Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2023 11:42:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod]
Ready to pull the trigger! Opinions welcomed! This will be primarily a 600-1,000 yd bench gun. It may be used to take a deer or two but on ag land so it won’t be carried a bunch.

The upper will be either a Seekins billet or Mega billet. I have a 16” hg for the Mega but will need a hg for the Seekins.

I definitely want a Bartlien barrel. Anyone have a preference for CLE or Craddock? I will run a can so leaning towards 20” vs 22”, opinions?

I will need to decide on bcg and gas block.

What brass are people using? I’ll be hand loading and will probably end up with a Forester die set.

What precision bullets to get started?

What Powders?

Thanks!
Edit:
The build is complete:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

First groups:
108 eldm factory(I felt pretty loose on this group)
Attachment Attached File

105 bthp factory
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Went with Craddock.

Twist Rate: 7.25
400MODBB: No
Gas Block Diameter: .875" / Medium-Heavy
Length: 20" +2 Rifle Gas System
Accessories: Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block w/ Tube (+$122)
Thread Size: 5/8x24
Time and Blended Muzzle Brake: No
Thread Protector: No
Fluting: None
Headspaced Bolt: Yes(+$72)
Finish: Bead Blast
Built Upper Options: None
I Acknowledge: Yes

Now I need to find a bolt.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 12:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#2]
Forester ultra micrometer die set ordered.

CMC 6Arc bcg ordered.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Good call, his barrels are hammers! I have two of them and they just shoot.

In for the range report and pics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shooter545:
Good call, his barrels are hammers! I have two of them and they just shoot.

In for the range report and pics.
View Quote

Could be 6 months before I see the barrel. Hope for less but happy to get it anytime!
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Enjoy your 6 ARC build. I know I enjoy mine.

I ended up going with an Odin Works 18" barrel on my build and it has done fine so far for me with factory Hornady ammo. I have not shot the 18" barrel past 500 yards yet but it has been accurate for me so far.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kangbeef] [#6]
I am looking at the same two companies as well. 20 or 22 inch also for me. Is fluting really necessary besides weight reduction and help cool the barrel a little faster. I see you went with the 400modbb steel. I know very little about that and it pros vs cons. What did the barrel end up costing you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kangbeef:
I am looking at the same two companies as well. 20 or 22 inch also for me. Is fluting really necessary besides weight reduction and help cool the barrel a little faster. I see you went with the 400modbb steel. I know very little about that and it pros vs cons. What did the barrel end up costing you.
View Quote

I actually didn’t go with the 400 steel. Some posts on here convinced my that the expected barrel life of an Arc build is significant. Not sure the extra $ was worth it for me. I went unfluted with matching bolt and adjustable gas block with gas tube and thread protector. Was right at $900.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats the answer i needed also lol. I saw the video Erik Cortina did with Frank Green and he talked about it. If i remember right he wasn't even sure if it helped but it did for some cartridges. It sure sounds cool but the cost isnt. Good luck on your build. I may have CLE make a bartlein barrel for me when they pull my name lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll be happy with that CMC BCG. I was having issues tuning mine to function with an adjustable gas block, would either not lock back or had ejector swipes with no happy middle ground. Swapped in a San Tan Tactical BCG (which looks identical to the CMC one) and all was good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the data point. Looking forward to the build.

FWIW, Craddock email today has two 6 arc uppers available. A 22” and an 11.5”. It’s taking all my will power to not buy that 10.5”!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Ordered a Faxon 12.5” barrel today. The BF sale price was $137 and I have plenty of parts laying around. It will be a good second rifle with the 20” gun.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crwdplsr] [#12]
Just finished mine yesterday

I had a set of Billet Mega upper/lower so why the hell not!!

Mega recievers
18” Proof SS barrel
V6Gamma
CMC 2 stage 2/2 trigger.
Magpul PRS
Seekins rail
Seekins adjustable gas block
JP bolt

Now I just need to get some Optics
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#13]
Originally Posted By crwdplsr:

Mega recievers
18” Proof SS barrel
V6Gamma
CMC 2 stage 2/2 trigger.
Magpul PRS
Seekins rail
JP bolt

View Quote

I can’t wait to hear how it shoots. I guy at our range had a similar build with the Proof Carbon barrel. With the 110 Atip and LR he shot a .164 five shot group. Damn impressive!

