Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2023 10:32:05 AM EDT
A lot of people seem to think it does.  

Dave "Boon" Benton was part of the CIA annex security team that responded to the September 11, 2012 terrorist attack on the US Special Mission in Benghazi, Libya. The team fought terrorists for more than 13 hours while saving more than 20 lives. Their story is told in the book "13 hours" written by Mitchell Zuckoff and the five-surviving annex security team members and in the movie “13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.”

It is well worth reading his recent article on the subject of training:

Does Having a Concealed Carry License Permit Prepare You to Carry a Firearm?

The information applies well beyond the topic of Concealed Carry:

Whether you use a pistol, a rifle or a shotgun, these phases apply to you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyF:
"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician"
------ Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
View Quote

Hell yes it does.  No one said it had to be good music.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
When I took my CCW class about a quarter of the classes hand went up when asked who has never shot before. Was even scarier when we went to the range part of the class. I support the 2nd Amendment, and think it's important people learn to defend themselve. But I really hope those people went out and got more training and regular practice. I hate the the thought of some of them being in public armed and possible use it and their rounds don't go where they are suppose to and hit someone or something they are not suppose to.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Constitutional carry so I wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol no

When I took my class, on the range I was next to a woman that had never fired a gun before.

Snubbie revolver. She almost shot her finger off 'pointing' her finger as part of her grip. Luckily the instructor caught it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:

It's not even the psychobabble.  It's a fundamental mindset/gut-check - will you be able to pull the trigger on another human being?  If you can't immediately answer "yes," then you shouldn't be carrying a gun.  One of my sons is, unfortunately in this instance, just too nice of a kid.  No way he'd be able to shoot someone, or even fight back if attacked.  He has martial arts training, but I know he'd never use it.  At most he'd immobilize someone, but certainly never retaliate or fight back in anger.

My other two kids - they took the concealed carry course last year, now I just have to poke them to actually process the paperwork.  I know both of them have more of a sheepdog mindset.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
I think a lot of time people that do just the "4 hour required class" or whatever their state requires, have a false sense of ability.

I understand going to something like that cause it's "required" for a "license" and all that but don't expect much from it.

4 hours of hearing how "every bullet has a lawyer attached"w and other trite crap that just psychologically effs with the person. I've watched those same types not shoot airsoft at another person during FOF classes. The hesitation caused by the psycho babble is real.

It's not even the psychobabble.  It's a fundamental mindset/gut-check - will you be able to pull the trigger on another human being?  If you can't immediately answer "yes," then you shouldn't be carrying a gun.  One of my sons is, unfortunately in this instance, just too nice of a kid.  No way he'd be able to shoot someone, or even fight back if attacked.  He has martial arts training, but I know he'd never use it.  At most he'd immobilize someone, but certainly never retaliate or fight back in anger.

My other two kids - they took the concealed carry course last year, now I just have to poke them to actually process the paperwork.  I know both of them have more of a sheepdog mindset.

Truth.

The video I posted about NTI indicates one observation that differences are not just with individuals but with regions of the country.  In force-on-force scenarios NTI participants from the West tend to give a warning before they would open fire.  NTI participants from the Northeast, as a group, are reluctant to ever open fire.  NTI participants from the South generally don't give warnings.  At TAC-CON2023 Force-on-Force events the differences between Texans and those from the Northeast were also very noticeable.  Those from the Northeast were very motivated to get quality training, but at the same time very reluctant to shoot.  As a group, Texans don't have that reluctance.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Top Top