Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2019 3:14:34 PM EDT
The basics: I'm wearing a CR Speed inner and outer, holster is a RHT with the retention set just enough to have a 'click', and it sits on a BOSS hanger. I'm wearing golf shorts which are a pretty soft and don't offer much in terms of support, but I do have the inner belt cinched tight.

As you can see in the video, the gun and holster tend to move together and pivot towards my body around the belt, before clearing.

I think there are multiple factors -- the shorts I'm wearing, and my technique. I had never gotten slow-mo video of my draw before this, but friends were commenting that my draw "looked bad today" (this is the first time I've worn these shorts with this gun/holster/hanger combo). I'm a C level shooter. I can't tell if my wrist rotation is causing the holster to pull rotate like it is, or if that is happening as a result of the holster retention and belt/short combo causing that to occur before the gun breaks free.

I think at a minimum I need to get some video of the same rig in jeans to rule the shorts in/out.

Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Loosen tension screws and you are torquing as you draw.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks like you're pulling it up at a slight angle, towards your neck, like this: \

I had some major struggles with my draw last year when I got back into Steel Challenge after not shooting any pistol sports for a long while.

To fix it, I downloaded a shot timer app to my phone and did some dryfire draw and presentation work.  10 minutes a day, everyday, for two weeks made a noticeable difference.  Beep, draw, present, click.  Repeat for 10 minutes.

I also switched my VP9's grip from the small backstrap to the medium.  The small feels more comfortable, but the medium was giving me a more consistent grip, thus saving me time since I didn't have to readjust my grip.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Things that helped me:

Take an extra nanosecond to make sure the web of my hand is seated high. Sucks to shoot a stage with a goofy grip, it doesn't feel right.

I had a cheap plastic holster on a floppy belt that would bind if I did anything other than a straight pull. It taught me consistency (until I got a Ghost holster!)

Get to the gun as fast as possible. When assuming the start position, I'd have a grip on the pistol, assume the position, and the last thing to get in place was my strong hand.

Decide in advance what is an acceptable sight picture. For a wide open 3 yd target, index is all I need. For a 25 yd hostage target, I need a near perfect sight picture. So many people dry fire and practice to be fast, but a 0.68 second draw to a miss sucks. Spend at least some practice drawing to precise targets so you don't feel the urge to rush.

Find a Master class shooter in your club and ask for some help, most will be happy to give you some pointers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Your shorts have nothing to do with it if your belts are tight, there was a local guy that was pretty good and didn't bother going thru the loops.

Your holster doesn't need to click, it needs to hold your gun well enough it doesn't fall out all the time, preferably at all. I set my game holsters so I can turn it muzzle up and not have the gun fall unless I shake it pretty good, if I run for some reason gun holstered I usually put a hand on the gun for good measure. I snug up just a tiny bit for 2-gun stuff.

If it is something in your draw, you might try moving the holster fore or aft, putting a little cant in it, or shimming to tilt it in or out.
I like mine almost as far forward as legal, canted back a tiny bit, and as close to vertical viewed from the front as possible, tipped out (muzzle toward leg) tends to cause me what you're dealing with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:09:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Compare the 6 second mark to the 8 second mark....there is enough tension to pull your holster up about 2" before it releases  the gun.

Start to loosen the tension just a little at a time, and do some more slo mo videos to see your change/improvement.

_
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
So I ended up swapping the tension screws for knobs, and loosening them up during the "make ready" portion (then tightening them after so I didn't accidentally knock the gun out while pasting targets), which seemed to help a lot. I also noticed that the holster was not parallel to the drop hanger -- it must have bent a bit when I heated it up with a heat gun to make my new gas pedal fit. So I heated it again and let it cool parallel to the hanger. I didn't notice any major draw issues like what is seen in the video during my match Saturday.

I have practice tonight, so I'll have my buddy get another slow-mo video to compare further.
Top Top