Still waiting for both my barrels.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

I can’t wait to hear how it shoots. I guy at our range had a similar build with the Proof Carbon barrel. With the 110 Atip and LR he shot a .164 five shot group. Damn impressive!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

Mega recievers
18” Proof SS barrel
V6Gamma
CMC 2 stage 2/2 trigger.
Magpul PRS
Seekins rail
JP bolt

Thanks!!

Won’t probably shoot until spring……gotta pony up for some good optics.

I have a Mark5 3.6-18 on another rifle I may swap to this rifle
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Faxon 12.5” arc barrel arrived today. Interesting that in the fancy Seekins upper it is loose. In a Wilson upper it is tight. I’ll be building on the Wilson upper. The hand guard is 1.5” too long to allow my can. Tempted to cut it but hate to cut a new one. Can’t wait to assemble this one!
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
It’s not the Bartlien barrel I have been waiting for, but it’ll do for now. I am a fan of having an SBR to accompany any of my longer guns so I built this 12.5” 6Arc. All in with swag parts and no trigger it’s a sub $500 gun.

Before:
Attachment Attached File

After:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#17]
Shot the 12.5” out to 600 this am. Grabbed a cheap scope in an LT QD mount off the shelf and threw it on. First round was 1.5” high 1.5” right at 320 yds. Got lucky. Moved out to 600 and with the cheap 1-6 couldn’t spot splash. Threw a Viper PST in an LT mount on and when back to 320. First round 4moa low, adjust, center punch the target. Out to 600 and first round 1/2 moa low. Next 3 rounds stacked in same spot just off the 6” steel. Adjusted and hit a center punched shot.

I really like this little gun. The 105 black box ammo averaged 2,328 fps which I will take from a shorty.

Edit: I just ran the numbers for the 105 Hornady black box load. It stays super to 1,000 yds out of my 12.5”. That is impressive!
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#18]
Shot my 20” out to 1060yds on IPSC silhouette steel a few days ago.  Proof CF barrels have been phenomenal for me, I really wish they made shorter large frame 6.5C options.

Also working on my 14.5” 6 ARC (Proof barrel as well), just waiting on a different optic at this point, decided I liked the Mark 5HD over the ATACR.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Shot my 20” out to 1060yds on IPSC silhouette steel a few days ago.  Proof CF barrels have been phenomenal for me, I really wish they made shorter large frame 6.5C options.

Also working on my 14.5” 6 ARC (Proof barrel as well), just waiting on a different optic at this point, decided I liked the Mark 5HD over the ATACR.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/602882D9-995A-43A8-B3DF-214BA0A638A7_jpe-3055630.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/758CD14B-AF14-495E-BC1C-698542DD00E2_jpe-3055631.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/294984/AE9C1E36-465C-4C87-9FAC-7E4134DD63AC_jpe-3055632.JPG
View Quote

One of the guys at our range has an 18” proof barrel on his Arc. It was shooting incredible groups. Best he showed me was something like .168 moa 5 shot group. Really good!
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#20]
The Craddock Bartlein has arrived! Let the fun begin!
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#21]

You’re going to love that build!

108’s have done well, but the Hornady 105 hpbt and 107smk’s were a bit easier to tune in my 22” Craddock Bartlein.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

You’re going to love that build!

108’s have done well, but the Hornady 105 hpbt and 107smk’s were a bit easier to tune in my 22” Craddock Bartlein.
View Quote

I think it will be perfect for my purpose. I just got home and measured two 107’s to the lands and my tool snapped off at the threads. Doh! The barrel extension is very tight in the mega upper. Gets less than 1/4” in and stops. I’ll pick up some dry ice for installation. The crown and chamber are beautiful. I suspect with the +2 system the agb won’t be needed.

