User Panel

White Oak SPR (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Erik72:
I realize your loading 77gr for the 600yd line but you might try some lighter bullets like the 60gr V-max (flat base) or 63gr SMP from Sierra (also flat base).  I've had excellent results with the Sierra Game King bullet too.  It's a 65 gr spitzer boat tail.  What twist rate is your barrel?  I've tried and tried to get my 1:8 twist barrels to shoot the 77gr bullets well but I've found better success with the lighter bullets.  That's just my experience.  I've got a 20" WOA 1:7 twist barrel now so I may go down that road again.
View Quote

Iirc this one is also 1/7. I am also working on lighter bullets and they are showing great promise. Your recommendation has been echoed by a couple here. You are likely onto something. Fwiw, the 60 vmax is one of my favorite bullets for diggers.

But since I have a lot of 77’s I am hoping to find the sweet spot for them. If not I’ll switch gears.

Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
23.6 Tac under 69 smk seating depth test, all 5 shot groups. Interesting enough charge weight is lower than my 77 gr load. I may try to push this faster if accuracy doesn’t go to shit.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Regardless of whether this gun will be a 1/2” target gun from a bench or not, it is now one of my favorites. I just finished my second field session shooting ground squirrels in one of our company orchards. When they built this gun they added some kind of black magic because it is exceptional in the field. So far I am averaging over 50% on some pretty tough targets. Today I went 10/18 confirmed with a couple probables that made it to the burrows.

Love this gun with 50 & 53 gr vmax!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Preparing for our August rifle shoot with the WOA. Shot 77 Scenar’s and 53 vmax out to 600 yards this am. The gun has a definite preference for the 53 vmax’s. The extra speed keeps it surprisingly flat even at 600. The more I shoot this gun the more I like it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
How was the wind?
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Another 18” WOA spr profile owner here.  Mine has been great.  Glad you’re enjoying yours too!
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 9:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#7]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
How was the wind?
View Quote

1-3 mph so not much effect. The range we shoot 3gun on usually doesn’t have any wind. I will keep testing and building my dope. No doubt I’ll have some decent wind in the near future to test in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Best group yet with the woa. This was 100yds with 53 vmax over 25.8 Tac with cci 400’s a .438 moa. Brass was 4x Winchester. The 77 Scenar load is nothing to write home about. I have some 52 eldm’s and 69 smk’s yet to finish work ups. Took this load out for squirrels this evening and it produced results!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:
Best group yet with the woa. This was 100yds with 53 vmax over 25.8 Tac with cci 400’s a .438 moa. Brass was 4x Winchester. The 77 Scenar load is nothing to write home about. I have some 52 eldm’s and 69 smk’s yet to finish work ups. Took this load out for squirrels this evening and it produced results!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/IMG_1779_jpeg-2932217.JPG
View Quote

Was there anything left to eat?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Was there anything left to eat?
View Quote

Plague ridden ground squirrel. The goal is to evaporate them so the can’t spread it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Plague ridden ground squirrel. The goal is to evaporate them so the can’t spread it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher: Was there anything left to eat?

Ahh.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The 52gr eldm’s seated 2.255, 1.86” ogl, over 24.2 H335 with Fed 205’s shot a .68” 5 round group. Definitely a decent load but only running 2,860 fps. The faster loads fell apart on the accuracy side. But to be fair my expectations for accuracy are perhaps a little high. My goal is a load that will break .75 moa occasionally and 1 moa regularly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:43:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#13]
Found a large colony of ground squirrels stripping our pear trees. Parked the Jeep in the shade of a tree and sat and waited. My setup for this type of damage control is to put the windshield down and suspend the WOA from boat straps. The vfg allows me to anchor against the steering wheel for extra support. Today over the course of 2 hours sitting in one spot I went through 50 rounds of Black Hills 50gr vmax load. I normally use my 53gr vmax handloads but due to last months competition I was low on inventory. This Black Hills load was very accurate and produced a lot of hits including a 290yd shot on a young one. In the picture below the top of the road is 900 yds. I also got 6 squirrels by the closest smudge pots. Too close to even focus but with magnification backed off and holding -8moa I got it done.

I have to say, the only rifle I have owned that could match this one would be my 16” LaRue Predatobr. (I will replace that gun one day!) So, if you need a 16” spr for comps or depredation work this WOA is a solid bet. I highly recommend it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Found a large colony of ground squirrels stripping our pear trees. Parked the Jeep in the shade of a tree and sat and waited. My setup for this type of damage control is to put the windshield down and suspend the WOA from boat straps. The vfg allows me to anchor against the steering wheel for extra support. Today over the course of 2 hours sitting in one spot I went through 50 rounds of Black Hills 50gr vmax load. I normally use my 53gr vmax handloads but due to last months competition I was low on inventory. This Black Hills load was very accurate and produced a lot of hits including a 290yd shot on a young one. In the picture below the top of the road is 900 yds. I also got 6 squirrels by the closest smudge pots. Too close to even focus but with magnification backed off and holding -8moa I got it done.

