Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2023 10:58:33 AM EDT
I'm thinking of taking their pistol classes, (civilian) especially CQB, but I'm a little worried about the fact that Paul Howe isn't teaching the classes himself anymore. The biggest value of in-person classes is the instructor diagnosing and correcting the technique errors, and I'm not sure how well this skill can be transferred to other instructors even if they are great shooters themselves. The theory I can read in a book :)
Has anyone had recent experience with taking the post-retirement classes there?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: easttxshooter] [#1]
I was there recently and Coy was the Primary instructor for the class. Paul was there for basically 75% of the class, either helping out with the drill, giving one on one coaching to the side, or a few times running a simultaneous drill elsewhere. I highly recommend CSAT for anything, I'm a satisfied repeat customer.

@voyager3
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By easttxshooter:
I was there recently and Coy was the Primary instructor for the class. Paul was there for basically 75% of the class, either helping out with the drill, giving one on one coaching to the side, or a few times running a simultaneous drill elsewhere. I highly recommend CSAT for anything, I'm a satisfied repeat customer.

@voyager3
View Quote

Thanks everyone. I was curious about Paul’s current situation also.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I should poke my head in here more often. CSAT is my home training facility and I'm only now seeing this.

Repeat CSAT student x7 here, including instructor school; taking another course in a few months.

OPs concern is understandable, but IMO unwarranted. Paul is super amicable with his paying students, but I've had some chances to peek behind the curtain and have figured out he's got very high expectations for his employee instructors. New instructors build experience with Paul watching over their shoulder constantly. If Paul wanders off during instruction, I know that that guy has paid his dues and is squared away.

Also, if Paul is retired, he sucks at it. This year Paul is back as lead instructor much more often. Last couple years he's been doing other CSAT-related stuff, but one of his newsletters recently indicated he's going to be spending less time off away from classes.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for their insights. I've had a chance to take the Tac Pistol class and it was awesome.
The best part was that for every issue I felt I had with my shooting they had a technique or a drill to systematically address it. I think the way to get the most out of the class is to come with a lot of questions and not being shy to ask. Paul is a wealth of actionable knowledge.
Look forward to future classes there.
Top Top