Posted: 5/3/2024 6:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunZone]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No thoughts.  But STOP YELLING AT ME!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ll play.

I doubt it would “take off” from a manufacturers perspective. That meaning the volume will never reach significant amounts. While straight pull bolt guns have seen good success in Europe and abroad American hunters are just not used to them. The benefits of a straight pull action are academic in actual hunting situations unless you are shooting pigs and need the speed.

I really don’t know how accurate they are as a precision rifle and I am unlikely to put my hard earned cash down for one. Has anyone run them in PRS or any other precision rifle series? What is the chamber/bolt lockup design? Can I call any good barrel builder and order a barrel chambered for it?

I am curious about them but I know what I am getting with most precision rifle actions. I don’t know what I would be getting with this straight pull action. What is the factory support like? If I have issues what is turn around time for repairs? Are the actions handloader friendly? Lots of questions…

At this point, too many unknowns for me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure there will be some interest in it, but I doubt it will take over the bolt action market.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I love Beretta, and i would like one, but doubt that it will happen. The problem with straight pull rifles is they are almost always 2X the price of a serviceable bolt action rifle. And it doesn’t really look much different than a savage Axis.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool gun. Hope it does well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#8]
How much are extra barrels?  Neat in concept but it’s been done before and wasn’t widely accepted.

Suppressor ready? What’s the OD of the shoulder behind the threads?

When and where can I hold one?  I’m actually in the market for a bolt gun right now and like the straight pull concept.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be interested for the novelty of it.

But the last mid-priced straight pull bolt rifle I tried was a Savage...and the cocking effort required pulling your face off the stock.

I was embarrassed for the store owner.

Straight pull with low cocking effort would be great.  Might win over adherents.  If operating the bolt affects sight picture? I wouldn't sell it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Agreed. If you look at the 2nd pic, that carrier or safety is going to hit you in the nose.  It’s a big assembly moving waaayyy back.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#13]
@Gunzone can you expand on this a bit:

"Carbon Fiber - Wrapped Fully Cold Hammer Forged Barrel"

I've watched several Youtube reviews of this and no one mentioned a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.  Manufacturers often seem like they want to show off the CF by leaving it visible.  Did Beretta paint over the CF, or is this not carbon fiber wrapped?  I'm looking at that chunky barrel, presumably nearly .750 for most of it's length, and thinking that's a heavy gun, but the specs say 7.3 lbs.  So...CF wrapped?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
They lost me with the whole taking my cheek off to cycle it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
They lost me with the whole taking my cheek off to cycle it.
View Quote

If you watch Youtube videos on it, a lot of people are able to stay on the stock and cycle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
@Gunzone
I dug into the carbon fiber thing a bit.  There is a different model called the BRX Carbon, only comes in .300 WM.  Costs an extre $300.  Your webpage lists the 6.5CM and says it has a CF wrapped barrel.  I would suggest cleaning that up.  If I ordered from you expecting CF wrapped and got a full steel barrel I'd be hella pissed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GunZone:

@rob78

If you have your scope properly mounted and the proper eye relief setting for your optic, you do not have to move your face off of the stock. I have personally cycled this gun in both the left hand and right hand setups. I will try to find some video of this rifle being cycled to show this. I will include it in this thread if I can find it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rob78:
I'd be interested for the novelty of it.

But the last mid-priced straight pull bolt rifle I tried was a Savage...and the cocking effort required pulling your face off the stock.

I was embarrassed for the store owner.

Straight pull with low cocking effort would be great.  Might win over adherents.  If operating the bolt affects sight picture? I wouldn't sell it.

@rob78

If you have your scope properly mounted and the proper eye relief setting for your optic, you do not have to move your face off of the stock. I have personally cycled this gun in both the left hand and right hand setups. I will try to find some video of this rifle being cycled to show this. I will include it in this thread if I can find it.

The bolt travel distance is not the issue.

The Savage straight pull used ball bearings that would protrude/retract for lockup.  The amount of effort it took to operate the bolt basically pulled the rifle off target. In fact I had to grip the forearm tightly with my off hand to get the bolt to retract.  This is no good for target shooting or hunting.