I am going to try the 107 smk’s, 105 Berger target’s and the 112 match burners. This will be fun!
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:39:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#23]
The build is complete:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Spec:

Mega upper and hand guard
Craddock cut 20” Bartlien 5R 1-7.25
Superlative arms adj gas block +2” system
CMC bcg with headspaced bolt from Craddock
LaRue lower
MBT trigger
PRS Lite stock
LaRue mount
Viper gen 1 5-25
Q Full Nelson

I can’t shoot it right now but soon…
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#24]
You're killing me.
I told myself I would slowly accumulate the pieces to a 6ARC upper and use a lower I already have as a base.
"Slowly" turned into a month.
"Just an upper" turned into a Wilson Combat Billet matched set and a drop in trigger.
Oh, and Leupold Mark 4.

Just have to decide on a barrel.

Oh, I bought Forster dies and 100 rounds of Hornady 108 grain ammo (for the brass).

Old school subscribed!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By utahman:
You're killing me.
I told myself I would slowly accumulate the pieces to a 6ARC upper and use a lower I already have as a base.
"Slowly" turned into a month.
"Just an upper" turned into a Wilson Combat Billet matched set and a drop in trigger.
Oh, and Leupold Mark 4.

Just have to decide on a barrel.

Oh, I bought Forster dies and 100 rounds of Hornady 108 grain ammo (for the brass).

Old school subscribed!!
View Quote

This was a slow accumulation of parts. Started Black Friday a year ago. I was trying to keep it as an accurate budget build. Well I nailed the accurate part, I hope. The Mega upper combo was really nice to build on. Had to use dry ice to get the extension to go in. Fit and finish of the upper is excellent!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally got some shooting in. Still learning to shoot with one good arm and 1/2 an arm post surgery.

First groups:
108 eldm factory(I felt pretty loose on this group)
Attachment Attached File

105 bthp factory
Attachment Attached File

I noticed a couple groups would stack 3 in one hole so focused on building a solid base for the last group. It paid off as seen above. Can’t wait to see what it’ll do with my handloads.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Outstanding results on a fresh barrel!

Don’t be afraid to fire 2-3 foulers when swapping between the two factory loads if you’re not already doing so. Mine has shown that it takes a few rds to settle in when swapping.

Not always as pronounced, but when it’s grouping well, it tends to be more apparent.

Looking forward to more results.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Outstanding results on a fresh barrel!

Don’t be afraid to fire 2-3 foulers when swapping between the two factory loads if you’re not already doing so. Mine has shown that it takes a few rds to settle in when swapping.

Not always as pronounced, but when it’s grouping well, it tends to be more apparent.
https://i.imgur.com/GbTm3Dh.jpeg

Looking forward to more results.
View Quote

I will definitely pay attention when changing loads. My biggest issue right now is my left arm. It only works from the elbow to the hand and is weak at that. It requires a lot to build a solid platform to shoot from. My endurance is way low right now.

I can’t wait to tailor some loads for this one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, my barrel is on the way.
It's a VSeven 20" rifle +, polygonal, 1:7 twist. I've heard good things about this barrel and I'm pretty pumped.

Still need a scope mount. 30mm cantilever. Looking at the Larue, that's a known commodity.
Any experience with the Vortex or Aero Precision?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, my barrel is on the way.
It's a VSeven 20" rifle +, polygonal, 1:7 twist. I've heard good things about this barrel and I'm pretty pumped.

Still need a scope mount. 30mm cantilever. Looking at the Larue, that's a known commodity.
Any experience with the Vortex or Aero Precision?
View Quote

I run all LaRue’s but I installed an aero mount on a friends rig and it works fine. I have enough uppers that I move scopes and red dots around fairly regularly. The LaRue’s make that very easy. As a matter of fact I only have one upper that the aim point changes significantly. Most are 1-2” off at 100 when I move them. So for a fixed mount the aero I mounted worked great. For a transferable mount I would save up and get the LaRue.

