Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2023 4:38:49 PM EDT
This is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I think dropping the slide/bolt on an empty chamber is hard on the gun so I don't do it ever. Do snap caps weigh enough that they will slow the bolt/slide down enough while doing a reload so it's not like having an empty chamber. I weighed a loaded .223 round and an aluminum snap cap, 11 grams vs 7 grams.

I need to get more reps on on reloads. Tried the one shot, reload, one shot method and I started to pick up the bad habit of automatically going for the reload after one shot even if I want empty. Varying the amount of rounds in the first mag fixes that but then I don't get as many reps in as I'd like during my short shooting sessions.  

Practicing at home with the bolt locked back and letting the action chamber a snap cap from the fresh mag gets me the reload practice while not ingraining a first mag shot number in my head. But if it's going to cause more wear and tear on the gun I'll just bite the bullet and use more love rounds at the range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#1]
In my experience snap cap's are worth using to reduce the wear on your gun.  It is much more realistic to practice the loading sequence with snap caps.

I know a Master Class IDPA shooter that broke a number of firing pins on pistols which were said by the manufacturer to be okay for dryfire without snap caps, but 40,000+ reps later they failed.

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I use these. They have rubber primer inserts and weigh more than plastic snap caps.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I use dummy loads instead of snap caps for the increased weight of the rounds.  Most places that cater to competition shooters will have these.  

Top Top