Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2021 6:54:41 AM EDT
So I donated blood immediately before a Jujutsu class.

Did okay in general, but felt myself fading out a couple times, like if you stand up too quickly on a hot day sometimes.

Once I would have keeled over if I hadn't paused and taken a knee.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting experiment.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You donated more than one unit of blood?

One unit is not "significant" blood loss.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:05:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatPopsicle] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:

View Quote

Exactly.  There are specific studies on this for the ROLO and SOLO blood programs.  One unit is nothing.  I even did it myself working out 115mns right after a donation.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#4]

View Quote

If I leaked a pint of blood right now, I'd sure think it was significant. You are clearly made of sterner stuff.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Rodent:

If I leaked a pint of blood right now, I'd sure think it was significant. You are clearly made of sterner stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have seen the resulting puddle of blood where a man was shot dead lying on a tile floor.

Of course it was not all of the blood in him, as at some point his heart stopped pumping after being shot six times.

It was a significant size puddle!
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I say loosing 10% of your blood IS significant and thank you for your observations Rodent.

I'm sure loosing 20-30% is even more significant and have heard that after loosing 3 units it's pretty tough going.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Donor performance of combat readiness skills of special forces soldiers are maintained immediately after whole blood donation: a study to support the development of a prehospital fresh whole blood transfusion program

Study design and methods: Twenty-five fit male soldiers from a special forces unit were divided into three groups and tested on 1) a Bruce protocol treadmill stress test, push-ups, and pull-ups; 2) a 50-round rapid pistol shooting test; and 3) an uphill hiking exercise carrying a 20-kg backpack. After baseline testing, the soldiers performed the tests again (2-6 min) after donating 450 mL of blood. The training program included blood collection and reinfusion procedures and we measured success rate of venipuncture, time for blood collection, and success in placing sternal intraosseous needle and reinfusing 1 unit of autologous blood.

Results: We did not find any significant decrease in performance either in physical or in shooting performance after donating blood. Nonmedic soldiers had a 100% success rate in blood collection and also infusion on fellow soldiers after a short introduction to the procedures.

Conclusion: This study supports the fact that buddy transfusion may be feasible for healthy well-trained soldiers and does not decrease donor combat performance under ideal circumstances.
View Quote

Since not everybody is a fit male solider from a special forces unit I think knowing your personal limits and capabilities is a useful thing
Top Top