Maybe Beretta has figured out the secret sauce.  After I tried the Savage, I figured this is why Blaser and Merkel straight pulls cost so much...because they're smooth and fast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Beretta, and their products are usually reliable, but I'm not sold on the straight pull rifle...

If I need to run "faster" than my .30-06 bolt action in a hunting application where I need more power than a 5.56/.300bo/6.5g/6.8spc, I would lean toward a semi-automatic like a large frame AR platform. I just dont see a hunting application where I'd need to have a long action cartridge and be able to fire follow up shots faster than a slick bolt action (howa 1500, rem 700, win 70).

Take deer or elk hunting for example, I'm most likely only going to fire one shot, and when I fire that first shot I want to keep my eyes on the animal to see how they react to the hit. I would prefer to keep my cheek weld and the difference between a one-second and two-second follow up shot at distance on a single animal isnt what I'm worried about. For coyote pest control, I'd prefer a 5.56 AR15 for the price of ammunition and quick follow up shots. For hog pest control, 5.56, 7.62x39, 300bo and 6.5g all work well. For the big hogs I could see the utility, but .308 and 6.5cm work just fine.

I believe this is what europeans are forced to cope with because of tyrannical laws banning semi-automatic firearms. I'd bet if the original market this was designed for was allowed to own semi-automatic firearms unrestricted, straight pull rifles would not be popular at all.

I just dont see the advantage over the bolt action rifle we already own (and can maintain cheek weld while cycling), or a modern semi-automatic rifle designed for precision and speed (not to slightly decrease the time it takes to cycle the action while compromising ergos and bending to tyrannical laws). Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd be interested if it cost half as much. It just doesn't scream, you need me, any more than a Ruger American does.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:06:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#23]
I see they didn't bother making 10 rd mags for it. Or how about an SAR mag adapter?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Best part of that review was him explaining that it has an aluminum receiver. Hadn't heard that elsewhere.  He had 5 types of ammo but I only saw results for one.  I swear every reviewer is obsessed with the orange mag. Must be a talking point sent out by Beretta.

I handled a Savage straight pull a couple days ago and it was straight up awful. Really stiff bolt and you have to rotate the bolt back to unlock it. Not impressed.

I did quite a bit of dry fire practice and a little actual shooting this weekend and I can see the benefit of the straight pull for quick follow ups. Rotating the bolt up on my Tikka kept pushing the rifle off target.

If you’re asking for 10 round mags for this, I’m not sure you’re their target market. 😄
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Shame about that hideous stock it comes in.  Steyr is the same way.  "Hey! let's make something cool and innovative and have a 14 year old do the cosmetic design!!!"

Really annoying.  The 21st century is turning out to be rather tasteless across the board.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Shame about that hideous stock it comes in.  Steyr is the same way.  "Hey! let's make something cool and innovative and have a 14 year old do the cosmetic design!!!"

Really annoying.  The 21st century is turning out to be rather tasteless across the board.
View Quote

I'd argue they had a 70yr old design the stock. A 14yr old would have made a skeletonized stock with dangling charms on it or something. Agreed that it's a cool concept and if by some miracle it catches on, I'm sure MDT or other chassis maker will put out something cool and functional.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greyswandir] [#29]

@Greyswandir:

What type of design would you like to see? What materials, colors and features do you feel would attract US buyers?

- Nate
View Quote

IMO, the purpose of this rifle is to fill a niche that wants a modular rifle with a fast(er) action than a traditional bolt action. The precision rifle snobs will look at a rifle like this as a joke, only giving it a second glance due to it's heritage (Beretta) before claiming that it doesn't do anything that their current Terminus action w/proof barrel yadda yadda doesn't already do better. This rifle will be popular in the US, but it will be "Scout Rifle" popular. Whether that leads to US folks buying a lot of them remains to be seen. The scout rifle was the in thing for a while and I'm sure the sales were good for a time.

The types of folks who'd buy a niche rifle like this would likely want a folding style stock like the Sig Cross. I think the color choices are simple, black, OD green, and desert tan, maybe gray. The 300 win mag w/carbon fiber barrel is solid, carbon fiber in the other calibers would be great as well as a .22LR option.

With that said, if Beretta wants to attract the most people then I can see why they'd use a more traditional stock with the hope that 3rd party manufacturers will make an aftermarket stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top