Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2023 1:12:04 PM EDT
I’m very right-handed and very left-eye dominant.

For years I did not know this, and my occasional attempts at hobby shooting went so poorly that it discouraged me for years from even messing with guns.

I only discovered my cross-dominance about a year and a half ago. I read online different suggestions on how to train cross-dominant. The most solid advice I received was simply to train left-handed.

I now exclusively shoot left-handed. This has been quite a learning curve and has been frustrating at times. I’m curious how many others have trained offhand because of cross-dominance, or if you used another technique.

I’m new around here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
It is very common in competitive rifle shooting. Some of the top rifle shooters in the country are right-handed cross-dominant shooters shooting left-handed.

If you commit to it, it doesn’t take too long to adapt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  I am the same but found out at an early age that I was cross eye dominant.

Since then, I've shot everything left handed.

It will feel natural after a while.  Practice mounting the gun 50-100 times a day to your shoulder.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mcculver5:
Yep.  I am the same but found out at an early age that I was cross eye dominant.

Since then, I've shot everything left handed.

It will feel natural after a while.  Practice mounting the gun 50-100 times a day to your shoulder.  

View Quote

Shooting a rifle left-handed came more naturally than a pistol. I easily work rifle both left & right with ease. Pistol is a much more retarded feeling.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:

Shooting a rifle left-handed came more naturally than a pistol. I easily work rifle both left & right with ease. Pistol is a much more retarded feeling.
View Quote

Yes I agree.  

But shooting to my dominant eye seems to be work out best for me.  

Wingshooting should always be done with the dominant eye for depth perception and leading the clay/animal.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Learning to shoot a rifle left handed may be beneficial, but you can totally continue to shoot handguns right handed being cross-eye dominant. I've trained quite a few people to do so. All you have to do is line the pistol up under your dominant eye.

Here's a picture I found from an article that shows how to do it, but feel free to reach out if I can help further.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I just close my other eye when dominance shifts, which it does for me. An alternative is to put a piece of tape over you left lense on shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Killface:
Learning to shoot a rifle left handed may be beneficial, but you can totally continue to shoot handguns right handed being cross-eye dominant. I've trained quite a few people to do so. All you have to do is line the pistol up under your dominant eye.

Here's a picture I found from an article that shows how to do it, but feel free to reach out if I can help further.

https://cdn.athlonoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2019/08/cross-eye-dominant-shooting-lead.jpg
View Quote

Came here to post this. Often very new shooters can switch to the same hand as their dominant eye. Others, not so much. So I teach them to simply shift the gun to match their dominant eye. Try both and see what works best for each student.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually tried right-hand shooting with left eye alignment. It was a miserable failure. Shooting pistols left-handed is the only accurate option I have. I got a Glock 19 and set it up left-hand mag drop and it’s becoming more natural. Pistols have certainly taken more time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Killface:

https://cdn.athlonoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2019/08/cross-eye-dominant-shooting-lead.jpg
View Quote

That's how I do it.

The biggest inconvenience is mag location on the belt, but I manage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WendyDerechos:
I actually tried right-hand shooting with left eye alignment. It was a miserable failure. Shooting pistols left-handed is the only accurate option I have. I got a Glock 19 and set it up left-hand mag drop and it’s becoming more natural. Pistols have certainly taken more time.
View Quote

If you've picked left, keep practicing.

Maybe try a red dot.

Get a dry fire practice system.

Run some drills and have fun.

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
1st off a brief introduction, I’m right handed, right eye dominant
I’ve been shooting USPSA since the mid 80’s and have a master classification in open, limited, production and PCC. About 2 years ago I experienced pain in my right wrist and shooting made it worse.  The Dr recommend PT and the rest to let it heal, rather than sit on my ass and feel sorry for myself, I bought left handed rigs and competed for over a year shooting cross dominate.  2 thing I learned, 1 shooting with my weak hand sucked, I could do it, but everything was forced, nothing felt natural. 2 shooting cross dominant wasn’t as big a deal as everyone made it out to be.  I found I sights easily without consciously doing anything different, and after awhile I realized I was subconsciously bending my right elbow our slightly more than my left which moved the gun in front of my right eye.
I’ve since went back to shooting right handed and the one plus of the whole experience is I no longer fear weak hand stages and find shooting weak hand only more natural
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 4:01:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm rt eye dominate and rt handed. When I was about 20 YO rabbit hunting with some friends, I pulled the trigger without having the 12ga firmly in my rt shoulder. Shoulder was sore so I started shooting left handed using the left eye the remainder of the day and solid hit a rabbit that popped up crossing in front of me. From that day forward started shooting both sides w/shotgun.

Our dept had us qualify shooting both sides with pistol and shotguns so I practiced it a lot more. Barricade shots had to be done with the least amount of your body exposed so you had to use the outside eye to the barricade. Rt side, Rt eye... Lt side, Lt eye.

When I start to miss targets shooting right side, switching to the left brings me back on target again. Closing the non-targeting eye helps me speed up target acquisition when switching hands.

We use a modified Weaver stance and switching which foot is back also helps reset the mind to which side and eye is being used. At least we've practiced that way enough to make work for us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I learned about my cross-dominant eye when I was a kid trying to shoot a .22 left-handed and kept missing the paper.
Switched my rifle to the right side and became a decent shooter.

I wish I'd learned to shoot handguns right-handed, but alas I'm old now and still shoot them left-handed.  It forces me into a Weaver stance, which I know isn't ideal.  And I'm quite sure it contributes to my being a pretty mediocre pistol shooter.

I'm 64, and I don't think I want to start learning the correct way.  More power to you if you can pull it off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I have trained numerous cross dominant shooters of both genders. For pistol, it’s only a 7 degree angle difference. For rifle, I have had the most success by switching to the hand matching the dominant eye. It takes a while, but the investment is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Right should injury in my 20s keep me away from centerfire rifles and shotguns for years.
In 2014 Coworker wanted me to shoot his AK and AR, I had never handled either. Right hand shooting hurt so I tried left, seemed ok.
So I bought an AK74 followed by an AR and joined this sight.
If you shoot regularly it's pretty easy to adapt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Does this apply when using a red dot?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By eddienyr:
Does this apply when using a red dot?
View Quote

You should have both eyes open when using a red dot. I would suggest keeping the same alignment that I showed in my previous post even when using a dot. Keep that muscle memory in case you have to switch to irons.

Pistols aren't all that much of a problem for cross-eye dominance. With rifles, you can move the dot way far forward. It looks silly, but works.

I'm trying to convince my wife to put a dot on a pistol and give it a try. So far she's been pretty stubborn on liking what I could find pre-milled. She tried out my PSA Micro Dagger yesterday and wants to see how she likes it under recoil. I don't have the heart to tell her that she can't have it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I just went red dot and never went back. I’ve been left handed for almost 40 years and right eye dominant. I’m not gonna ever naturally be right handed without constant work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By hellishhorses:

View Quote

We're in the exact same boat.
Top Top