Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2023 6:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freedom_Lover]
It's time for my six year old to begin some firearms training.  I guess "begin" isn't quite right as he's been reciting Cooper's 4 universal rules since the time he could speak.

I'm eyeing a Savage Rascal or Henry Mini Bolt 22, but we live in town and I'd like a back yard option as well.  I have a Red Ryder for him (his Grandpa bought it the day he was born), but I'm not sure steel BBs are going to fly...

Checking our city codes it defines "Firearm" as:

-------------
5-2-1: FIREARMS:
  A.   Definitions:
   FIREARMS: Any instrument used in the propulsion of shot, shell or bullets, or other harmful objects, by the action of gunpowder within it, or by the action of compressed air within it, or by the power of springs and including what are commonly known as air guns or BB guns. (Ord. 32, 2-5-1968)
-------------

So, it seems I need to find projectiles that are not "harmful."  I see there are plastic airsoft style BBs available in .177/4.5mm.  Does anybody have experience with these in a regular BB gun?  

Or maybe I should just pick up an actual airsoft gun.  Does anyone have a recommendation?  

For starting out I'd prefer something more hunting rifle styled than door kicking styled.  The other thing is it needs to be accurate enough for him to actually learn with and have good technique rewarded with a hit.  I'd say needs to hit a pop can 100% of the time at 30 feet.  Do airsoft guns do this?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

ETA: I'm sure the obvious answer is "screw the city codes just do it anyway," but it seems counter productive to begin responsible firearm handling instruction with knowingly breaking a law...
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Airsoft, because full auto is fun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I've run BB guns, pellet guns, and airsoft.

My recommendation is airsoft.  They are quieter and ammo is cheaper.  Airsoft also has wide acceptance.  You can get replicas of actual firearms.

I find kids absolutely love Airsoft AEG rifles.  

The key is to let them have fun.  Teach them safety, fundamentals of marksmanship, gun handling, and firearm familiarization on top of that base of having fun.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My 7 year old loves 40 yard shots at a shoot and see target with a piston/spring sniper rifle.
Top Top