Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2023 1:15:37 AM EDT
Since there aren't many reports on the Pistolseeds, I'll try to put together a report on the one I attended.
The day started with check-in, waivers, paying the range fees and the rest of the organizational stuff.
Next was a safety briefing where the instructors went over the Appleseed safe gun handling protocol. I find it to be a little more cumbersome than most commercial classes I attended but I guess the volunteers don't have the money for the liability BS, and it's not a big deal anyway.
Then, as in the case of the rifle events, the pew-pewing portion started with shooting the pistol version of redcoat target. The targets are tombstone-shaped and correspond to the size of a human silhouette at 44, 60 and 100 yards scaled down to be shot from 7 yards. Instead of the Morgan Shingle there was a "Major Pitcairn's Button" but its significance was never explained. My guess is that it's the size of human head at 50m.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
After everybody got the chance to admire their handiwork on the redcoats, the pistol marksmanship instruction started.
The instructors did a great job going over the pistol version of the steps to make a shot.
Then they went over each step in great detail explaining the nuances of stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control and follow through.
Each theoretical exposition was followed by a drill, either live fire or dry fire to reinforce what was just learned.
After we had some practice with the most basic marksmanship, we moved to the malfunction clearing/anti-flinch drill that utilized snap caps (they have some but better bring your own).
Next, we moved on to one-handed shooting, both strong and weak hand.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Then, not sure about the order, we did magazine changes and target transitions. The day ended with our first attempt at PQT and another go at redcoats.
The second day was more timed drills, some taken directly from PQT, some designed to improve various aspects of marksmanship.
My favorite was the timed drill where we had to shoot multiple progressively larger targets, then progressively smaller which gave us the chance to experience the tradeoffs between accuracy and speed.
Then some more PQTs intermixed with additional drills like transitioning between multiple targets, controlled pairs vs double-taps etc.
And then more PQT attempts and a wrap up with the final redcoat target.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Unlike the rifle events which are sometimes criticized as teaching obsolete technique, the pistol technique taught was modern isosceles and the instruction was very thorough. I picked up some nuances of the stance that I wasn't aware of and they seemed to make an improvement in my shooting.
Things that weren't covered (intentionally) were holster work, tactical reloads, one-handed malfunction clearing, shooting from retention.
The course of fire for the PQT was:
1. 10 shots in 10 sec at the 44yard silhouette with scoring zones similar to the rifle event.
2. Controlled pairs transitioning back and forth between 60 yard silhouettes with a magazine change after round 6 in 10s.
3 and 4. Strong and weak handed shooting at 44 yard target (can't remember, 10 or 15 sec) 5 rounds.
5. Slow fire at 100 yard silhouettes, 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The history on day 1 was the same as the rifle event, "the 3 strikes of the match". On day two they went into some pistol-specific history. Since pistols didn't play any known role in the Revolutionary War, they fast-forwarded approximately 100 years to the times of Samuel Colt and retold some history of the revolver's role in winning the West. Since the revolver bit of history had to do with the state where the event was held, I don't know whether this was the standard content for any Pistolseed or state-specific.
All in all the event exceeded my expectations. If you're like me and think that one is never done refining his fundamentals, this is a great way of doing so relatively inexpensively.
Since the actual distance was 7 yards, despite having poor eyesight which makes it hard for me to use iron sights in the rifle events even with corrective glasses, I had no problem using iron sights here.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
saw this course recently being offered.

interesting, thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the AAR!  Looking forward to doing my first pistol event in June.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The qualification is shot at 44, 60 and 100 yards?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
The qualification is shot at 44, 60 and 100 yards?
View Quote

Actual distance is 7 yards. The targets are scaled down to subtend the same angles the real sized targets would at the respective full distances.
Top Top