Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2023 1:21:53 AM EDT
Hi everyone
I’m a busy dad and don’t have much time to train and join classes.  Especially since they are on the weekends and my hands are full with 5 kids.

That being said. I’ve been lucky enough to go shooting approximately once every week to once every 2 weeks in the last year.

I’ve fired around 6 k rounds of 223 PMC since I started a year ago.

5 k was at an indoor range at 25 yards using a LMT ar 15 16 inch with a red dot (Aimpoint pro).
1 k rounds is at an outdoor range that I currently just became a member at, at 100 yards using an LVPO vortex razor 1-10 while standing (13.7 inch sons of liberty 223).

The outdoor range allows me to shoot at 50, 100, 200 and 300 yards from all positions. I usually stand.

What is the best way for me to train with the limitations I have with not taking any courses ?
I’m just tryin to make the most out of my shooting sessions.  

Thanks !
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Start with making yourself a smaller target try prone & kneeling. Learn to properly use a rifle sling to add support. Spend some of that rifle ammo at longer distances off a bipod. Keep in mind that what you do in training tends to be what you do when shit hits the fan and the last thing I want to do is stand up like British soldier in 1776. Cover and concealment are your friend. Spend pistol ammo at 25 yds or buy a Ruger 10-22 and use it on the in door range.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
CSAT Standards

RIFLE STANDARDS

The enclosed drills are designed with three purposes in mind:

A measurable standard to maintain.

An efficient stair-stepped workout program that covers all the bases.

To test the individual shooter at various times to show areas needing improvement.

?

DISTANCE / STANDARD

?

Ready 1 shot 1 target   7 yards 1.00 sec.

Ready 2 shots 1 target 7 yards 1.50 sec.

Ready 2/1 Body/Head  7 yards 1.75 sec

Ready 5/1 Body/Head  7 yards 3.00 sec.

Ready 2 shots /2 targets 7 yards 3.00 sec.

Ready 1 Rifle /1 Pistol  7 yards 3.25 sec

Ready 5 shots /1 target 100 yards/prone 20 sec. *

Ready 5 shots /1 target 75 yards/kneel 20 sec. *

Ready 5 shots /1 target 50 yards/kneel 20 sec.*

Ready 5 shots/1 target  25 yards/stand 8 sec.

Total: 37 Rounds Rifle/1 Pistol

?

**Instructor Student must pass 8 of 10 drills to be successful.

**Drill 5, one shot from rifle is fired and then transition to pistol. Must both must hit.

* 4 of 5 rounds must be in box
View Quote

Paul Howe has videos out on how to achieve these.  Start by working the positions with dryfire on reduced size targets.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Amen to CSAT standards.

Also look at everything Kyle Lamb has put out.

Work hard on reloads, malfunction clearing, getting in and out of positions, using cover as said above, moving properly under fire (high crawl, low crawl, 3-5 second rush, PRACTICE these, wearing what you'd be fighting in), work multiple targets at various distances, partially obscure targets (bad guys use cover too!), etc,, off too of my head.

And shooting standardized drills periodically, like El Diablo, El Presidente, 15 Seconds Of Fury, MTS 9 Shot Drill, etc., will show you areas you need to be working on.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Good info. I took my first rifle class this weekend, and the instructor was using a timer when we were doing trigger work. I was going to ask how valuable of a tool it is. I see all the guntubers have them, but that acctually makes me leary. But reading up on CSAT, I see it can acctually be a valuble training device.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#6]
These are some good drills:

Top 5 Combat Drills | Special Forces Training | Tactical Rifleman

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good info. I took my first rifle class this weekend, and the instructor was using a timer when we were doing trigger work. I was going to ask how valuable of a tool it is. I see all the guntubers have them, but that acctually makes me leary. But reading up on CSAT, I see it can acctually be a valuble training device.
View Quote

It is important to do things in the right order.  First make sure you can accomplish the action correctly without time pressure.  Only when you can do that consistently, add time pressure.  

Mosby describes the training formula for achieving excellence here: Math for Marksmen: The Speed Vs. Accuracy Equation

The standards Mosby describes are better that what he achieved when he was special ops.  

I would humbly suggest that using "reactive" targets will give you the quickest results.  I like to use falling steel.  Bill Rogers is the master at reactive marksmanship.  With Rogers training methods even higher standards are possible.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
That too, I have found shooting steel to be extremely useful for the instant hit feedback it gives, especially when working a barricade or doing alot of movement.

With it, you begin to develop a better sense of an acceptable (rather than perfect) sight picture, if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That too, I have found shooting steel to be extremely useful for the instant hit feedback it gives, especially when working a barricade or doing alot of movement.

With it, you begin to develop a better sense of an acceptable (rather than perfect) sight picture, if that makes sense.
View Quote

Shooting steel is good for feedback, however, don't shoot it exclusively.

Too much steel and your accuracy standards start to diminish.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#10]
That's right.  Do it ALL.

It's still good to hunker down at times and shoot tight groups, working the 4 fundamentals.

And many standardized drills DO require specific targets, with specific scoring zones and metrics.  Makes a difference.
Top Top