Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2023 7:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluezerosix]
OK Gentlemen, please help me ID this .308 WIN barrel…trying to figure out who made it.

The story on it is that it’s a take-off from a rifle built on a Remington 700 short action that a coworker bought for the action, stock and some other things on the rifle. He’s going to rebarrel the rifle in a different caliber. He gave it to me because he said he didn’t have a use for it.

It’s a 24” barrel and it’s pretty obvious that it’s not a Remington factory barrel. Definitely carbon steel. The only marking on it is a small stamped ”308 WIN”, there’s nothing else I can find on it.  It’s also obviously a pretty heavy profile. It had a considerable amount of copper fouling which I was able to clean out without any trouble.

I don’t have any gauges to check the muzzle or throat erosion but doing the old “bullet test” on the muzzle ala checking AK kit muzzles from a few years back, it appears to have a lot of life left in it.

The only real concern I have are threads on the chamber end. I’ve included some pictures for your review…please help me on this as I might like to use it on a beater bolt gun build.

Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:28:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluezerosix] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
No real way to tell without any other markings or info from who had it built. Looks like an M24 contour so you should be able to cut off the threads and rechamber and thread it for your action if you wanted. Don't know why he wouldn't keep it as it's for his rifle.
View Quote

My coworker is a competitive shooter and doesn’t use .308. He generally prefers 6.5CM and doesn’t use .308 in competition that I’m aware of.

I’m going to keep as a .308 and probably use it to build a “beater” rifle for myself or give it to my son. I just want to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

I can probably get a R700 action for a reduced cost through work and would probably go with a KRG Bravo chassis.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:03:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluezerosix] [#4]

Still a good barrel for practice but his loss is your gain. Yeah just get it set back and put on a new action and you will be all set. Will be about 22.5" by then but still will work fine.
View Quote

Yeah, just found out that it’s a Remington SPS barrel. I would have never guessed that but, then again, I haven’t really been around bolt guns for quite a while.

If I can get it to shoot .75 MOA, I’ll call it good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 1:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
6-groove rifling.  You might be able to tell cut or button rifling from the surface finish at the muzzle end (usually minimal erosion on that end).  If you can see traces of super small "grooves" in the grooves of the rifling, we're talking nearly microscopic scale here... then it's likely cut-rifled, and that may narrow it down a little bit.  HS-Precision makes cut-rifled 6-grove barrels.  Others will, too, but typically you see 4-groove (brux, Krieger, etc.) or 5R (Bartlein).  If it looks like a mirror, it might be button rifled and it's anyone's guess.  Wilson, Douglas, Benchmark, Mcgowen, etc... Most of them honestly are 6-groove.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:42:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: devildog3062] [#7]

Who told you that? Doesn’t look like any Remington factory barrel I have ever seen in both contour and markings. Remington has more markings on the barrels. I highly doubt that is a Remington barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluezerosix:

Yeah, just found out that it’s a Remington SPS barrel. I would have never guessed that but, then again, I haven’t really been around bolt guns for quite a while.

If I can get it to shoot .75 MOA, I’ll call it good.

Who told you that? Doesn’t look like any Remington factory barrel I have ever seen in both contour and markings. Remington has more markings on the barrels. I highly doubt that is a Remington barrel.

I have 3 SPS rifles and that barrel doesn't have the same crown nor the same contour.
That barrel looks to have a straight contour.
If it is an M24 wouldn't the caliber be 7.62 and not 308?
Is the rifling 5R?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:43:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: borderpatrol] [#8]
Your barrel is an aftermarket based on the .308 markings.

Standard practice to reuse a worn barrel is to cut 1" from the muzzle and recrown. Barrel bore diameters open up a little bit at the muzzle after repeated firing.

The barrel threads are then cut off and new ones are cut to fit your receiver and a new chamber is reamed to achieve proper headspace.

This basically gives you like new rifling ahead of your new chamber because the old erosion has been machined away.

That barrel is significantly heavier than any factory Remington 700, outside of their 40-X competition rifles. You have plenty of material to work with.

Taking the time to make sure the bore is running perfectly true on the lathe before removing any metal will pay dividends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top