Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2023 1:12:43 PM EDT
I'm considering the BlackbeardX and have read great things about the hardware, but the software seems to be the weak point. Reading through the reviews of the software in Apple's app store, there are comments referring to the app crashing, "plagued with problems", etc. However, most of the reviews are years old. Has there been improvement in the stability of the app? Overall the app gets a 4.4 out of 5 stars, not bad, but I'm looking at dropping $320 for the hardware, so I'd like to be confident in the overall benefits of the entire system, not just the hardware.  One other question please; what is the difference between the basic Mantis X app and the Laser Academy? Is the Laser Academy required for use with the BlackbeardX? Thank you for any input.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the Mantis X and BlackbeardX are dry fire, train at home systems for your handgun and AR. I actually decided against purchasing it after finally finding detailed information on exactly how the system works.  

Now your idea has SERIOUSLY peaked my interest. I googled the Glock airsoft and those things look FUN! lol  My research begins anew!  Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 9:20:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R0N] [#4]
I have both and use the pistol one daily and on the rifle one weekly, to rehearse what I plan on shooting on Sundays.

They have improved my groups, and the Blackbeard with its laser is good way to rehearse clearing structures.

I intro’d the pre-x version of the Blackbeard to the people who “own” doctrine for Marine Corps’ shooting program and in the last several years they have fielded the X version to the MCRDs and Quantico for entry level training for use during grass week

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I purchased a Umerex Glock Gen 3 which uses green gas and shoots the plastic BBs.  Before your recommendation, I thought airsoft guns were merely plastic toys.  lol  Now I need to find a method of catching the BBs so I don't have 5000 of them littering my garage floor.  

Thanks again for the tip.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Barney_Calhoun:
I'm considering the BlackbeardX and have read great things about the hardware, but the software seems to be the weak point. Reading through the reviews of the software in Apple's app store, there are comments referring to the app crashing, "plagued with problems", etc. However, most of the reviews are years old. Has there been improvement in the stability of the app? Overall the app gets a 4.4 out of 5 stars, not bad, but I'm looking at dropping $320 for the hardware, so I'd like to be confident in the overall benefits of the entire system, not just the hardware.  One other question please; what is the difference between the basic Mantis X app and the Laser Academy? Is the Laser Academy required for use with the BlackbeardX? Thank you for any input.
View Quote

Got the BlackbeardX for Christmas last year and love it. I don't remember any issues with the software. The laser academy isn't required but is a lot of fun and a lot like a virtual range trip. Even if it does take just as long to set up as actually going to the range — the instant feedback and shot placement is extremely helpful.

Got the X3 rail-mounted for my birthday a few months later for dry or live fire training and love it.

I have become a much better shooter, at least over longer distances.

The daily drills, corrections, and reminders keep me training even with a busy schedule, three kids, and running a small business.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:

Got the BlackbeardX for Christmas last year and love it. I don't remember any issues with the software. The laser academy isn't required but is a lot of fun and a lot like a virtual range trip. Even if it does take just as long to set up as actually going to the range — the instant feedback and shot placement is extremely helpful.

Got the X3 rail-mounted for my birthday a few months later for dry or live fire training and love it.

I have become a much better shooter, at least over longer distances.

The daily drills, corrections, and reminders keep me training even with a busy schedule, three kids, and running a small business.

View Quote

I found this dry fire mag online and it's touted to work well with the Mantis X.  It doesn't get the best reviews however, it sounds like durability is a problem and it's pretty spendy for what it is.  

https://www.dryfiremag.com/
Top Top