Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2018 3:50:50 PM EDT
I said to myself I'd take a couple classes this year. Got signed up at a local range, owner and instructor are both prior mil SF. I shoot there often and I feel my individual skill level is pretty good. The course is a half day range-only 2 gun operator (rifle/pistol) and I'm kinda nervous. I have a 16 in AR15 and a 10.5 in sbr with a g19. I have a carrier with a good setup. Anything to expect? Will I feel like a total newb? Share your exp's please.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Go, have fun, learn something.  I was a bit timid in my first class, but after you get started you'll pickup skills you didn't know and fix mistakes you make now but don't realize.  Also it's a great way to find out what gear works for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bryan_Aim] [#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Appreciate the input. Like I said It's a short half day class. I do have a war belt but i would like to be more comfortable shooting with my carrier.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Read the course descriptions, requirements, and pre-requisites.  Twice.  A few times.  Come to class prepared with whatever they said you'll need.  It should not be much if it is an entry level course, but have everything you'll need so you can get the most out of it.  If you have spare stuff that you can bring without it getting in the way you could, but thats not a real necessity.

You said the instructor is prior SF, if so then they have already told you everything you need to succeed.  Those dudes did some packing and unpacking (and re-packing, and re-re-packing) at selection, and at tons of classes throughout their careers.

The key is learn some things you can take away to practice with until your next class.  Take notes.  Take your phone and if it is allowed have someone record you doing a drill.  It can help you to see things you might not otherwise notice.  You most likely will not be allowed to video instructors teaching, but if you ask them it will probably be ok for you to get filmed for diagnostic purposes.

Enjoy it!  Training can be a blast, but remember to learn something too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Above everything else, make sure you're safe. Don't be that guy who muzzles the rest of the class or does something stupid. I'd far rather take a class with someone who slows the class down than someone who brings the class down by requiring everyone to keep an eye on him to make sure he's not doing something stupid.

Bring whatever gear you're most comfortable with. Don't use a Serpa holster. Bring more ammo than the minimum (nobody ever said "I wish I brought less ammo to this class!")

Bring more magazines than you need. That way if you have to skip a reloading break because you have to fix gear, talk to the instructor, take a leak, or whatever, you're ready to go. If you have a mag lula, bring it.

Bring sun screen, CLP, water, and a gatorade. Light snacks like peanuts or trail mix.

I like to bring a little notepad to write down new drills so I can practice later.

Make sure your guns are lubed and sighted in before you get there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
I have done 5 or so classes and learn something new each time. I would suggest belt pouches instead of a carrier, comfort over two days is key.   Take a ton of mags, that way when other are reloading mags, you can run drills a 2nd time if possible.   Take sunscreen, lots of water, pen and paper to take notes and backup guns if possible.  

Try your gear ahead of time, i bought a war belt for my first class and then found out I was too fat to squat and do some of the drills.    Make sure your gun is sighted in before class, i see too many guys show up and their gun is not able t even hit paper.    
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Read the required gear for the class and make sure you have that.  I would not recommend trying gear for the first time at the class.   You want to be able to focus on what the instructor wants you to work on, not figure out how not to strangle yourself with the new sling you decided to put on the night before.

In the classes I have been to, the guys with the most multicam and extra gear tend to be the most screwed up.  Bring the pouches/kit you are comfortable with.

Zero your rifle, stuff mags the night before (i usually bring 50% more ammo than they tell you to), and focus on performing the drills safely and methodically.  Instructors don't remember the guy who was a little slower than average, they do remember unsafe students.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Go there with an open mind, plenty of water and gatorade.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My $.02 along with other comments from above.

1) Buy the best quality training ammo you can afford
   and test it in all of your guns prior to the class. Take
extra ammo with you and be prepared to use it all, if
it furthers your training effort. You are spending your
money, just to get there. Make the most of it.

2) Make sure every gun you take is functional & zero'd
prior to arrival at the class. If the instructors give time
in class for zeroing weapons, you can chill or work on
other issues that may crop up while others are working
on their guns.

3) If your primary gun stumbles, don't waste class time
    trying to correct it. Grab the next gun & keep moving.

4) Load & take lots of magazines. More than they recommend
   if possible.

5) Relax. Take it all in. Keep an open mind. Enjoy your
    time there.

6) Pre-medicate.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:27:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#11]
I just took my first class this past Saturday so I don’t have much for recommendation. But some things I noticed....

- Bring extra magazines and double the required ammo count. I was able to swap out mags and get back on the line to practice drills while most people were struggling to load their pistol mags.

- Bring a mag loader, it will save your thumbs as well as save time.

- Use guns and gear you are familiar with. Classes are not the time to mess around with new stuff you don’t know functions or not.

- If you have spare guns, bring them. I brought two G19’s in case one had a problem as well as a parts kit to quickly fix. Do the same with rifles.

- Shut up and listen. No one cares what your experience is as long as you’re safe. Listen to the instructors and pay attention to the details.

- Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 5:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LG45] [#12]
I have attended numerus courses over the last 30 years. Both as a civilian and during my law enforcement carrier. For your first course go light, A couple mags on your waist , rifle , a good sling, good ear and eye protection and think about using iron sights only. Don't wear alot of heavy gear but take it with you and leave it in your car. You may have time to talk to the instructor about what is right for you. Learn the techniques he shows you and above all have fun. The advice from others to take your mags preloaded and stay hydrated will help you enjoy the experience more. Have fun, take all the training you can. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Coming back to this post many years later, I appreciate all the input.

Since, I've taken many classes and tried to pass some smal lessons learned to others I've taken to the range. Getting new shooters to actually enjoy shooting and feel like they've learned something has been great. If I could be an instuctor, I totally would.

It's a neverending process to hone the skills you've learned.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
The advice given is still relevant today. Good thread.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Two years ago I took my 17yo son to a Carbine class, it was my 4th time.
He had a great time, learned a lot and did better than many adults in both shooting and safety.
It was a rifle only class, we both used 11.5" ARs with K cans.
Top Top