Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2024 9:16:15 AM EDT
Remington 700 Long Range

These have been manufactured for several years. The earlier models had a M40 ish stock made by Bell and Carson and I think the barrel was standard style rifling with no muzzle threads.

Now it looks like the stock has been changed to HS Precision and the barrel has 5R rifling.

I haven`t been able to find any reviews on the new model. I remember the older model had a reputation of shooting very well.

I haven`t purchased a Remington in 30 years and have heard quality went down and is now back up.

Anyone here have any links to reviews on the new style I`ve somehow missed or any knownledge of current Remington quality?

There aren`t too many factory choices for heavier weight barreled rifles in .30-06 Sprgfld., I`d like to stay with that caliber since I already reload for it and have a good bit components on hand.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one of the older versions in 300WM.  It wouldn't shoot worth a darn no matter what I tried.  Got rid of it and bought a Bergara.  I couldn't be happier.  The Bergara is extremely accurate.

I don't know if the new versions are good or not, but I would look hard at a Bergara or Tikka instead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I would not buy a new Remington.

Depending on what you want to do, these Howa rifles look nice for silly cheap money.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up for 300 bucks a couple weeks ago.

I believe it was made in 2021. No idea in the history of it. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet.

What year is considered “new models”?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By This_Is_Necessary:
I picked up for 300 bucks a couple weeks ago.

I believe it was made in 2021. No idea in the history of it. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet.

What year is considered “new models”?
View Quote

Probably mostly anything after the bankruptcy and sale for the most part.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep watching Gunbroker for an original.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My son has one of the old ones, new in 2018 in 300rum..it shoots under 1/2 moa.. Its been a great rifle, would not hesitate to buy another..I know on the new ones they do not offer the rum anymore, too bad it's a great cartridge....

The rifle in the middle(all black) is the long range...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbmillard] [#7]
I have owned a bunch of Remingtons over the years - I even built (truing actions, rebarreling, etc.) a few.  I only have one left.  There's just so much I end up doing to them that it's really not worth it to me.

Some of the the bad things I've seen:

1) Out of spec action threads - not really a big deal if you're rebarreling since you can make the threads fit.  Also threads not centered with respect to the bolt.  
2) Crooked (not parallel) action face
3) Uneven bolt lug contact (again, not a big deal if you're rebuilding, you can fix this).  This is not unique to Remingtons, either.
4) Scope mounting holes off center.  This is why I usually rethread to 8-40.
5) Binding triggers.  I like Remington triggers, they can be made very nice with polishing
6) I don't think I've ever had a stock Remington barrel that was a good shooter.  It looks like the barrels on the Long Range model may be better.  Don't know.
7) I prefer a little bit longer bolt handle.  I usually ended up doing something with the bolt handle.  An action with a threaded bolt handle is nice as it allows you to try different knobs.
8) Scope mounts rarely fit well.  I usually end up bedding a rail to the action.  I've seen 0.030" gap at the rear.

Things I like about Remingtons:

1) The action profile is pretty much a defacto standard these days.  Many, many aftermarket parts
2) Easy to work on.
3) I've heard people don't like the extractors, but I've never broken one.

I don't know that Remington's quality has gone down all that much - I haven't bought a new one in many years.  I can tell you that I don't think it was ever all that great (and I've worked on some old Remingtons).  They do work though.

For a long range rig, I really prefer a chassis system.  This allows you to use box magazines and get the recoil straight back.  I have found just about every regular stock (e.g. non-chassis) has a little more muzzle rise in recoil.

I wouldn't buy a Remington these days.  The last rifle I bought was a Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro in 0.308.  It shoots very well and I don't feel the need to change anything on it.  It's also considerably more expensive, but no more so than any of the Remingtons I had after I finshed all the work (not including my time!).

If you're sold on 30-06, I would look for something else - but it may be hard to find.  You could always start with a long action Remington and see if it shoots.  If not, start modifying...
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The new Remarms rifles are the best rifles they’ve ever made, including the ones before quality went down after freedom group acquired them and started running the company into the ground. Everything is made on all new machines and not the old worn out crap.

I know several people who have bought them and have had excellent results.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the good info / opinions.

I`m beginning to think I might have to broaden my choice of calibers to have more styles of bolt guns to pick from.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheMax:
Thanks for all the good info / opinions.

I`m beginning to think I might have to broaden my choice of calibers to have more styles of bolt guns to pick from.
View Quote

You should probably buy a "custom" action and then a prefit barrel. Gone are the days of having to pay a lot of money to a gunsmith to build your rifle. You can order the components and build it yourself easily.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:
The new Remarms rifles are the best rifles they’ve ever made, including the ones before quality went down after freedom group acquired them and started running the company into the ground. Everything is made on all new machines and not the old worn out crap.

View Quote

Yup. I bought a new 700 Varmint last fall and it's fantastic. Seems like the new owners are serious about leaving the Freedom Group reputation in the dust.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hiih8r:

View Quote

That is good to hear.  It was always frustrating to me to see the quality go down hill.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Top Top