Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2023 10:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alaskan_9974]
Looking at buying another 338, I have a Christensen and a Bergara as far as precision rifles go, but I want a chassis rifle.

I was looking at some options and saw MPA Matrix has one that fits what I am looking for. Are they good to go? Would be using their 30” barrel, probably a Sendero profile with an impact 737.

Considered a sako but it seems MPA has a good reputation and wouldn’t have to change much if at all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
MPA rifles and chassis are good to go. Some people criticize the Curtis actions because of issues with Curtis, but you're avoiding that by choosing the Impact. I'm not sure what your use case is for this rifle, but for a 338 with a 30" barrel, why not go to a heavier contour? It's already going to be a heavy rifle, more weight out front will only stabilize the rifle more.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spectre3:
MPA rifles and chassis are good to go. Some people criticize the Curtis actions because of issues with Curtis, but you're avoiding that by choosing the Impact. I'm not sure what your use case is for this rifle, but for a 338 with a 30" barrel, why not go to a heavier contour? It's already going to be a heavy rifle, more weight out front will only stabilize the rifle more.
View Quote

I didn’t realize I typed 30, I meant 27. I was stuck comparing rifles and goofed.

Use is mainly target I tend to stick to 6-800 yards but do like to reach out to 1000+ when I can and the 6.5 PRC I have makes it difficult beyond that to see where the hits are, not dusty where I live and doesn’t throw up mud as much at that range.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
I'd get a 30" barrel on a big magnum. Why not? You get free velocity. Just being used for target use so get a heavy 30-32" barrel and send those rounds out at a good velocity.

What's your max range?
View Quote

<This. Large caliber rifles really need long barrels to thrive.

I have several 30" rifles, 6mmBR, 6.5x47mm, .308 Palma, and several 27.5" .308's.

My single shot .300 Winchester Mag is 27.5". It would make me happy if it were longer!

Longer barrels allow for efficient use of powder charges. I have several 26" .223's!

A medium Palma profile is pretty close to ideal for a 30" barrel.
Top Top