Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2022 3:42:15 PM EDT
Wondering what your thoughts are on the class: worthwhile or worthless?  Anything you thought should be covered more, or anything they should spend less time on?  What questions should you have asked?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Best answer; It depends!. I am an NRA and USCCA handgun instructor, NRA for over 10 yrs, USCCA for 2 yrs.  You need to understand the NRA education system (in my opinion it is more of an education system than a training system) is built on a building block approach. IE; freshman(100 series) thru SR/advanced degrees(300-500 series, like math 101, and then 200, etc.)  It is designed for you to take the Basic Pistol, then PPITH, then PPOTH, and then Personal Defense(first time drawing from holster/concealed) is taught.  I mostly teach PPITH as this is the course that my state(michigan) requires for CPL education to obtain the concealed carry license.  It will be very basic to an experienced pistoleer, yet pretty advanced for a pure beginner.  For most concealed carriers(with some experience with handguns) the Personal Protection Outside the Home would be the best, however NRA requires the PPITH as a prerequisite.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I teach it.  It is foundational material.  The classroom portion covers a lot of things other firearms classes don't ever mention.  The focus is on pistol.  Once upon a time PPIH was the only personal protection class the NRA offered, so there is good fundamental training there.  In my opinion, the default material should at least discuss shotgun/rifle.  I add longgun discussion to my classes.
Top Top