Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2024 4:19:54 PM EDT
- Viper HST 4-16x44
- Viper PST 3-15x44 (gen 2)

I have both scopes. I only need one. Looking to sell the one I end up not choosing. The application is for hunting and long range fun. The scope is for my Tikka T3x in 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't know which to choose. The HST is light, slim, simple, your basic MOA hash-marked reticle [ . . . ] The PST has an EBR-4 reticle that illuminates. I like the no-frills simplicity of the HST that has always done me well, but I like the clarity of glass and illumination feature of the PST.

Anyway, thoughts on what you would choose and why or how you would approach this? PS: I do not have the funds or desire to buy some other brand at the moment. My resolution this year is to control my spending and be content with what I have.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I like illumination for hunting.  Go with the illuminated reticle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
I like illumination for hunting.  Go with the illuminated reticle.
View Quote

That's just it. The glass, view, and reticle are better on the PST. I like the slimness, however, of the HST and the feel of its turrets too; very audible. Man, I keep going back and forth. Thanks for your feedback. I do appreciate it. I hope others will chime in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell both… get a VX-5HD 3-15x
https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-VX-5HD-3-15x44mm-CDS-ZL2-FireDot-Duplex-Scope-Showroom-Demo-172368.aspx

Way better HD glass, daylight bright center dot, lighter, better fit and finish, nice locking turrets for dialing. Made in USA using Japanese glass.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Sell both… get a VX-5HD 3-15x
https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-VX-5HD-3-15x44mm-CDS-ZL2-FireDot-Duplex-Scope-Showroom-Demo-172368.aspx

Way better HD glass, daylight bright center dot, lighter, better fit and finish, nice locking turrets for dialing. Made in USA using Japanese glass.

View Quote

The whole China vs USA doesn't bother me. I've experienced my fair share of US-made companies having subpar customer service and no-better-than equipment, and I think a lot rely on the "Made in USA" moniker for their higher pricing. I've looked at Leupold though and their optics are awesome, but I like reticles that help me measure distance in real-time and help with holdovers. Leupold does sell those options but for a cost I'm not willing to pay at the moment -- I do like the VX3-hd lineup. We'll see. Sorry, I feel like I'm bashing your reply. Thank you. I do appreciate it
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
DECISION: I may keep the PST for now because of the reticle and glass quality, but I may fondle a Leupold VX3-HD. They are more affordable than the VX5s and I think would do the job just as well for hunting. If I like it than I'll sell the Vortex scopes. If not, then all is well. Unless anyone begs to differ?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:14:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#6]
I sold my two HST scopes.
1) because they were SFP MOA and I switched everything to FFP MRAD
2) because the “zero stop” sucked.  Using those shims is BS in a modern scope

(In addition to the glass upgrade etc)

I replaced them with PST Gen2 5-25 FFP scopes, and I have been very happy with them. Nice glass, easy to use zero stop, illuminated, etc… The only thing I wish the PST gen2 had, is locking turrets.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TROB:
I sold my two HST scopes.
1) because they were SFP MOA and I switched everything to FFP MRAD
2) because the “zero stop” sucked.  Using those shims is BS in a modern scope

(In addition to the glass upgrade etc)

I replaced them with PST Gen2 5-25 FFP scopes, and I have been very happy with them. Nice glass, easy to use zero stop, illuminated, etc… The only thing I wish the PST gen2 had, is locking turrets.
View Quote

Me too! Locking turrets or a capped windage. It’d be nice to only have to worry about elevation getting bumped on the way to the tree stand.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:33:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By glassman87:
DECISION: I may keep the PST for now because of the reticle and glass quality, but I may fondle a Leupold VX3-HD. They are more affordable than the VX5s and I think would do the job just as well for hunting. If I like it than I'll sell the Vortex scopes. If not, then all is well. Unless anyone begs to differ?
View Quote
I have a 3.5X10X50 firedot and love it. That being said, that reticle has no hash marks but you get a free CDS(name?) to adjust your range. Send them your ballistics and they make your turret cap customized.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe the HST has a much narrower eyebox than the PST.  Keep the PST
Top Top