Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2012 2:03:26 PM EDT
Anybody got a guy or a good source for them at a good price?
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a few of the dollamur mats on ebay for a pretty good price.

I got 2 of the roll up mats that are just big enough for 2 guys to work takedowns/groundwork on. I think it cost me about
$150 total.

Do a search for grappling or MMA mats on ebay. That, and try your local craigslist and see if anyone has any wrestling mats or similar.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
well these are not as 'cheap' as you might find on e-bay, but these are from zebramats. two 5 x 10 roll ups with tape and shipping was $500

I took them to my school to use for take downs when we had a nasty wood floor to use.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
A buddy of mine has ten 60" x 24" x 1 3/8" mats he is going to sell me for $160 along with $80 worth of MMA shorts and a rash guard. I can't afford not to buy it.

I'm going to get some carpet pad or some closed cell foam to put under it for a little more padding.  I think I'll frame it out and get a piece of vinyl to cover it like in this video.  If any one is interested I'll take some pictures of the project and do a little write-up.

There is a lot of yapping, but I like his framing and cover ideas:

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
try to find a grappling tournament in the area and profit. a lot of times they will sell their mats after the event is over for a decent price. crash pads are your best bet for practicing throws.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
crash pads, really? crash pads will help you develop shitty technique and give you a false sense of security about your mediocre ukemi waza.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:
crash pads, really? crash pads will help you develop shitty technique and give you a false sense of security about your mediocre ukemi waza.

I see you've never taken a couple hundred throws in a day from a guy who can throw hard.

A crash pad allows the tori to throw with full force. My friend (RIP) could throw a drop morote seionage that would scramble your brains I don't care what kind of break fall technique you employed.

To the OP, decent mats for a good price are not impossible, but it'll take some patience and time, usually.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
my friend...

Along those same lines, my GF can throw harder than most of the players I've seen in the US
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
dude sacrifice throws feel a lot better on a crash pad then wrestling mats!
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 5:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jcncc] [#9]
As the official throwing dummy of my Dojo I love the crash pad.

When do we get a martial arts sub forum?
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
The IBJJF was in town last weekend and had a great deal on Zebra mats.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:46:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gbuilder] [#11]
Sometimes you can find them on craigslist for a deal, but if you are going to buy new I also recommend the delmar zebra or tiffin mats, those are what I have at home and at my gym. I have 12x10' but they were on clearance for  like 350 shipped for 2" thick delmar mats (they are puke green and were apparently an unpopular color)
1inch is probably ok for rolling or over carpet, but I would get atlest 2" for throws especially if you are going to be on concrete or hardwoods
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fm2:
The IBJJF was in town last weekend and had a great deal on Zebra mats.

zebra mats for the win. i did a grapplers quest in vegas a couple years ago and i think it was joe stevenson who bought up almost ALL the mats after the event!
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#13]
www.tiffinmats.com

I've had several of these for 18 years and they still are in great shape.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gbuilder:
Sometimes you can find them on craigslist for a deal, but if you are going to buy new I also recommend the delmar zebra or tiffin mats, those are what I have at home and at my gym. I have 12x10' but they were on clearance for  like 350 shipped for 2" thick delmar mats (they are puke green and were apparently an unpopular color)
1inch is probably ok for rolling or over carpet, but I would get atlest 2" for throws especially if you are going to be on concrete or hardwoods

Tiffin has a 2.5 inch that is firm padding over soft padding....great for judo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:
View Quote

Guess I'm just a pussy cause I don't feel like being thrown on the floor is needed for practice. Anyways. ..... In terms of crash pad just get a cheap secondhand bed mattress.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#16]
While it ain't for me, some actually advise against mats.  They claim it interferes with learning good technique, you 'learn' more from the hard surface.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#17]
We picked up a set of barely used 8x4 pads from another family that used to take gymnastics with my youngest daughter.  They didn't want to move with them.
=)
Top Top