Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2023 3:09:30 PM EDT
I'll start off by stating that I'm retarded (see pre-year 2000 0311) and that drives a lot of my mindset. I run an esstac Daeodon with a pair of Large SAPI Hesco 4400's and my carrier with water bag, mags, IFAK, radio, etc my PC tips in at around 40lbs. I personally use my gear as a training tool in the rugged area where I live and in the past 2-3 years I have often considered getting lighter plates, but my Jarhead mentality is to keep the heavier plates, as they help me maintain my endurance under load and are, in effect, a training tool. Now, would I like lighter plates? Sure. They would help me move faster, breathe a little easier (my 4400's are curved, but they still suck) and offer the same protection as my 4400's; but, I force myself to keep using them. Has anyone else gone through a similar debacle? I am not AD anymore, I use my gear simply to stay as dialed-in as I can be and it's always good to have gear in case you need it. I appreciate any input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't sound crazy . Don't people wear weighted exercise vests as a work out ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My rma plates are 8 lbs a piece I believe. Heavy compared to other plates out there. Former 0311 also. 05-09. My gear is a mix of infantry/ long term ops and a lighter profile.

I don't mind the weight, am in shape and can assume I won't be forced to hump 20 k for time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I use ar500 plates for the weight and don't worry about getting good plates all soaked with sweat and damaged throwing the PC around and keep a good PC all setup the same way as your training one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#4]
I'm poor and was stupid about plates back then, so both my sets are heavy.

One carrier is RMA 1155MC's and 6 pounds of 6x8 side plates, whole thing tips in at 30 pounds with three 30 round mags.

The other is a set of Highcom 17s or whatever, 7 pounds a piece, no side plates.  Feels like a feather to me.

I try and do a three mile walk, in 35 minutes, four nights a week, and bang out 50 rapid squats with that first PC and a 40 to 75 pound kid on my shoulders.  I don't even bring those plates in the house, they sit in the garage waiting on tomorrow's outing.

I'm a totally broken record on this, but moving everything I could to my belt made a world of difference to me.  I may not be carrying a lighter load, but it sure feels like it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnoGoRider:
I use ar500 plates for the weight and don't worry about getting good plates all soaked with sweat and damaged throwing the PC around and keep a good PC all setup the same way as your training one.
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I'm no operator, nor former .mil, but this is the way.

My setup only adds a little over 20 pounds, but it's better than nothing for my old grey haired self.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

That's exactly what I've thought about doing.
Get tbe heaviest steel plate's I can find cheap (  steel capable of stopping some threat rounds just in case ) and use them for workout's.
Top Top