Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2023 11:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude]
I've been using a couple of phone apps and I've decided I want to get a dedicated, non-app shot timer. The purpose is to improve my reaction skills with AR carbine, AR pistol, shotgun, and pistol. Here's what I want:

Wearable
Loud
Works well in an indoor rifle/shotgun range
Start it without holding it or looking at it
Wired audio jack so I can plug it into my ear muffs
Able to support a wide variety of tactical drills. I'm not even sure I know what this means, though
Able to store data from four hours of shooting
Able to transfer session data to a pc so I can use it in spreadsheets
Easy to adjust sensitivity

Budget is $200.

Question 1: What else should I be looking for in a shot timer, please?

I've read a bunch of reviews and the following seem like solid candidates. I haven't looked at all of them in detail yet, though.

Question 2: Are there any shot timers that should be on my list that aren't?

Question 3: Are there any shot timers on my list you think shouldn't be there?

Anything else you want to offer, please feel free. If what I know about shot timers were cheese, it wouldn't make a light snake for a small mouse. All I know is I need one to do what I want to do, which is to become much more skilled than I am now.

Thanks!

CED7000
PACT Club Shot Timer III
Competition Elctronics II
Special Pie
Double Alpha Academy ShotMaxx 2
Smart Timer
AMG LABS Commander (Thank you @ahorseman)
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
AMG LABS Commander. Nothing else is close. Uses aaa batteries that last forever and can be sensitive enough to register dry fire.  Made in Florida.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ahorseman:
AMG LABS Commander. Nothing else is close. Uses aaa batteries that last forever and can be sensitive enough to register dry fire.  Made in Florida.
View Quote

Added. Thanks!

If it registers dry-fire, I could use it on my laser dry-fire range in my basement. That would be outstanding.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, get a cheap timer and also get a Mantis X3.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the AMG and it's an excellent shot timer.  I also have the CED 7000 and it's a pretty good timer but mine doesn't hold a charge for very long.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By battlemidget:
FWIW, get a cheap timer and also get a Mantis X3.
View Quote

Thanks but I already have a Strikeman Pro 10-yard dry-fire range in my basement.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Op  I don't know of any timer that will do what you want.  Maybe you should design one!  
The AMG Commander is as nice and anything else out there.  You can get it to sound at intervals and you might, might get the sensitivity to register dry fire if the environment is quiet enough and the timer is close to your dryfire gun, but I haven't tried it.  
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
AMG Commander ordered. It will be here in a few days.

As far as I can tell, it does everything on my list except provide a headphone jack. As loud as it is, I don't think that's going to be a problem.

Thanks for the help, everybody!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
So much for "here in a few days." It actually took 3 months.

I'm taking it to the range tomorrow and putting it to use. Seems like a sturdy little doo-dad.

Top Top