Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 4/8/2023 8:17:00 PM EDT
Something Ive noticed over the past few years is an increasing number of people that want to "drop the hammer" after shooting a drill. While I see it mainly on GunTube videos; I have seen a few guys also do it when completing drills in class. Once the course of fire is done, they drop their mag, unload, then press the trigger prior to reholstering. They arent to the point of doing this between every string of fire if we are shooting as a group; but on an individual basis it happens.  To me, it is an un-needed step and a habit thats either carried over from them shooting matches or simply doing because they see other people doing it.   Do you guys do this?

And no; I'm talking about decocking a DA/SA gun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a safety thing carried over from USPSA and IDPA type games.  They run cold ranges and the dropped hammer proves the weapon is unloaded.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep. It’s standard practice in IDPA. Also standard practice at Glock where everybody clears the gun, pulls the trigger, and shakes the gun so you can audibly hear the striker or whatever ding around in the gun. Not kidding.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
don't do it in USPSA and you are DQ
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#4]
IFFFFFfffYouAreFinishedShowMeClearSlideForwardHammerDownHolster!!!!

it's from matches, as addressed above. I do it whenever the gun is leaving my control or I'm done doing hot work. Carry over from matches for years, plus it's a proven way to have a "safe" gun that's less annoying than walking around with it holstered with the slide locked back
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I understand it is done in IDPA/USPSA (having competed in both).......I'm talking about its use outside of a match. Since most guys are simply going through the steps and not paying attention to what they are dooing I view it as un-needed and increases the chance of an AD happening for 0 safety gain.   When I ask guys why they do it I get "I do it in X match" or "I dont know" as a response.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I do so I can practice catching the ejected round.

You get a lot of practice when you shoot doubles.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 7:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#8]
In 2023, "hammer down" is pure retardation... Most pistols are striker fired and don't have a hammer... not that pulling the trigger was ever the best way to clear a firearm.

Cold range is for beginner students.  Once you are working with advanced students, hot range is the way to go.

Anyone with familiarity with green troops working with loaded weapons for the first time in a combat zone knows that ND's happen all over the place... in part because of piss poor discipline learned on the cold range.

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyF:
No.

That's a cold range process. We've always run a hot range. There are instances where a complete unload is performed in preparation for teaching some subsequent, specific technique but it NEVER involved pressing the trigger. A tactile or visual chamber check will suffice.

Constantly emphasizing a chamber check (when appropriate) is a confidence builder, especially for a novice shooter attending their first class who has likely never been around multiple people with loaded firearms.

I personally know someone who shot IDPA regularly where that practice is S.O.P. and once on occasion after arriving home from running some errands, used that procedure prior to putting the handgun back into his gun vault and upon pressing the trigger, had an ND because he blindly "unloaded" and mindless, robotic manner, pressed the trigger after removing the magazine.

The chamber check is your friend on both ends. By that I mean it ensures you never hear a click when you were expecting a bang, and you'll never press the trigger without ensuring the firearm is unloaded.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Some people will do it to get a free dryfire press in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Cold range = SOP
Hot range = Top off, holster and get full reloads in your pouches when time allows.
Top Top