Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2022 11:35:00 AM EDT
I've been looking into longer range shooting for a bit now and I've had some rifles but nothing to write home about. I've got a budget of $1000 bucks for the rifle and I'm looking for something in .308 because it's very plentiful in my area. What guns should I be looking into? I was looking at Howa barreled actions but they are now gone.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I got a friend with a Bergara HMR and it's pretty nice. I got a line on a savage BA10 stealth I'm going to look into and see if I can get it for a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Does that budget include scope?

And have you factored in ammo, and a target?
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Bergara HMR, Tikka or Savage would be places to look.
View Quote

This. I started with a tikka/ PST 5x25 and threw a KRG Bravo cassis on it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Shinobi15:
Does that budget include scope?

And have you factored in ammo, and a target?
View Quote

It does not include scope and ammo and I got plenty of targets.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:59:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie_Gunner] [#6]
Hard to beat a Savage 110 Tactical...

I'd suggest the 24" .308.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57006

ETA: I put mine in a bell and carlson stock and bedded the front lug.  It is stupid accurate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:
Hard to beat a Savage 110 Tactical...

I'd suggest the 24" .308.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57006

ETA: I put mine in a bell and carlson stock and bedded the front lug.  It is stupid accurate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55187/IMG_6777_jpg-2617086.JPG
View Quote

Looks great I love that stock
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Savage 110 tactical was affordable and is really accurate.
Spend some dough on the glass and you will not be disappointed.
Bergara's are nice also; but cost more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 6:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#9]
Long Range Shooting for RBscorpionking

0.  Be sure you have convenient access to a long distance range.  
         Maybe this goes without saying, but multi-hour drives get to be a drag, fast.

1.  Buy a Shot Marker target (a single shooter system is all you need).  
         At 600+ yards, it is impossible to see you hits on the target.  Shot Marker removes that limitation.  
         It also means you can practice solo, if a buddy cannot go.
         Shot Marker tells you your velocity at the target.

2.  If you are going to do this, buy the best freakin' rifle you possibly afford, paying special attention getting a great barrel (Krieger,... or whatever) properly chambered and installed.

3.  Make good ammo.
         Load test at short range but prove it at 600, then 800-1,000 yards.  
         You have to stay supersonic (with margin) all the way to the target (short-barreled 308's beware).

4.  Go have some fun!
         You will learn more on one windy day than "a month" of calm Sundays.

P.S. - I  could be completely wrong about all of the above, except item 4.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The suggestion of a Bergara is one I will second. I have been very happy with mine.

If you decide to go Bergara, get a different rail than the one from Bergara. It does not have the stop milled into from what I've read. They may have changed it. I went Badger on mine.

Bipod rail can be had from Atlas. It works well, I removed the front sling stud and got cap head machine screws from local shop. Removing the sling studs didn't really concern me as the rifle has multiple QD cups.

The one thing I have changed on mine was the trigger. The stock Bergara isn't bad, but I prefer 2 stage triggers. That's installed and dialed in.

Good luck and keep us posted on your choice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I jumped into precision rifle club matches late last year.

I went with a Tikka t3 308. Factory trigger with a mountain tactical spring and it's a steady 1lb 4oz break with no take up.  

Got a keg bravo on Black Friday sale, same for a few MDT mags.  Amazon arca rail, and mdt grnd pod.  Using an arken scope for now. It's not premium, but it's also not holding me back. I expect to upgrade it at some point.

Tikka is a tack driver, far more accurate than I can shoot it.  I spent some money on steel as well for practice.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I work in education so minimal money to spend, I spent just about $1k total on a Savage 12fv in 223 from BassPro (it comes in 308 and 6.5cm too), a Mueller 8-32x44 scope w/ 1/8moa dot and fine cross hairs, target turrets etc (same scope can also have mildots), a single shot sled (the 12fv blind mag sucks), and a single stage reloading set up.

I think for precision and/or distance shooting the second thing you should do after getting your rifle is to get set up to reload for it.   While I was building my brass stash (my ARs are 762x39) I tried 5-6 different brands and loads of generally quality ammo - PMC, Hornady, etc.  They all averaged 1.5-2moa.   My first batch of reloads just at published starting levels gave me consistent .75-1moa groups when I kept my end of the bargain up (had a LOT of vertical stringing due to 22lr habits, still working on it).  You won't really save money over factory ammo overall but you'll be shooting more and with higher quality ammo at a fraction of the per-round price of factory.

Top Top