Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2017 1:49:57 PM EDT
Disclaimer: It has been 6-7 years since I shot any kind of competition match, and those were 2-gun (carbine/handgun). I really haven't been practicing shooting much in the last few years as I was busy diving all the time on my days off. Recently decided to shoot some matches because I was shocked at how poor my handgun skills were getting when going shooting with friends again.

Placed 8th overall of 27 shooters, and got 3rd in CCP.

Hernando Sportsman's Club IDPA December 2017

I know everything needs work (reloads, footwork/speed, fundamentals to make more accurate hits and be down zero on every target) but I was actually okay with this as a starting point. Shooting a stock G19, Safariland holster, using a rain jacket as a cover garment.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:38:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Another-Bill] [#1]
First off, nice shooting.

Keep working on accuracy, the speed will come on its own.

You can’t miss fast enough to win.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! The first stage my squad shot was the hardest one IMO (the one where you shoot the swinger first) - I had the usual jitters, but after that I felt pretty good with myself. If it had been more than six stages I think I would've continued to do better. The stages weren't in the correct order in the video.

I did notice I was trying to check my hits while reloading on the unlimited stages so I could put additional rounds on target if necessary. One time I know for sure that plan failed me miserably, I put five shots on a three round target and all of them were far left... that cost me a lot of time

Having the GoPro definitely helps, I plan on shooting some local bowling pin matches and stuff too. There isn't any movement in those, and minimal reloading, but should help with the fundamentals as they require some focus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot IPSC or USPSA for twenty years until my fourth and hopefully my last back surgery in 2007. I’ve contemplated getting back into the game. I have shot in a couple of Glock GSSF matches reciently, rusty I was! Lol.

It was a lot of fun, can’t decide if I should get back in with a Glock or go single stack. Shooting Production limits you to 10 rounds like a GSSF Match. I love the 1911.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

Any tips?
View Quote
Tips depend on your objective.  Do you want to score better in IDPA or be a better gunfighter?  They are not always the same thing.

To get better, more consistent hits, keep working on the Fundamentals of Marksmanship

As far as being a better gunfighter, I saw you reload while at least partially exposed to the enemy on several occasions.  I would make sure you are reloading while completely behind cover.

Some more detailed advice: The Tactical Advantage
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R_S:

Tips depend on your objective.  Do you want to score better in IDPA or be a better gunfighter?  They are not always the same thing.

To get better, more consistent hits, keep working on the Fundamentals of Marksmanship

As far as being a better gunfighter, I saw you reload while at least partially exposed to the enemy on several occasions.  I would make sure you are reloading while completely behind cover.

View Quote
Thanks for the links. Primary focus is winning the game, cardboard doesn't shoot back so I see no reason to miss out on any advantage I could take position-wise.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the links. Primary focus is winning the game, cardboard doesn't shoot back so I see no reason to miss out on any advantage I could take position-wise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R_S:

In that case try some USPSA.  Make B Class then go back and smoke all the IDPA guys.
Top Top