Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2022 5:23:33 PM EDT
It's being called the Dicken Drill, after 22 yea old Elisjsha Dicken.  There are several variations out there already, but this is the best I've seen so far:

One Armed Hero is Better Than 100's of Heavier Armed Government Cowards: 15 Seconds vs. 77 Minutes
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can't, practice until you can

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:26:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#2]
Flannel Daddy has a video out about it.  I find him entertaining, but also insightful.

In one of the videos he mentions the 7 yard training regimen that most people adhere to, but recommends stretching out.  I typically train at 7 yards on paper and then 20 yards on 6"x8" falling plates.  During tonight's range session I'm going to start incorporating 50 yard handgun drills.  I occasionally fire a mag at a 20" steel gong at 100 yards but its mostly for entertainment.  I need to get serious about "extended engagement distances" especially considering the size of some of the spaces I occupy during my routine life.  The very last thing I would ever want to do is hurt an innocent person with an off-target round.

I won't even consider anything beyond 20 yards until I'm 9/10 at 50 yards under various stressful conditions and shooting positions.  It'll take a while but until then I'm keeping in my safety-zone of contact-to-20.

ETA: tonight I'm going to warm up at 50 yards using a Ruger MKIII 22LR before transitioning to my 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
Flannel Daddy has a video out about it.  I find him entertaining, but also insightful.

In one of the videos he mentions the 7 yard training regimen that most people adhere to, but recommends stretching out.  I typically train at 7 yards on paper and then 20 yards on 6"x8" falling plates.  During tonight's range session I'm going to start incorporating 50 yard handgun drills.  I occasionally fire a mag at a 20" steel gong at 100 yards but its mostly for entertainment.  I need to get serious about "extended engagement distances" especially considering the size of some of the spaces I occupy during my routine life.  The very last thing I would ever want to do is hurt an innocent person with an off-target round.

I won't even consider anything beyond 20 yards until I'm 9/10 at 50 yards under various stressful conditions and shooting positions.  It'll take a while but until then I'm keeping in my safety-zone of contact-to-20.

ETA: tonight I'm going to warm up at 50 yards using a Ruger MKIII 22LR before transitioning to my 9mm.
View Quote

Yeah, Garand Thumb's is a good one!!
How to stop a Mass Shooter, Mr Dicken the hero who stopped a tragedy

Most civilian shooting takes place at 7 yards or less, and 99% within 25 yards.  That said Gunsite, Paul Howe, and others have long trained pistol at much longer distances.  Long distance pistol is all about well executed fundamentals of marksmanship.  If anyone doesn't have ranges longer than 25 yards, then just shoot smaller targets.  For years I would practice keeping all my shots on the head at 25 yards.  Now a days I print up scaled reduced size targets.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By R_S:

Yeah, Garand Thumb's is a good one!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA7Rb-EX4K4

Most civilian shooting takes place at 7 yards or less, and 99% within 25 yards.  That said Gunsite, Paul Howe, and others have long trained pistol at much longer distances.  Long distance pistol is all about well executed fundamentals of marksmanship.  If anyone doesn't have ranges longer than 25 yards, then just shoot smaller targets.  For years I would practice keeping all my shots on the head at 25 yards.  Now a days I print up scaled reduced size targets.
View Quote

Thanks for linking it.

My range use to have steel gongs on the handgun bays out to 65 yards, but with the advent of 500S&W (etc) those gongs ended up getting destroyed and not replaced.  That is when I stopped shooting those distances and started focusing on the falling plates (20yds) and in.  As you stated, realistically the chances of needing to engage beyond 25 are slim but with the use of rifles in mass-casualty events having the ability to engage a hostile-murder at distance is becoming an increased possibility.  The worst that can happen from training "long" is your fundamentals improve.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
His perspective... red x is where scumbag shooter was...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By R_S:
It's being called the Dicken Drill, after 22 yea old Elisjsha Dicken.  There are several variations out there already, but this is the best I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQGZRtAyk38
View Quote

I have always drilled one shot per second, at 11, 25 and 50 yards.  And then 2 per second at 11 and 25.

He may have fired 8/10 in 15 seconds total... but that 15 seconds includes a few seconds where the shooter exited the rest room and started firing on the crowd.  So really he likely fired them in 12-13 seconds or less.  And he closed with the shooter at the same time.
Top Top