Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2023 6:34:06 PM EDT
Let me start this off by saying I have never received proper training. I watched hundreds of videos, bought my guns, and over all am decent with a rifle but absolutely horrible with a handgun. I was shooting a Glock 19 and I am pretty good with it, but I started using a p320 for work reasons and I absolutely suck with it. I know I flinch with it, and while I can hit the paper from 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards I don't hit what I'm aiming at. Most of my shots are just low. Low left, middle, and right so just generally low. I went out of my way to aim high right and hit the bullseye and the circle around it.

What the fuck am I doing wrong other than flinching, how do I fix my issues including the flinch, what drills and videos do you recommend I try? I dont want to just go shooting mag after mag because I assume that's not gonna fix these issues. Hell maybe it would for all I know idk.

I have my own private outdoor range that goes out to 100 yds at the moment so I'm not really limited in when I can shoot or what I can do.

Please help me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#1]
Buy a Mantis. Pretty sure those dry fire aids tell you what you're doing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
View Quote

This is good, but even w/o Mantis, a lot of dry firing will generally fix it.  You can see the results instantly of what you are doing wrong.  Even many very experienced shooters dry fire regularly.  Top competitors make that a significant part of their training.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out places nearby that do handgun classes. I would imagine you can find something decent between 100 to 300 bucks. My organization qualifies us with Glocks, but provides pretty much zero instruction. Spend a few bucks on yourself and find an instructor that can diagnose and provide insight, it's well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a class. Your in Texas, plenty of opportunity out there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 7:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#6]
Some things that will help with flinching:

#1 Use double ear protection (Ear muffs and Ear plugs)
#2 Wear a hat with a brim (ie baseball hat).  Trust me on this one.  It reduces the overpressure on your eyes.  There is a reason why guys like this wear ball caps:
Fastest shooter EVER, Jerry Miculek- World record 8 shots in 1 second & 12 shot reload! HD

#3 Run the 5+1 drill.  Next time you are out on the range do 5 dryfires, load up 1, shoot, and repeat the process.  You probably want to do this every time you go to the range at least 5 times.  It's ok to do this for a whole box of 50 rounds.  That's 6 trigger pulls for every 1 round of ammo spent.
#4. Next time you are shooting and find yourself getting into that habit of flinching again, immediately stop live fire and perform 30 dryfires before you resume live fire.

The art of the handgun is to train yourself not to flinch.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 8:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZippZ] [#7]
Could be you're focusing on the flinch, so you flinch.

Focus on your sights, the task on hand, and your trigger press.  Feel every millimeter of that trigger move.  See the brass ejecting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#8]
What part of Texas are you in?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:07:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I am seeing no bad advise here .

I might suggest a 22lr gun (Ruger mark or Browing buckmark) . I have never seen a guy good with a 22 pistol who couldn't shoot other pistols pretty decent .

Set yourself up so the target is at a distance where you can see each hit . Blasting a couple dozen shots at a target and then looking  doesn't help much , Seeing each shot land lets you connect what you did with what you are getting for results. In other words what a good shot feels like.

The 22 lets you concentrate on the fundamentals without a lot of cost ,noise or recoil and the good skills you teach yourself will carry over to more serious guns
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Find a local pistol instructor with good reviews and take a class or two.

Also, G19s and P320s have different points of impact.

Glocks have the round impact on top of the front sight (lollipop or 6 o'clock hold) while the P320 impacts on the dot in the front sight (center hold or "combat sighting"). Most people who go from Glocks to Sigs shoot low.

I'm probably a ways away from you, but shoot me an IM if I can help.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
View Quote

I’ve been strongly thinking about getting this. Mantis 10x I think is the one I want to get.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Try Strikeman laser training system. You can dial in your grip and trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:42:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TW200] [#13]
edit
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
I am seeing no bad advise here .

I might suggest a 22lr gun (Ruger mark or Browing buckmark) . I have never seen a guy good with a 22 pistol who couldn't shoot other pistols pretty decent .

Set yourself up so the target is at a distance where you can see each hit . Blasting a couple dozen shots at a target and then looking  doesn't help much , Seeing each shot land lets you connect what you did with what you are getting for results. In other words what a good shot feels like.

The 22 lets you concentrate on the fundamentals without a lot of cost ,noise or recoil and the good skills you teach yourself will carry over to more serious guns
View Quote

Strongly Agree.  NRA uses 4 inch circles at 10ft for beginner pistol, typically with .22cal.  It's a tried and true formula.

If available, .22 on reactive steel is fantastic for rapid feedback.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Blasting a couple dozen shots at a target and then looking  doesn't help much , Seeing each shot land lets you connect what you did with what you are getting for results. In other words what a good shot feels like.
View Quote

The bigger gain with this is being able to call shots.  Analyzing how you did when firing your shot and predicting where it landed, before you see it.
Top Top