Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2024 11:14:44 AM EDT
Warne, EGW, nightforce, Seekins, etc?
Is this just personal preference or what’s on sale?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It comes down to your purpose for the rifle, If you're putting something together for use to mid range, 600 meters or so most rails are sufficient. if you're purpose is 1000 or plus then you want one which you know is good.  My precision rifle has a Near base which I'm very happy with.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d tap for 8-40 screws and go with a Talley base.

Badger and Nightforce are certainly GTG as well. The only one I’d stay away from is Larue. Their base is too long for most applications and can interfere with scope.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with this.  It's better if you can have someone with a milling machine do the tapping.  I've done a bunch and the holes are rarely in line - some were way out.  I use a 9/64" end mill (which is within 0.0001" of the tap drill size) that I bought just for this.  I would put the action in the vice (with everything aligned and trammed) and go straight down in the end mill then tap the hole.  Just drilling out the holes and tapping leaves you this the same misalignment that Remington built in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Warne and EGW don’t have recoil lugs, the NF extreme duty and Seekins do. That’s important to take the shear load off the screws during recoil whether you go to 8-40 screws or not, they’re tiny ass screws either way and are designed to hold things down and not take shear load.

I would get a Seekins rail and then bed the rear if it needs it and bond it to the action too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used EGW and Nightforce, as well as a few others.  The Nightforce is the nicest, but they all did the job.

Never had one come loose but I would bed the rail to the receiver before doing the upgrade to 8-40.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I went Nightforce and I love it.

But I just wanted something I knew was nice.  

I like the ring mounted scope level Nightforce has as an option.

I can’t honestly say if the juice is worth the squeeze or not, but I’m content.
Top Top