I have to say, the only rifle I have owned that could match this one would be my 16” LaRue Predatobr. (I will replace that gun one day!) So, if you need a 16” spr for comps or depredation work this WOA is a solid bet. I highly recommend it!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/IMG_1819_jpeg-2949428.JPG
View Quote

Now that is a mobile blind. Sounds like a great way to spend some time eradicating pests.🤠
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
18" Predator upper showed up yesterday.  Hope to sight it in soon.  Fit, finish are good and it is much lighter weight than the 20" DPMS heavy barrel I had.  Came with an XL t shirt and a rubber deflector for empties.  Still waiting on suppressor to get out of jail.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#16]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152968/IMG_1819_jpeg-2949428.JPG
View Quote

Heck yes, that’s what it’s all about!
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
18" Predator upper showed up yesterday.  Hope to sight it in soon.  Fit, finish are good and it is much lighter weight than the 20" DPMS heavy barrel I had.  Came with an XL t shirt and a rubber deflector for empties.  Still waiting on suppressor to get out of jail.
View Quote

Excellent! The 52 & 53 gr loads I have developed have been solid. The 69smk load was good but I think I need to try a different powder. Still working on 77’s. Good but not great, yet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

Heck yes, that’s what it’s all about!
View Quote

Was pretty darn fun and much needed. Next outing I need to bring a 22 for those 10yd shots.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Just ordered a 18" rifle gas WOA barrel for a build.  Is there any need for an adjustable gas block on these?  It was needed on my Grendel and Creedmoor but can't see why I would need one here...  Any feedback?
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 3one5:  Just ordered a 18" rifle gas WOA barrel for a build.  Is there any need for an adjustable gas block on these?  It was needed on my Grendel and Creedmoor but can't see why I would need one here...  Any feedback?
View Quote

Unless you're going for absolute reliability, fixed irons, or a bayonet mount, other than cost, an adjustable gas block won't hurt.  Worst case, you screw it all the way open & leave it there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Unless you're going for absolute reliability, fixed irons, or a bayonet mount, other than cost, an adjustable gas block won't hurt.  Worst case, you screw it all the way open & leave it there.
View Quote

Another Superlative Arms gas block it is!
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

Another Superlative Arms gas block it is!
View Quote

I probably shout run a can on mine. But the M4 comp is so darn good for competition shooting it’s crazy. I just need to order another one to suppress.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#23]

I probably shout run a can on mine. But the M4 comp is so darn good for competition shooting it’s crazy. I just need to order another one to suppress.
View Quote

I'll most likely put a Surefire SOCOM brake on this one, just like my other precision rifles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 5:29:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#24]

Excellent! The 52 & 53 gr loads I have developed have been solid. The 69smk load was good but I think I need to try a different powder. Still working on 77’s. Good but not great, yet.
View Quote

69smk loves Accurate 2495 going through my WOA
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m looking at some kind of precision upper. White Oak 16” SPR or their lightest weight 3 gun, or a Centurion Recce.

Any input on how these compare?
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By grizzlyblake:
I’m looking at some kind of precision upper. White Oak 16” SPR or their lightest weight 3 gun, or a Centurion Recce.

Any input on how these compare?
View Quote

Not familiar with the 3rd but I would buy my WOA again. Not sure how the weight compares but could weight it when I get home. Mine is the SPR.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Any specific BCG recommendations to use with this barrel?  Tempted to just go with the standard Toolcraft.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Devilfox] [#28]
I ordered up their 24" heavy barrel varmint upper in 2012. It has been amazingly accurate with a variety of loads. It shoots the 77gr IMI razorcore very well, and the Federal 69gr match stuff pretty good as well. All sub MOA if I do my part.

As for handloads, it really liked 60gr VMAX over 23.5gr of H335 in lake city brass.

It is a heavy sonovabitch though. Something to carry in the truck while you drive around looking for coyotes in fields, or set in a blind calling them in. Best for punching paper though.

ETA: it is .223 Wylde chamber
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#29]
So just pulled the gasblock to open up the vented set screw. It is really close to .093 (3/32) for the intermediate gas length. My vented set screw is .049 so going to open it up to .060 and see how it does. This was Turbo K suppressed with decent speed handloads. Looking to make it run on an H buffer and flat wire spring with minimal gas to face. Mine is the 18" intermediate gas length midweight 3 gun barrel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Any specific BCG recommendations to use with this barrel?  Tempted to just go with the standard Toolcraft.
View Quote

Mine, complete upper, came with one. I have had good luck running toolcraft over multiple different guns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 9:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3one5] [#31]
Rail and other parts were set to be delivered today. I gathered up the tools and got the upper mounted in the vice in anticipation. Delayed! Boo USPS boo FedEx! Guess I’ll do it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Rail and other parts were set to be delivered today. I gathered up the tools and got the upper mounted in the vice in anticipation. Delayed! Boo USPS boo FedEx! Guess I’ll do it tomorrow.
View Quote

I feel your pain. I’m waiting on a Bartlien barrel…
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I really just need a trigger now.  I'll probably toss an ambi safety and charging handle on it eventually.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I really just need a trigger now.  I'll probably toss an ambi safety and charging handle on it eventually.

https://i.imgur.com/iYlkpMw.jpg
View Quote

Nice! I need to try my can on mine. Tough to pull the brake off when it works so well!
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#35]
At our 600 yd shoot we have a little friendly challenge. We have 5” plates at 320, 480 and 600. The challenge is 3 rounds to hit one plate @ each range. Sounds easy? Not as easy as you would think. The targets are spread across the range and wind on one side is sometimes very different than the other. Last weekend I couldn’t hit 3 in a row with my very accurate Gap. So I grabbed the WOA to give it a run. I hit one, two and three with a witness. The funny thing was the third, at 600, hit was on the plate next to the plate I was aiming at. Wind definitely got me on that one but a hit is a hit… not bad for my running and gunning gun!
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

That will be fine. I used a regular Bushmaster BCG. Fucker is sub MOA no problem.

I don't really know what a specialized BCG could do more.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

69smk loves Accurate 2495 going through my WOA
View Quote

My 18” 1:9 (special order for heavier and longer) loves 69’s SMK with AR Comp or Varget. More often than not, all holes touching at shorter ranges like 100 yards. Obscene accuracy out of all of my WOA. I can not recommend them enough. I have not often said this as they are wicked accurate and fairly priced. If everyone finds out, I fear higher prices.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
White Oak SPR (Page 2 of 2)
Top Top