
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a Magpul PRS lite on my Ruger precision. The weight seems to be a good balance.
I havent had any issues with the cheek riser and everything locked up tight.
Your buffer tube is different from mine but Im sure if you get the right one for your buffer tube.
It should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a B5 Precision carbine stock and really like it so far. It’s got some weight compared to what I’m used to (SOPMOD, SL-S, etc) but it’s easy to use and works great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:18:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a PRS Gen 2 on an AR10. Its very solid and adjusts nicely to fit, but it is heavy. That entire gun is chunky though, so it balances.

I have a PRS Lite on a recent 18" ar15 build. I like it pretty well. It is a touch long (I'm not a big guy at 5'10"), but not so much that its inhibitive. Definitely much Lite-er.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I second the opinions on the PRS lite. For what it’s worth, with a 1.5” scope height I don’t need to extend the riser at all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:27:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#6]
Original PRS stocks are the beset ... the Gen 3 leaves a loooot to be desired in my opinion ... I hate it ... rather have just an A2 over it ...

If Magpul would release a PRS Lite for A2 buffer tubes ... I would probably try it ...

FAB RAPS Precision stock is slick and I quite like it ... and what I currently run ...

Haven't had the chance to run a B5 Precision yet ... Luth-AR is meh ...
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I was contemplating my philosophy of use for this rifle, and I really like the idea of the B5 precision, being able to collapse like a carbine stock while having its own micro adjustments seems like a good fit and I can go with the longer (medium) riser and not really have to worry about the CH hitting it if the stock isn't fully closed.

And just found one in the EE for a good price, so I think I'm going to try out that one and see if it works for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jeeper21:
I was contemplating my philosophy of use for this rifle, and I really like the idea of the B5 precision, being able to collapse like a carbine stock while having its own micro adjustments seems like a good fit and I can go with the longer (medium) riser and not really have to worry about the CH hitting it if the stock isn't fully closed.

And just found one in the EE for a good price, so I think I'm going to try out that one and see if it works for me.
View Quote

Good choice. I went with the same, medium. Charging handle is no issue in any position for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

What's a good price? They can be had online for $200 and you get your choice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Cycolac:

What's a good price? They can be had online for $200 and you get your choice.
View Quote

$160 shipped and it just happened to be the exact model I was considering, coyote with the medium riser.

I had a chance to check one out today at my LGS, they had an LWRC with the short version installed and it fit tight like a Magpul SL, I’m hoping the one I receive fits as tight. The riser and butt adjustments felt very solid as well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2023 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Good choice. I went with the same, medium. Charging handle is no issue in any position for me.
View Quote

I have a Mega Maten 308, so the CH might hit if it’s fully collapsed, but being able to close it anywhere on the RE makes it a non-issue. And I have a FCD A5 tube on it, so I’ve got 9 positions to choose from.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got it today and put it on. So far, the only negative is that riser adjustment doesn't go very high, just a tad more for prone would be nice, other than that I like it, the stock locks up solid in all positions, and the weight isn't bad, but the increase is noticeable over the sopmod.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got it today and put it on. So far, the only negative is that riser adjustment doesn't go very high, just a tad more for prone would be nice, other than that I like it, the stock locks up solid in all positions, and the weight isn't bad, but the increase is noticeable over the sopmod.
View Quote

Yep, I’ve noticed the same. Could use a tad bit more elevation on the riser, but it’s a rare instance I would need more. Weight is there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I absolutely love the Magpul PRS.  Its heavy but super solid.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:12:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jeeper21] [#15]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Yep, I’ve noticed the same. Could use a tad bit more elevation on the riser, but it’s a rare instance I would need more. Weight is there.
View Quote

I just got the B5 cheekpiece add-on for my stock, it adds the little extra height I wanted and provides a little more width with an overmold texture. It really improves the feel, like adding a cheek pad.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been thinking about the B5 stock.  I have a PRS 3 and really like it but I'm thinking the B5 would be a better option for my 5.56 SPR.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm looking at getting a PRS stock for my Mega Maten and I'm considering the Magpul PRS Gen 3, PRS Lite and B5 precision.

Weight savings would be a bonus, but not necessary.

I like that the Lite is cheaper, lighter and has most of the same adjustment as the PRS Gen3, but in some reviews it seems the riser doesn't seem very solid and gives easily.

B5 precision I've heard may not fit tightly some buffer tubes.

PRS Gen3, heaviest and longest, but appears to lock up solid in every way. Length may not be an issue for me though, I currently run a B5 sopmod on my Maten and if I set the stock set approx 11.5" (shortest length on Gen3) from the receiver the length of pull doesn't feel excessive, but I would definitely have to move my scope back further.

I'd like to hear some real-world opinions from experienced users on these stocks. Even better if you've tried two or all of them and which you preferred most and why?
View Quote

PRS Lite is an excellent stock, I haven't noted any issues with my cheek riser. B5 will rattle a bit on some tubes (no locking mechanism). PRS3 is nice for a bench gun, but HEAVY if you walk with it. Only negative with the Lite that I've found is that you can't use an A2 tube on it. I've found the A2 buffer is a lot softer-shooting than the carbine style (including the A5).
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I tried the Magpul PRS Gen 3 first on my 6.5Creedmoor Zev build, and it was way too long for me.  I wanted the B5 precision but at the time I couldn't find it anywhere.  Ended up with a similar stock from LMT and have been happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
IF...and I mean IF... you can find a gen 1 PRS, get that.  It took me a few months to find one on the EE for a decent price.   I also got a gen 3 prs.  It's good.. I just prefer the gen 1.  The B5 1 is cool...but not that price tag.
Top Top