Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2018 12:24:56 AM EDT
I'm pretty new here, sorry if this isn't the right place for this post. I didn't see a section for knives at all.

Due to starting college my finances need to be scaled back seeing as I wont be able to work as many hours as normal, the days of hanging out at the gun store will have to cease for a considerable amount of time. Ive been trying to figure out a cheap way to bide my time while still staying in the fight and Ive been considering karambit training but I want to get some other opinions, thoughts, and inputs. Ive watched a few videos of the different styles and ways the karambit can be used, from first glance it seems extremely brutal and effective, maybe you guys can help me out?

-Does anyone here use a karambit as an EDC?
-If you think there pointless, tell me why?
-Is the form of fighting associated with it practical or just made to look fancy?
-What type of karambit do you recommend?
-Are there any legality issues that can he held against you in court if you use a karambit in self defense? excessive force as compared to a regular knife maybe?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
youtube Doug Marcaida and watch, he shows quite a few techniques with the karambit. it is limited in it's practical uses, but for self-defense, it is a good option. There is also a youtube documentary on a college age guy who actually used one in self-defense and the attacker was not immediately aware he had been cut a few times.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 1:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow. That guy is no joke, he makes it look so fluid and easy.

I couldn't find the video about the man who didn't realize he had been cut however that's kind of alarming because in a real world event not only am I failing to stop the attack but now I'm also getting covered in my attackers blood. I guess its the adrenaline that kept him going.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HBFinster:
I'm pretty new here, sorry if this isn't the right place for this post. I didn't see a section for knives at all.

Due to starting college my finances need to be scaled back seeing as I wont be able to work as many hours as normal, the days of hanging out at the gun store will have to cease for a considerable amount of time. Ive been trying to figure out a cheap way to bide my time while still staying in the fight and Ive been considering karambit training but I want to get some other opinions, thoughts, and inputs. Ive watched a few videos of the different styles and ways the karambit can be used, from first glance it seems extremely brutal and effective, maybe you guys can help me out?

-Does anyone here use a karambit as an EDC?
-If you think there pointless, tell me why?
-Is the form of fighting associated with it practical or just made to look fancy?
-What type of karambit do you recommend?
-Are there any legality issues that can he held against you in court if you use a karambit in self defense? excessive force as compared to a regular knife maybe?

Thanks for your input.
View Quote
I EDC an Emerson Super Karambit.  You can slash and pick with it, extend for range (swing it around your index finger) and fight with it very close in.

My primary use for it in a fight will be firearm retention.  I call it my "cut you off of my gun" knife.  Strong hand working to retain my pistol, support hand deploying the karambit.  If bad guy is in close trying to steal my pistol, I can slash/stick femoral, abdomen, and carotid/jugular very, very easily.

Marcaida is a master, he makes it look so easy.  I hope to find a class he is teaching near to me soon.

If you get a Karambit, GET A TRAINER knife as well.  Your forearms will thank you.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#4]
A strong and extensive background in bare hand combatives is what most edged weapons trainers of any repute will require first. Some will say it's just them making a buck but the essentials are still necessary.

"Hanging around the gun store" is in and of itself not a qualification one would be advised to point out. Some practical/actual military/leo training would be far superior and credible should credentials be needed.

A karambit is just a knife - there are others that can be used and which are equally recommended by others for "git off me" work. Those are generally purposed blades not used for any other tasks. That leads to what blade you already EDC and why would it not be considered as it's already on you?

Lots of folks don't carry specialty blades of a self defense nature simply because their primary blade can do that job and they will be much more familiar with it as it gets used and reinforced dozens of times a day. Special blade, special carry, special motions vs normal low profile blade, used normally all day, normal familiar motions. We really only have so much time to dedicate to training and it adds up - an EDC will have triple the use vs an hour a week with a "combat" blade.

A Sharpy in the top front pocket and a lock blade in your jeans pocket, you might already be well covered day to day. Impact weapon, edged weapon. Either will be useless without bare hand defense techniques well practiced and a mind toward not being attacked in the first place.

Lots of folks ask what is the best HD weapon and never ask how they could secure the home better in the first place. In Europe they put up defensive fencing up to an including barbed wire, in America you walk across the lawn and break the window in the door, IN!

Same with our personal security. We ask what exotic tool we should use but have no idea what to do if two guys walk up and cross the street to confront us. Goes to why did you get into the situation in the first place? Wrong place wrong time.

Less about what knife, more about how to avoid it and then how you could handle yourself no weapons at all.

#walkaway from the gun counter was a good move. Keep walking.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tirod:

"Hanging around the gun store" is in and of itself not a qualification one would be advised to point out.

#walkaway from the gun counter was a good move. Keep walking.
View Quote
I never said hanging around the gun store was a qualification, it was a metaphor. I see your an expert in keyboard combat, thats impressive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow. That guy is no joke, he makes it look so fluid and easy.

I couldn't find the video about the man who didn't realize he had been cut however that's kind of alarming because in a real world event not only am I failing to stop the attack but now I'm also getting covered in my attackers blood. I guess its the adrenaline that kept him going.
View Quote
I think there is a video regarding this incident: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/cleared-after-stabbing-ex-uw-student-wants-his-life-back/
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing i teach where i train is knife fighting is messy and should not be taken lightly.  Never engage in a knife fight if you can avoid it.  The winner is going to the hospital, and the loser to the morgue.  If a small blade is all you have and your hand is being forced, then do what you got to do.  Find a place that teaches and learn.  You are never too old to start any kind of M.A.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Find someone near you that teaches Kali. That is the martial art that Doug Marcaida makes look easy and will teach you empty hand, blade and stick techniques. I carry a Spyderco Karahawk as a retention knife.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
That is a big problem with using short knives. Slashing attacks are generally ineffective unless you cut a major artery, and even then, it can take minutes for blood loss to render your opponent ineffective.

Yes, if you cut someone with a knife, their blood will get all over you.

Guns are way better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Find someone near you that teaches Kali.
View Quote
This^ silat practitioners as well.  Check out videos by Tuhon Bill McGrath(Pekiti Tirsia) and Maul Mornie(SSBD).  Both are very good with karambits
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 6:23:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GerryOwen] [#11]
I love the kerambit, but no... It’s a niche weapon. To call it pointless would be going too far, but it isn’t as versatile as a standard blade. You can be effective with one but you really have to know what you’re doing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GerryOwen:
I love the kerambit, but no... It’s a niche weapon. To call it pointless would be going too far, but it isn’t as versatile as a standard blade. You can be effective with one but you really have to know what you’re doing.
View Quote
Not to mention that if you ever actually used one, the prosecutor would have a field day, and a sympathetic jury would be hard to find.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Achilleas] [#13]
Originally Posted By cvtrpr:

If you get a Karambit, GET A TRAINER knife as well.  Your forearms will thank you.

View Quote

Cannot stress this enough !!

When you cut a vein in your wrist it's amazing how quick the blood covers your desk, computer and clothes.  

I decided the Karambit was cool but not for me.

Top Top