Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2022 6:10:43 PM EDT
I am *possibly* going to be transitioning from a striker fired gun to a cocked and locked gun. How many repetitions do I need until I am at the point that the safety is switched off as it clears the holster because that is the only thing that feels normal?

If I go this path, am I going need to abandon anything else for carry?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By feudist:
View Quote

Seems a bit low. Last I heard the number is in the tens of thousands, depending.

But 87 is always a good number. Maybe I'll start there and multiples of 87.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Really only a few hundred.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#4]
As many as it takes until you’re doing it every time without thinking. Could be 100, could be 10,000, you’ll just have to find out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thumb goes to the safety on the draw and is disengaged before the sights come into alignment.  Not after.  That's slow.

If it's a 1911 or 2011 style gun your thumb should always be on that safety during the firing cycle applying downward pressure.

Unless you have brain lock or something it really doesn't take that long to become second nature.

I can say when I switched from Glock to 2011 in competition I never once "forgot" to disengage the safety.

The whole thing has really been overblown by idiots.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The usual recommendation is do about 5,000 proper repetitions of dry draws... If you practice your draw in reverse every time that also counts as a rep.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By R_S:
The usual recommendation is do about 5,000 proper repetitions of dry draws... If you practice your draw in reverse every time that also counts as a rep.
View Quote

Really? Alright. I'll gladly take that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
Thumb goes to the safety on the draw and is disengaged before the sights come into alignment.  Not after.  That's slow.

If it's a 1911 or 2011 style gun your thumb should always be on that safety during the firing cycle applying downward pressure.

Unless you have brain lock or something it really doesn't take that long to become second nature.

View Quote
This. Assuming the safety location/lever isn't wonky, it's a very natural movement. Clear the holster, ride the safety down with your thumb, keep it pinned on top of the lever.

The movement doesn't change for me between striker or hammer guns.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By stone-age:
I am *possibly* going to be transitioning from a striker fired gun to a cocked and locked gun. How many repetitions do I need until I am at the point that the safety is switched off as it clears the holster because that is the only thing that feels normal?

If I go this path, am I going need to abandon anything else for carry?
View Quote

The beginner trains until he gets it right.

The master trains until he cannot get it wrong.

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:

The beginner trains until he gets it right.

The master trains until he cannot get it wrong.

View Quote

That's a great quote. Definitely worth remembering.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
Really only a few hundred.
View Quote

This has been my experience transitioning from G19 to M17 to G34 over 6 months.
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Gonna bump this because i lately installed the manual safety on my 365. It only took me a hand full of dry fire and one live session to feel comfortable enough to carry it again.

Maybe 300 dry / 100 live rounds ?
Top Top