Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2021 10:25:57 PM EDT
So I got a new stock and bedded it myself to see if I could pull it off hoping that it would improve accuracy, and it kinda did.

The factory stock would shoot a constant 1" 3 round group. shot three groups and they all came in at 1" or a tad under.

Today I shot it after bedding and noticed that my first shot was high and to the left, I actually ended up shooting 2 4 round groups and both times the first shot would be high left then the other three both times came in right at 3/4". The 4 round groups both were at 1 1/2"

So my question is, how do I mitigate that first round? Or do I need to work up s new load?

It's a 700 varmint. Would possibly putting more bedding under the barrel help? I noticed the factory stock had two ridges putting pressure on the barrel at the end.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, pencil barrel 700's like a little up pressure on the barrels, normally will cut group size in half.. Or don't build it up and instead install a better barrel...
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Yep, pencil barrel 700's like a little up pressure on the barrels, normally will cut group size in half.. Or don't build it up and instead install a better barrel...
View Quote

Ha, I'm poor from NV and thermal this year

So should I go with putting more bedding under the barrel towards the receiver/chamber? Or should I put something up near the end of the forearm?
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CPT_CAVEMAN:
So I got a new stock and bedded it myself to see if I could pull it off hoping that it would improve accuracy, and it kinda did.

The factory stock would shoot a constant 1" 3 round group. shot three groups and they all came in at 1" or a tad under.

Today I shot it after bedding and noticed that my first shot was high and to the left, I actually ended up shooting 2 4 round groups and both times the first shot would be high left then the other three both times came in right at 3/4". The 4 round groups both were at 1 1/2"

So my question is, how do I mitigate that first round? Or do I need to work up s new load?

It's a 700 varmint. Would possibly putting more bedding under the barrel help? I noticed the factory stock had two ridges putting pressure on the barrel at the end.
View Quote
I wasn't aware a 700 Varmint had a "pencil barrel".

If the barrel is free floated now, I'd certainly not change anything with only a couple of 4 shot groups for data. Shoot a half dozen 5 shot groups. I'd include the "cold shot" in the groups and note the first shot each time. Foul the barrel after cleaning.

I might be wrong but I think a larger sample will show you your cold bore shot isn't going to be consistently that far from your group. A clean bore maybe, but not a cold bore.

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Ha, I'm poor from NV and thermal this year

So should I go with putting more bedding under the barrel towards the receiver/chamber? Or should I put something up near the end of the forearm?
View Quote

We have always gotten best results right up under the front lip of the stock..I normally use coated business card folded in half...

Originally Posted By housewolf:
I wasn't aware a 700 Varmint had a "pencil barrel".

If the barrel is free floated now, I'd certainly not change anything with only a couple of 4 shot groups for data. Shoot a half dozen 5 shot groups. I'd include the "cold shot" in the groups and note the first shot each time. Foul the barrel after cleaning.

I might be wrong but I think a larger sample will show you your cold bore shot isn't going to be consistently that far from your group. A clean bore maybe, but not a cold bore.

View Quote

You could be right, and it may just need to be fouled better, but one of our hunting Buddys has a Long range Remington 700 with the sendero barrel and hers was off on the first cold bore shot...I slipped a part of an old credit card under hers and it closed right up...I thought it was odd at the time because we have 4-5 of the LR700's in 3 cartridges and hers is the only one that has needed a shim...
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]

We have always gotten best results right up under the front lip of the stock..I normally use coated business card folded in half...

You could be right, and it may just need to be fouled better, but one of our hunting Buddys has a Long range Remington 700 with the sendero barrel and hers was off on the first cold bore shot...I slipped a part of an old credit card under hers and it closed right up...I thought it was odd at the time because we have 4-5 of the LR700's in 3 cartridges and hers is the only one that has needed a shim...
View Quote

Which means I should have just skipped the bedding if that does turnout to be the case.I was thinking free floating would improve accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Between the two 4 shot groups how long did you let the barrel cool? Did it get down to ambient temp? Or just so it’s not hot?
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Rex_Allen:
Between the two 4 shot groups how long did you let the barrel cool? Did it get down to ambient temp? Or just so it’s not hot?
View Quote

10 mins about.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 1:03:54 AM EDT
[#8]

10 mins about.
View Quote

That should have been enough to get the barrel back to cold...
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]

That should have been enough to get the barrel back to cold...
View Quote

Maybe in AK lol. 10 minutes here would still be pretty warm. Depending on ambient temp barrel could’ve been warm still.

OP try another 5 shot group when you get a chance. Don’t shoot the rifle as the first of the range trip.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
With a Remington Varmint contour barrel it shouldn't need any pressure points and a 700 VS should be free floated before from the factory. It's also heavy enough not to have to worry about shots drifting from 5 or even 10 shots but then again it's a factory barrel and anything could be going on.

Honestly unless you are 100% sure on your bedding job it might be causing your issues if your rifle is shifting. Make sure it's torqued down correctly also. I had a 300WM 700P, same barrel contour as the 700 Varmint, and it would shift in the stock from the factory in the HS stock. I would get two shots close to each other and then a 3 shot groups close together but a distance from the first two. I sent it to my buddy who is a smith and I trust and he bedded it and it was one group after that. So I would take a look at your bedding job and see if there is any evidence of movement.
View Quote

Ya they're torqued, 25 front, 20 back. No voids in the bedding, I mean that could be it. But would think it couldn't be any worse than the factory plastic stock. Might try torquing them as much as I can and see if that helps.  It's also pillar bedded.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Ya they're torqued, 25 front, 20 back. No voids in the bedding, I mean that could be it. But would think it couldn't be any worse than the factory plastic stock. Might try torquing them as much as I can and see if that helps.  It's also pillar bedded.
View Quote

Hmm...you might be light on your torque numbers..MPA calls for 65 in-pds for the action bolts, and pretty sure thats standard for all rem700's, at least with any kind of bedding block..I see 40-45 for wood stocks often recommended as well...
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

25 and 20 inch pounds? That’s very low. Most pillar bedded stocks are 65 in/lbs. Is it a wood stock? I would bump it up quite a bit and see what happens.
View Quote

It's a boyds stock. I'll increase the torque and try it again next time I shoot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Hmm...you might be light on your torque numbers..MPA calls for 65 in-pds for the action bolts, and pretty sure thats standard for all rem700's, at least with any kind of bedding block..I see 40-45 for wood stocks often recommended as well...
View Quote

Thanks for the numbers, I'll crank it down and try to hit 65
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Top Top