I need to look up VSeven.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Up to 60 rounds of factory down the tube. Last session saw some promising results with the 108 eldm load. First 3 rounds go into one hole and then I have a flier or two. One of the flier I called but the others were a mystery. Could be me or I am wondering if it could be a magazine issue. I’m using 10 round elanders.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Got out to foul the bore before tomorrow’s shoot. No ccb shift. Also loaded 8 rounds instead of 5. Seams to help.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#33]
108 eldm factory. 600 yds fighting suppressor mirage and swirling wind. I’m happy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are considering an ARC, based on my sample of 1, I wouldn’t hesitate to order a Craddock Bartlien barrel. This one is consistently stacking them. I’m very happy with it.

I am trying to decide on my next barrel and I know it will be a Craddock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope you don’t mind me adding to your thread.
I got my 6 arc done today:
Attachment Attached File

I got slowed down a little because I decided to learn to Cerakote. That turned out to be not so hard. I mean after I bought the sand blast cabinet and the spray gun and the Cerakote.
Anyway-
VSeven 20” barrel
Seekins handguard
Rise 535 trigger
Superlative Adj. gas block
Q cherry bomb ‘cause that’s my suppressor mount.
Leupold 8.5-25 in the Larue SPR I had.

I hope she shoots
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:21:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#36]
I hope you don’t mind me adding to your thread.
I got my 6 arc done today:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8021/IMG_4880_jpeg-3173142.JPG

I got slowed down a little because I decided to learn to Cerakote. That turned out to be not so hard. I mean after I bought the sand blast cabinet and the spray gun and the Cerakote.
Anyway-
VSeven 20” barrel
Seekins handguard
Rise 535 trigger
Superlative Adj. gas block
Q cherry bomb ‘cause that’s my suppressor mount.
Leupold 8.5-25 in the Larue SPR I had.

I hope she shoots
View Quote

Absolutely. I was hoping some others would start contributing. I know what it’s like searching for info and the more I can find in one place the better.

Let us know what works for you, doesn’t work for you and your thoughts.

So far my impression is this is very easy and a smooth shooting rifle. It is also showing signs of being as accurate, or more, than my Gap. That will be saying something.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:39:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Took the 6Arc out to the field today. The 87 vmax at 2,943 sends them flying! Went 15/18 on diggers out to 350 yards. Three shots at/beyond 300 and every one connected. My dope is right on for this rifle.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: crwdplsr] [#38]
All depends on budget

My build:

Mega Recievers
Proof Research SS 18” barrel
Seekins rail
CMC trigger 2 stage 2/2
Magpul PRS
JP bolt and carrier

Edit.  Forgot I already posted in this thread.  Lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#39]
All depends on budget

My build:

Mega Recievers
Proof Research SS 18” barrel
Seekins rail
CMC trigger 2 stage 2/2
Magpul PRS
JP bolt and carrier

Edit.  Forgot I already posted in this thread.  Lol
View Quote

How is it running? Accuracy where you expected? Would you change anything?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I got out this week to try and sight in and do some break in of the barrel.
I think it shows some promise-
Attachment Attached File

I was using the lead sled as a rest to boresight and repeatedly clean the bore.
The lead sled doesn't fit an AR very well, so I was fighting it a lot, resulting in a lot of groups like this one with a random flyer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:32:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#41]
I got out this week to try and sight in and do some break in of the barrel.
I think it shows some promise-
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8021/IMG_F52CA37036D5-1_jpeg-3199474.JPG
I was using the lead sled as a rest to boresight and repeatedly clean the bore.
The lead sled doesn't fit an AR very well, so I was fighting it a lot, resulting in a lot of groups like this one with a random flyer.
View Quote

I am 98% certain I nailed my random fliers, usually last 1-2, down to my magazines. I have been using elander 10 round magazines. Gun would put 3 in one hole then throw 2 high right. To test I loaded 7 rounds and shot 5. No fliers. I have since bought two other mfg mags to test. Today we will be shooting 600 and 1,000. Not the best for testing but I’ll circle back to the magazine test later.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#42]
Shot the 6 Arc at 600 & 1,000 today. Very happy. The 1,0000 group was bigger than needed because I was adjusting to walk it into the dot. Still darn good given a 5-8mph full value wind.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bzugger] [#43]
Anyone know where a noveske 6mm arc barrel is in stock?

Edit...nvm. was looking fir a 14.5. Ended up with a 12.5
Top Top