Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2023 5:02:56 PM EDT
I attended Kinetic Consulting's Weaponized Geometry in Charlotte NC on June 17th and 18th at the A+R Tactics facility. The class was run by owner and head instructor Jon Dufresne AKA Duffy AKA Mocha Bear.

Jon is an amazing human. His unshakably positive and progress-oriented attitude is an inspiration. He is hilarious but doesn't let the humor get in the way of the lesson. He has impactful and relevant stories to share that are undoubtedly sources of strong emotion, yet he remains in control so that it is a training aid rather than simple war stories. "Do Better” is his tagline and he embodies it himself and engenders it in his students through his instruction.

The class was broken down into the following rough sections:

Day 1

Classroom:
Safety brief
Overview of the human brain (high, mid, low) and "operating memory"
Common behaviors when stress is induced and How they can become deadly or how to turn them around
Priorities of life and priorities of work
"Pie" process
Apex-to-apex mindset
Several videos of previous classes where we were given the opportunity to determine natural behaviors on our own then discuss as a class

"Range":
Partner pie-ing
Whiteboard of eye anatomy and detail vs movement detection
2 Individual runs with UTM on paper targets with shoot /no-shoot to be determined by the shooter
Debrief and student feedback

Day 2

Classroom:
Positive vs negative angles
Potential follow ups to your natural responses such as flinch to rectify the situation
Room depth and arcs

"Range":
Individual runs against role players in a simple sequence of rooms
Rapid "Duels" between pairs
Whiteboard of sympathetic versus parasympathetic nervous system and positive versus negative emotions and the "zone of clarity"
Individual runs against role players in a more complex sequence of rooms
Whiteboard of non-linear structures and possible solutions to very challenging layouts
Final set of individual runs against role players in a non-linear room layout
Final debrief and student feedback

Each of the elements of this class was relevant and didn't feel tacked on or added to pad the class length. As someone who is very interested in neuroscience and human performance, it was great to see these concepts incorporated in a way that enhanced the "tactical" lessons that everyone expected to be present. Jon clearly understands that gun stuff is not unique - human biology applies everywhere.

The runs were not "scenarios" - individuals had roles to play but everyone had the same requirements to engage their adversaries - you must positively identify that they have a weapon - that goes for “good guys" as well as "bad guys". In other words, everyone is engaged in self defense. The good guys were required to enter the structure and work each problem as it presented itself in a way that exposed them to as little risk of being shot as possible. Good guys could continue after being shot lethally - but with plenty of lessons with each shot you take. Bad guys were given options within certain bounds in how to engage the good guy, but would die after a lethal (a zone) hit from the good guy. Some were told to retreat after an initial engagement or provide other stimuli to induce stress or uncertainty in the good guy.

During the runs themselves, especially those as "bad guy", I learned more than in any class I have taken. There is no substitute for opposition and the neurological effects of uncertainty and potential threats.

Some front and center learnings for me:
Take and own the territory ASAP
Don't look through sights all the time
See the dot while engaging - don't miss!

In terms of "gear" lessons for the class - I simply wore work pants and reloaded from my pocket with a rashguard for my shirt. I also wore the presscheck pig gloves and a neck gaiter. I have some welts on my forearms that bled and some swollen spots on my fingers, but no injuries that worry me or affected my training. I don't think there is a reason to go full “Michelin man" in this class, so don't let that be a deterrent to you taking this class.

The equipment provided during the class was excellent. UTM slide Glock 17s, two with RMR cut slides, one with OEM iron sights. There were some malfunctions here and there due to the round count, but that is just more stimulus for the runs. The masks provided came in different varieties with more or less protection and students chose what suited their preference.

Some potential feedback for the class:
Previous class student videos to play in the classroom during downtime between runs especially on day 1 when no one but the shooter is active
Consider doing the duels before the first runs on day 2 so that the "own the territory” lesson could be taught sooner

Overall, I am exceptionally grateful for the opportunity to take this class. No number of 2 day pistol or carbine classes can stand in for this type of training. It teaches you about yourself and the reality of this type of fighting. I realized that I do have the tools to perform in this environment - I just need to sharpen them. Thank you to Jon, the other students, and the host for making this possible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
seems like a very necessary class for every gunowner who thinks about home / self defense. Does he offer it with a night vision part too?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It doesn’t seem that there is an exact equivalent with NODs, but he does have a Night Vision CQB class.

https://www.kinetic-consulting.net/product-page/night-vision-cqb
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for this review. I just asked this question and then decided to search “older than 30”.

This was the review I was looking for.  

Top Top