Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2022 9:00:05 PM EDT
With a weekend off and no real plans today I decided to test myself with my carry gun (G19.5 with an RM06) using the guise of accurate slow fire, dont miss. So I loaded up 25 mags and packed a lunch, what I shot humbled me a bit. There is a distinct pattern of 2'oclock to 7'oclock from the 13 yard line out to the 25 yard line, I do have pistol targets out to 75 but I didnt bother today.

All of the impacts are in and on the area of the 2" dots I was aiming at but they span the area of about 5" top to bottom. After I did a bit of cursing myself and a little head scratching I figured it must be my grip, I can dry fire and even mixed dummy rounds into the mix to try to catch myself flinching. All good, I did notice I grip the gun to the point of shaking so I need to work on that.

Last 4 mags and I put on some mechnix gloves I keep in the bag and instantly the groups tighten up, WAY up. The trend was still to the 2 and 7'oclock but not even close to what it was without gloves.

As a retired 26 year aircraft mechanic I do have hand and wrist issues, and I've never slow fired this gun save for sighting in the HSTs.

So what am I doing with gloves that I cant replicate without them? I even shot a Bill Drill better than I slow fired today.

I've been shooting seriously since about 1996 outside of hunting and even made SS in IDPA a few years back.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the target, gloved targets are marked as such. I could rapid fire this and shrink it up 40% or so. Any ideas? I'm looking at classes already

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 9:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By samsgreen50:
Here's the target, gloved targets are marked as such. I could rapid fire this and shrink it up 40% or so. Any ideas? I'm looking at classes already

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361390/20220925_140130_jpg-2539454.JPG
View Quote

Gloves?  Depends on the gun. It is a grip thing for me and how much I have to grab.  My 320 has more room than my G19 clone (P80).  The P80 has an aggressive grip from the factory.  The 320 has a WC grip module that is good but not as grippy.  

Stop flinching.  You are right handed and need to work on your trigger pull.  

I need to work on my press also.  Dry fire is a huge help.  If you have a red dot you can see the dot dance if your press is less than stellar.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
A proper pair of shooting gloves can be helpful.  I usually don't use them, but if the gloves are specifically designed for shooting handguns, I have found them to work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure I shoot better with or without gloves. Besides people look at me strangely when I show up at the range in surgical gloves lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If I am wearing my MikesMech's i leave them on,  they texture make my grip stronger and you never slide pinch if you are new with the fire arm.  I also hear the Archery and Rifle hunting Elk.

So in  ye old adage ... Fight like you train, train like you fight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
No.  I've never noticed a positive difference with gloves.   If anything less tactile response causes the trigger press to suffer.

Your target shows you still have the same problem with or without gloves on, only to a slightly lesser degree.   Look into your firing hand pinky pressure consistency effects on the shot.   Check it in dryfire   Hold grip then squeeze and release pinky/ring finger pressure slightly to see where sights go.   Pressing the trigger will cause involuntary movement here that can account for a lot of accuracy problems.  Gloves may lessen the effects as they may fill in voids around the grip differently than without.   In my quick tests here I could reproduce 2:00 and 7:00 movement due to pinky pressure but only when I was using an exgerated overdriven support hand grip.   Adding mechanic gloves lessened it probably due to filler material creating more normal front strap contact.    Look at your support hand grip too to fix this.  You may need to bring the wrist down and index finger back in tighter into the front strap if you're overdriving it.

These are just educated guesses.   Actilually diagnosing someone else's fundamental issues sight unseen is an impossible task.    Pursuing basic fundamental handgun training classes is a great idea.   A good instructor will teach you the science behind shooting and in turn the art of self-diagnosis.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

Gloves?  Depends on the gun. It is a grip thing for me and how much I have to grab.  My 320 has more room than my G19 clone (P80).  The P80 has an aggressive grip from the factory.  The 320 has a WC grip module that is good but not as grippy.  

Stop flinching.  You are right handed and need to work on your trigger pull.  

I need to work on my press also.  Dry fire is a huge help.  If you have a red dot you can see the dot dance if your press is less than stellar.
View Quote

Yeah I catch myself flinching during live fire even though I can dry fire and the dot never moves. This slow fire "bullseye" thing is frustrating but fun in a way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pgm74:
No.  I've never noticed a positive difference with gloves.   If anything less tactile response causes the trigger press to suffer.

Your target shows you still have the same problem with or without gloves on, only to a slightly lesser degree.   Look into your firing hand pinky pressure consistency effects on the shot.   Check it in dryfire   Hold grip then squeeze and release pinky/ring finger pressure slightly to see where sights go.   Pressing the trigger will cause involuntary movement here that can account for a lot of accuracy problems.  Gloves may lessen the effects as they may fill in voids around the grip differently than without.   In my quick tests here I could reproduce 2:00 and 7:00 movement due to pinky pressure but only when I was using an exgerated overdriven support hand grip.   Adding mechanic gloves lessened it probably due to filler material creating more normal front strap contact.    Look at your support hand grip too to fix this.  You may need to bring the wrist down and index finger back in tighter into the front strap if you're overdriving it.

These are just educated guesses.   Actilually diagnosing someone else's fundamental issues sight unseen is an impossible task.    Pursuing basic fundamental handgun training classes is a great idea.   A good instructor will teach you the science behind shooting and in turn the art of self-diagnosis.
View Quote

You mention several good points, pinky pressure being one and moving my wrist. I'm going to try a few things this week to see what happens, another guy at work mentioned support hand thumb pressure. I've honestly never given my wrist or thumb much thought.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Since we werent flying today and I have some skilled shooters available to pester, I did just that.

One of the guys that I shoot steel with talked major crap about "bullseye" type shooting and only idiots would try it with a Glock. Then added that it may possibly be my support hand thumb not offering any help on that side of the frame.

The other guy I sought out is a Master going for GM and he seems to think that my side-to-side pressure is over-powering the front to back pressure of my grip.

So, with what you guys have brought up and the guys at work this weekend should be interesting.

This bugged me to the point of going to the CATM range today to shoot a "dot torture" and I cleaned it cold. Much to the dismay of the LtCol who is gunning for GM.

I really want to try this with my LTT 92 but I'm going to flesh this Glock out first.
Top Top