Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2024 11:21:46 PM EDT
I destroyed my Lee hand priming tool. I was always unimpressed with it, lots of flimsy plastic. The new one they make looks even more fragile.

What should I replace it with that will last a long time? It would be good if I can use the shell holders I already have.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont know but its not the RCBS universal one. It sucks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 1:30:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArchInfidel] [#3]
Other than the square shape causing feeding problems that require you to shake the think every 5 rounds I kind of love the RCBS universal and not having to use a shell holder.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:14:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FZJ80] [#5]
Hand Priming Tool

I’ve used this one for many years.  Works well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an old RCBP priming tool that's worked well for decades.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
Bench mounted or hand held?

A bench mounted tool will be much easier on your hands.
View Quote

Hand. I can do it on the bench, but often prefer to do it by hand. Especially when using the single stage press for larger calibers.

Originally Posted By FZJ80:
Hand Priming Tool

View Quote

For that price, I hope it's the best and lasts a long time. I almost got one, but am hesitant, because if I understand it right, there's no reservoir of primers. You just feed them in one at a time. Seems kind of a step down in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Hand. I can do it on the bench, but often prefer to do it by hand. Especially when using the single stage press for larger calibers.

For that price, I hope it's the best and lasts a long time. I almost got one, but am hesitant, because if I understand it right, there's no reservoir of primers. You just feed them in one at a time. Seems kind of a step down in that regard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By FZJ80:
Hand Priming Tool

I had a thread about this same subject a few weeks ago.  Anyway, I bought a frankfort arsenal hand primer.  Built like a tank, comes with shell holders, seems to work well so far.  I haven’t had it very long, but so far, so good.  Very positive seating.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:31:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ArchInfidel:
Other than the square shape causing feeding problems that require you to shake the think every 5 rounds I kind of love the RCBS universal and not having to use a shell holder.
View Quote

How old is yours?

Do the plastic primer reservoirs seem pretty durable?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I think Sinclair is the best

K&M is works well but I like Sinclair better
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By IndyGrendel63:

I had a thread about this same subject a few weeks ago.  Anyway, I bought a frankfort arsenal hand primer.  Built like a tank, comes with shell holders, seems to work well so far.  I haven’t had it very long, but so far, so good.  Very positive seating.
View Quote

Plus you  can adjust your seating depth and comes with a bunch of shell holders
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]

How old is yours?

Do the plastic primer reservoirs seem pretty durable?
View Quote

I have an old Lee from the late 80's and another from the early 2000's.  Both have plastic primer trays.  No complaints about either of them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I have multiple Lee and RCBS - they've always worked fine for me, for many years.

AFAIK, Brownells killed most of the Sinclair line after buying it (then why buy???).   I didn't see a Sinclair seater in a Brownells search, but I did see this:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-tools/priming-tools/platinum-series-perfect-seat-hand-primer/
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Lee. They do wear out from hard use but used ones are cheap for replacement or parts. .

RCBS is nice for odd calibres and such since  they use regular shell holders. Not as smooth and not the seating feel of the Lee.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
I have multiple Lee and RCBS - they've always worked fine for me, for many years.

AFAIK, Brownells killed most of the Sinclair line after buying it (then why buy???).   I didn't see a Sinclair seater in a Brownells search, but I did see this:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-tools/priming-tools/platinum-series-perfect-seat-hand-primer/
View Quote

Not true at all!
Here is the Sinclair Tool
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#16]
The Sinclair primer is the best hand priming tool on the commercial market.  It seats primers more than five times more consistently than the bench mounted Primal Rights primer tool.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:05:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#17]

View Quote

I was going to say this.   I saw all the complaints on the later handhelds not being as good as their predecessors.   I bought the RCBS bench mounted tool.  No regrets.

I could not stomach the price of the bench rester favorite brands of the hand type that need you to put each primer in one by one.   The two factors together just didn’t appeal to me.   Well crafted devices that they are, I am not paying close to $200 for a hand primer with no feed system.

Just my two bits.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Molon:
The Sinclair primer is the best hand priming tool on the commercial market.  It seats primers more than five times more consistently than the bench mounted Primal Rights primer tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/primer_seater_comparison_table_by_Bryan_-3172632.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/sinclair_primer_tool_resized_001-3172663.jpg

View Quote

It makes me smile to see Lee’s product performance leading them.    They’re what $70-80 dollars?  Good job Richard Lee.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

It makes me smile to see Lee’s product performance leading them.    They’re what $70-80 dollars?  
View Quote

The Lee ACP is not a hand priming tool; it's bench mounted and unfortunately it has been discontinued.  It also requires some modification for serious use.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:26:53 AM EDT
[#20]
The simple RCBS hand primer with the round flat green reversible (small and large primer gates) tray works fine for me.  It uses standard shell holders.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I have arthritis, there are no good hand priming tools.

I use RCBS's bench mounted priming system and can't say enough good things about it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I've got the old school Lee Hand Priming tool, like the one pictured below.  And I love it so much I have another NIB on the shelf in case this one breaks as Lee has discontinued it.
I also had an RCBS Universal and it totally sucked.  I think I tried a Hornady or some other brand in the past too, but I keep coming back to the Lee.
Attachment Attached File
Top Top