Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2021 2:43:11 PM EDT
I bought 1/2” ar 500 circle plates. Various sizes. 2 holes to hang, allowing a perfect circle target.

I use steel 1” pipe to hang them.

I bought the hooks to hang the targets.

My problem: I’m not hearing them or seeing them move when I’m hitting them. I am only at 20-40 yards.  

My solution: using chains instead of the hooks.

Or am I just a bad shot lol
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Trod7308:
I bought 1/2" ar 500 circle plates. Various sizes. 2 holes to hang, allowing a perfect circle target.

I use steel 1" pipe to hang them.

I bought the hooks to hang the targets.

My problem: I'm not hearing them or seeing them move when I'm hitting them. I am only at 20-40 yards.  

My solution: using chains instead of the hooks.

Or am I just a bad shot lol
View Quote
I have similar plates at 80+ yards. I bought a few each month for a few summers and built up a pretty good stack of plates.  I have them from 4" circle to 10" Circle, a few squares, rectangles, a few silhouettes and a Coyote with a 2nd plate/center mass cutout. Also have one that has a head and a second head that swings from side to side to emulate taking head shots on a hostage taker.

When mine are shot with .22 rimfire all the way to .308, you can see them move and hear them ding when the round impacts.
Now if shooting .22 Subs and a Can, you can hear a slight thud, but no real movement.  With the .300 Black out, subs and can, you her the round impact louder than the firing of the gun and it definitely moves then.  That's my favorite to shoot.

I've hung them on "Shepard's Hooks" that I bought from Lowe's or HomieD's and they are OK for quick portable set ups, but not my preferred.

Out in my back yard, way out back, I built a sort of Swingset.  Maybe 6-6.5' tall out of that black hardware store threaded pipe that folks often use for natural gas.
Across the swing set I hung about (12) 1 foot chains from it and then hung S hooks on the end of those.  
Now I can hang like 6 of whatever targets I feel like using that day.

I've had them for several years and other than repainting the targets white and the pipe, chains and hooks black every few times I get out there to shoot, I've not had to replace anything.

It works well.  If I had it to do over again, I'd put a center support in the cross pipe everything hangs on at like 10-12 feet.  All I'd need is two Ts and a few more sticks of pipe. The weight of all the target plates, S Hooks chains and collars, gets it saggin in the middle a bit.  
It works perfect as is, but the sag irritates me. I may redo it this spring.

If you are seriously not hearing or seeing these move at only 40 yards, I'd paint them fresh with white, then send a few rounds down range, go down  and inspect them.  IF you are hitting them, it will be obvious in the fresh spray paint.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
I have similar plates at 80+ yards. I bought a few each month for a few summers and built up a pretty good stack of plates.  I have them from 4" circle to 10" Circle, a few squares, rectangles, a few silhouettes and a Coyote with a 2nd plate/center mass cutout. Also have one that has a head and a second head that swings from side to side to emulate taking head shots on a hostage taker.

When mine are shot with .22 rimfire all the way to .308, you can see them move and hear them ding when the round impacts.
Now if shooting .22 Subs and a Can, you can hear a slight thud, but no real movement.  With the .300 Black out, subs and can, you her the round impact louder than the firing of the gun and it definitely moves then.  That's my favorite to shoot.

I've hung them on "Shepard's Hooks" that I bought from Lowe's or HomieD's and they are OK for quick portable set ups, but not my preferred.

Out in my back yard, way out back, I built a sort of Swingset.  Maybe 6-6.5' tall out of that black hardware store threaded pipe that folks often use for natural gas.
Across the swing set I hung about (12) 1 foot chains from it and then hung S hooks on the end of those.  
Now I can hang like 6 of whatever targets I feel like using that day.

I've had them for several years and other than repainting the targets white and the pipe, chains and hooks black every few times I get out there to shoot, I've not had to replace anything.

It works well.  If I had it to do over again, I'd put a center support in the cross pipe everything hangs on at like 10-12 feet.  All I'd need is two Ts and a few more sticks of pipe. The weight of all the target plates, S Hooks chains and collars, gets it saggin in the middle a bit.  
It works perfect as is, but the sag irritates me. I may redo it this spring.

If you are seriously not hearing or seeing these move at only 40 yards, I'd paint them fresh with white, then send a few rounds down range, go down  and inspect them.  IF you are hitting them, it will be obvious in the fresh spray paint.
View Quote

Thank you very much!  

I have the piping but definitely will be getting some chains. I also need one of those coyote targets with the center mass target.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 6:15:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smullen] [#3]
Originally Posted By Trod7308:

Thank you very much!  

I have the piping but definitely will be getting some chains. I also need one of those coyote targets with the center mass target.
View Quote
No prob, hope that helps.

I bought a coyote that looks kinda like this off Amazon...  But it has a second place in the center like for the organs.
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Also, I forgot to add, the way my chains are suspended from the main cross pipe is, I bought a few feet the next bigger size pipe than the main one. So it will actually fit over the main pipe and rotate nicely .  

I had the HW store cut it into small 1.5-2w" sections, no threads.
Each of them slides over the main cross pipe and rotates like a collar.  

I then had my mechanic buddy, tack weld one of the 12" lengths of chain to each collars.  
I figured if one did happen to get blown off, he could re-tack it. No issues as of yet.
So the chain hangs on the collars and rotates freely, when the targets get hit, it really lets them slide or swing back in fourth.

I don't think it is absolutely necessary, but it works well and I like it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 6:45:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#4]
My target came hung with rubber conveyor belt material.  It is bolted to the rear of the target in an inverted U shape.  The other end of the U is bolted to a piece of angle iron with a hole in it.  That angle iron suspends the steel and the rubber allows it to ring much better than other methods.

I hang the target on a T-shaped piece of heavy rebar that I hammer into the ground. The hole in the angle iron goes over the top post of the t. (little t, not big T)
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
try the 458
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By smullen:
No prob, hope that helps.

I bought a coyote that looks kinda like this off Amazon...  But it has a second place in the center like for the organs.
www.amazon.com/dp/B07YL5JWNP

Also, I forgot to add, the way my chains are suspended from the main cross pipe is, I bought a few feet the next bigger size pipe than the main one. So it will actually fit over the main pipe and rotate nicely .  

I had the HW store cut it into small 1.5-2w" sections, no threads.
Each of them slides over the main cross pipe and rotates like a collar.  

I then had my mechanic buddy, tack weld one of the 12" lengths of chain to each collars.  
I figured if one did happen to get blown off, he could re-tack it. No issues as of yet.
So the chain hangs on the collars and rotates freely, when the targets get hit, it really lets them slide or swing back in fourth.

I don't think it is absolutely necessary, but it works well and I like it.
View Quote

I bought a bulk pack of 2’ bungee cords. I hung my eBay steel from the bungee cords.  PING!  PING!  PING!   22 out of the ar pistol plinking the shit out of the plates!

I might get super fancy and bend the bungee hooks to fit around the cross bar better !  Thanks for all your guidance and help. We’ll see how long this set up last and holds up. For what I do, probably will be enough
Top Top