Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2023 11:35:32 AM EDT

Over the last few years I’ve seen a ton of videos and articles about running a scope up top and a red dot on a 45 degree. Every set up I’ve seen this way is basically the same, a LPVO and red dot. That’s what they did, so that’s what I did.  I tried it, I ran it, and I liked it. BUT…

I started thinking about it. Why am I running a LPVO on top? The thing’s heavy, and a bit bulky which I’ve always dealt with because I wanted a scope and red dot mashed together. With a red dot on the side though, why do I need the scope to have variation in the magnification. Wouldn’t it be better to just have a dedicated 6x scope that was lighter and less bulky? With an LVPO top, my rifles a bit top heavy. I’d think a lighter scope would make my red dot transitions easier and more fluid. No throw lever has to be a plus too. Am I the only one thinking this?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My experience was with 3-gun when the first 1-6s came out and the "Open" Class guys would routinly run a 1-6 with a 45 red dot. Depending on the stage they would usually dial them to at least 4X to start and while 6x is nice a "Open" 3-gunner would have no problem hitting a 10" plate at 400--450yds with a 4X. The "Tactical Class" (one optic) did benifit from the 1-6s.  Coch on TacticlaHive just said the same you did about in a recent video = why have both=no reason=extra weight. He's an old school SF guy and runs a red dot and sometimes a A-COG (fixed 4X). My current setup is a 45 red dot and a 4X which gives me what I need for 400 yards without touching anything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I dropped LPVOs for 2-10 type optics.  They all had offset red dots anyway so I didn't need 1x on a LPVO.  So for the same weight I got more magnification and better reticle options
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It makes sense in certain use cases, but find me a modern “duty” quality fixed 6x with a good reticle.  

Hint, it doesn’t exist.

Best you’re gonna get is an ACOG, which tops out at 4x.  Any of the other ACOGs with more magnification are going to be damn near as heavy and bulky as your LPVO, so there’s no point.
Top Top